• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking in the house

Another garage smoker, here. No ventilation, though, unless it's warm enough to open the doors. Would like to install a fan to vent some air, but we're renting, so it's probably not feasible.

Got a nice big basement going to waste. If we'd bought and were going to be here a while, I'd build a room. Again, renting is the problem here. :laugh:

I smoke in my sun porch. It's non-insulated, but I get by with a small electric ceramic heater, which will bring the temp up to between 60-65 when the temp outdoors is in the 30s.

I can't imaging smoking cigars in the house without some residual odor.

I don't know of a ventilation system made that will completely eliminate the odor of a cigar. Most non smoker will always be able to smell the smoke, which in my house is everyone else. I smoke on a covered a patio in the warm months and in the garage with a kerosene heater in the cold months.
Tom

I don't know of a ventilation system made that will completely eliminate the odor of a cigar. Most non smoker will always be able to smell the smoke, which in my house is everyone else. I smoke on a covered a patio in the warm months and in the garage with a kerosene heater in the cold months.
Tom

And Wednesday's?

I smoke in the Garage with a space heater and the garage door cracked. I have a nice cap to keep the head warm and a nice drink to keep the body warm.

I also try and smoke shorter cigars in the winter as well. So I am not out there for hours.

Already tried before to smoke indoors and my wife put a stop to that in the planning phase.

just suck it up and smoke outside! Or, head out to AZ for the winter. I've been enjoying the pleasant nights on my patio as of late... :p As much as I love the smell of cigar smoke, I can't imagine having my home smell like smoke.

You guys are all pussies......:sign:

Put on a coat, pour a scotch, and head outside. I sit outside on our covered decks year round. When it gets below 30, I'll run the propane patio heater.

One thing when it's super cold outside is it's also usually super dry, RH wise. A valuable trick, believe it or not, is to quickly run your cigar under running water to moisten the wrapper just before you go outside to smoke. It works wonders on smokes with super thin wrappers; some of the early Pepin sticks come to mind.

Bundle up and enjoy the winter......B.B.S.
What kind of outdoor propane heater do you use and does it help? We just bought a house and that'll be my only option :( I was just wondering because I can't find too many reviews of units from smokers. I'd hate to waste my money.
Thanks

I picked up a commercial ozone generator when I took up smoking again last December. Problem solved. No odor of cigars in my apartment, and I can ozone the car (detail shops typically charge $40 for this option) if I've been smoking in it. Ozone is the only thing that with eliminate odors completely. So I can sit and enjoy a movie in the comfort of my living room and not have to worry about smelling smoke for two weeks later.

I leave a dead opossum in the corner and nobody seems to notice the smoke odor.

I picked up a commercial ozone generator when I took up smoking again last December. Problem solved. No odor of cigars in my apartment, and I can ozone the car (detail shops typically charge $40 for this option) if I've been smoking in it. Ozone is the only thing that with eliminate odors completely. So I can sit and enjoy a movie in the comfort of my living room and not have to worry about smelling smoke for two weeks later.

I'll have to check this out. I got an Ionic Breeze tower and it specifically mentions not to use in the area where someone is smoking. Ruins the filter or something like that...

You guys are all pussies......
sign.gif

Put on a coat, pour a scotch, and head outside. I sit outside on our covered decks year round. When it gets below 30, I'll run the propane patio heater.

One thing when it's super cold outside is it's also usually super dry, RH wise. A valuable trick, believe it or not, is to quickly run your cigar under running water to moisten the wrapper just before you go outside to smoke. It works wonders on smokes with super thin wrappers; some of the early Pepin sticks come to mind.

What kind of outdoor propane heater do you use and does it help? We just bought a house and that'll be my only option
sad.gif
I was just wondering because I can't find too many reviews of units from smokers. I'd hate to waste my money.
Thanks
To begin with, both our decks are covered. The perimiter is open (except the side against the house). Our lower deck is maybe 15' high against the house and 9' at the yard end. As such, it works very well for a propane heater; it retains some of the heat, blocks some of the wind, and is a very pleasant place to sit outside and smoke. Even in the frequent rains we have here in the Pacific Northwest.

We have a heater that looks exactly like this one. I think we paid about $230.00 for it.

Regards - B.B.S.

Here on the Texas Coast, winter is the ONLY time I smoke outdoors. It's starting to get gorgeous out again, and will mostly stay like that through early June.

It's summers that are insufferable---hot and humid and miserable. But then, as a naturalized rather than a native Texan, I've always been willing to make that trade off. After all, you don't have to shovel humidity! :laugh:

~Boar

You guys are all pussies......
sign.gif

What kind of outdoor propane heater do you use and does it help? We just bought a house and that'll be my only option
sad.gif
I was just wondering because I can't find too many reviews of units from smokers. I'd hate to waste my money.
Thanks
To begin with, both our decks are covered. The perimiter is open (except the side against the house). Our lower deck is maybe 15' high against the house and 9' at the yard end. As such, it works very well for a propane heater; it retains some of the heat, blocks some of the wind, and is a very pleasant place to sit outside and smoke. Even in the frequent rains we have here in the Pacific Northwest.

We have a heater that looks exactly like this one. I think we paid about $230.00 for it.

Regards - B.B.S.
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at ones similar to these and the table top versions. Though the larger one probably is the best having just bought a house I'm trying to pinch pennies, this year anyways.

After all, you don't have to shovel humidity! :laugh:

~Boar
yeah I just bought a snow blower today, actually. :(

Hey BBS, How many hours of use would you guess you typically get out of a tank?

It's summers that are insufferable---hot and humid and miserable. But then, as a naturalized rather than a native Texan, I've always been willing to make that trade off. After all, you don't have to shovel humidity! :laugh:

I like that thinking.

.....I've never figured it out, but it's a lot. We run the thing for maybe an hour at a time, maybe three or four days a week when it's really cold. I can't recall ever having to get it refilled more than once, maybe twice over the winter....??

What kind of outdoor propane heater do you use and does it help? We just bought a house and that'll be my only option :( I was just wondering because I can't find too many reviews of units from smokers. I'd hate to waste my money.
Thanks
This link goes to the type of portable propane heater I use when it's too cold outside for my comfort. I like it a lot. Each of the two 'eyes' are independent of each other. You can turn one on or both and they can be turned to face in the same or opposing directions. That really helps conserve fuel, as I can turn just one on to its lowest setting for me only or both on at higher setting(s) in different directions when in use with guests present. Also, I find its height is perfect for smoking, as I'm nearly always sitting when smoking on my balcony and directly in line of sight of its radiant heat.

I know it's not the prettiest choice on the block, but I searched for it specifically for my cold weather smoking use and I'm very happy with its function in that regard. I attached it to a 5gal propane tank I purchased from Costco. Those cost about the same or less than any Blue Rhino, Amerigas, et al propane tanks - only the Costco models come with an included fuel gauge. The kinda fuel gauge that I've found to run about $20 as an accessory item and I'm really glad to have it (especially at no extra cost).

The model heater I have uses piezo ignition, which I strongly prefer. I don't know if the one I linked to employs that ignition method. Sorry, gotta rush off now and don't have time search out its manual.

I'm smoking inside for the first time. I've got the basement finished with drop ceiling and laminate floors. The room is primarily a home theater but the back of the theater has a large corner that I've made the smoking corner. The room is about 325 sq ft. I installed an inline fan with an 8 inch intake and exhast. It moves about 475 cu ft. I ran 6 inch ducts off the main to three intakes for the room. I've been smoking for about 30 min, and went upstairs and no smell on the main floor or upstairs. The question will be how much remnant smell is there tomorrow. I will let the fan run for awhile once I'm done. I'm hoping it will handle 3 to 4 smokers. The fan makes no noise but there is some intake noise at the vents because it is pulling so hard. I hope this works I've only got about $350.00 into it which is way less than filtering. The garage was brutaly cold last year, and this year is supposed to be colder.

.....I've never figured it out, but it's a lot. We run the thing for maybe an hour at a time, maybe three or four days a week when it's really cold. I can't recall ever having to get it refilled more than once, maybe twice over the winter....??
Thanks Tom, that seems very reasonable. I think I'm sold though I'm guessing I would probably need to refill it 3-4 times over the winter (because I'm a pussy :laugh: ).

edited for spelling