• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sometime on July 10th I will smoke my last cigar...

Good luck Jeff! Hoping all goes well! If it were me, I'd probably smoke the OR release Opus Jonesy gifted, along with one or two aged high dolla ISOMs.

I've had a deviated septum fixed twice, the second time with cartilage shaving on the top and sides. My nose is straight but the bump on top did come back although not nearly as much and the breathing passages remain open to this day. My fixes were required because of getting it broken during fights and not because of some congenital defect so your results may differ.

Congrats on taking the biggest step...having this done.

It's going to be pretty uncomfortable right after the surgery...swollen face and the lack of breathing through you nose, which I venture to guess you haven't done much of anyway....your head feels like a balloon and weighs 100lbs. Think Vicodin, 750s, they work wonders. (oh yeah, swallowing is an adventure too) But EVERY DAY you get better, the swelling goes down and you start looking like yourself again....take pictures, you will be amazed how fast this happens. Then as the healing continues and your senses come back, you get to the point that you will ask yourself, "why did I wait so long to do this?..I feel so much better."

Jeff, you have suffered so much pain already that the recovery from this event will not be as bad as you think...because now you see the prize at the end. Before this you were caught in the "Loop of Hell"....patching up things and really feeling no relief, which effects your mind set and makes you even more miserable. Your done with that now. There is the possible lose of smell, one that the Lawyers make all Doctors bring to the fore front "just in case." It will be gone when you wake up but with luck, will come back slowly, the fun part is rediscovering all the smells you took for granted...you'll be like a kid again sniffing all kinds of things. There is also the possibility of slight nerve damage and that your sense of smell may be weakened, which is a small price to pay for the relief of pain IMO, but you will be able to amaze your friends at parties when you can stick a piece of Limburger up there with no ill effects! After the sinus reconstruction, the septum repair will be a walk in the park...the removal of the scar tissue on the nose tip will only improve your chances in Hollywood, but then again, Karl Malden made a handsome living with his schnoz the way it was.

When you are all nicely healed in 9 months to a year, you'll have a humi filled with some nice aged smokes waiting for you....then when you light one up for the first time since the operation and see all that white smoke billowing around and filling the room...BANG!, it will hit you.....you will remember what a fine cigar truly smells & tastes like again....pure heaven my man, pure heaven.

As for the cigar to smoke now, who cares, smoke them all and celebrate......you're going to be able to breath & sleep peacefully again!

Good Luck :thumbs:

Speedy recovery Jeff. Having surgery is bad, not being able to smoke after is downright painful. Whenever you feel like a smoke, just let me know and I will burn one for ya! :D

Fish

The hardest situations to manage are the ones where you know you have to go through something major, but have to wait a while before so. Then you can't stop thinking about it and wondering about all the facets of fallacy that humans tend to dwell on.

So I hope you can kick back in the meantime and relax, and I think everything will turn out for the better in the end. Good luck.

Oh, and if the time comes and you have too many smokes in your humi, I will gladly relieve you of that burden.

Speedy recovery, brother! I'm with Infinity: Smoke your second best, and hold the best for your first "back on the stick" smoke.

Do what you have to do, cigars will be right here waiting for you. :) :thumbs:

I really hope things go well for you bro.

And not to be a dick or anything, but I'd go with the Padron Familia Reserva.

Well, if my experience is any guide, you'll emerge with flying colors. I had a deviated septum fixed and polyp removed in 1999, and I'm none the worse for wear. Make sure to fill your Rx for painkillers beforehand, though. A friend of mine was so doped up after surgery that she failed to notice that her doctor had written, BUT NOT SIGNED, her scrip ... which was bad. And very unpleasant.

Suggestions for the smoke. Stick to something medium rather than big and extremely strong; you don't want a cigar to knock you over with a huge wave of nicotine. Smooth rather than rough, same reason.

Something longer rather than shorter - I've renewed my affection for coronas of late but there's a time for a long, drawn out smoke with your thoughts. And something that will evolve through its length.

All that said, you don't necessarily need something really rare. I think that if it came to my last smoke for a while, I'd pick up a El Rey Del Mundo or Partagas ISOM; a 5 Vegas or CAO Gold, perhaps an Oliva Angel 100. Maybe even a Gran Habano VL or a Punch Double Maduro. The choice is yours, the world is your oyster.

Good Luck on the Surgery Jeff,

As for the smoke. I would personally smoke my favorite, whatever that happened to be. The one cigar I would miss more than any others if I was never able to smoke one again.

And if thats not an option I'd follow Brian #1's advice and smoke my second rarest and save the rarest for the celebration after the surgery.

Hope all goes well and keep us informed. Just because you can't smoke doesn't mean you can't give us hell on here.

Josh

I wish you the best Jeff. My wife had her deviated septum fixed several years ago and is much better off for it. Smoke a good one and don't be a stranger on here.

Best wishes as you go through with this surgery Jeff. I probably would benefit from something similar but am too 'chicken' to find out.

Smoke a good one; a CC if you have one.

Dan

Hey my best friend in high school had that surgery 20 years ago and never looked back so don't sweat it. :cool:

I'd smoke whatever you favorites are; doesn't have to be high dollar, your "go to / you know you'll love it smoke". :thumbs:

Smoke something from the Snoop Dogg collection. :D

Best of luck on the procedure and a speedy, successful recovery. As was stated earlier, you'll have a nice humidor. There should also be some cheese waiting.

Jeff,

I wish you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. It sounds like Ironpeddler has you covered on the recovery experience. Nicely written, sir!

As for what to smoke, my suggestion is this: smoke your most comforting, familiar, reliable cigar. Take with you through recovery the memory of a good and loyal friend. That is what would leave me in a frame of mind to be abstinent for all those months. Once you complete your recovery, spark up another one of these and relish it like coming back to the cabin and seeing your faithful dog waiting for you on the porch, tail a waggin'.

Then and only then spark up your best. :)

Wilkey

You poor thing!! I am sooooooo sorry! I didn't realize how bad it was for you! Personally I agree with Wilkey on the advice (and that would be a "Willy" right :laugh: :laugh: ?). Hey if you aren't busy this 4th of July weekend, you can come out to Tobacco Road on Saturday and we can have a mini herf? Let us know, it would be great to see ya bro :cool: !

We will definitely be praying for you as you go through this trial bro.

Julie

Good luck and speedy recovery. I would have to choose the Padron Family Blend #44 for my last smoke.

Sorry to hear about everything that is going on with you. Hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.