• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Space Geeks

There are typically at least 2 launches every week anymore. None of them have been overly exciting.

However on Monday 9-26, NASA is going to slam a rocket into an asteroid in hopes that it can alter its orbit. This would be very valuable in a situation where there is an asteroid that is headed for earth. The collision will be live streamed. It could take months before we actually know if it worked.

Here is some cool info and times

Because I am already posting, here are the next few Launches

Delta IV Heavy **Saturday Sept 24th**

Also on Saturday Falcon 9 will launch more Starlink satellites ( no link )

Maiden flight of the RS1 **Monday Sept 26th **
This is a very cool company. They made their rocket small and able to be taken apart and shipped in containers. They use a KISS approach to rocket building which allows them to rebuild a stage 2 in just 3 days.

Artemis Launch **Friday Sept 30th **
NASA is set to launch the Orion spacecraft to a distant retrograde lunar orbit atop the Space Launch System (SLS) for its maiden launch. Launching from Launch Complex 39B, at the Kennedy Space Center, in Florida, the Artemis I mission will certify both Orion and the SLS Block 1 rocket for crewed spaceflight; its next mission–aptly named Artemis II–will be crewed, and bring a yet-announced crew to lunar orbit (but will not land on the lunar surface).
This is how the aliens are going to come. We are going to slam a rocket into their asteroid home, kill a few alien wives and kids, and piss off the population. They will send an alien revenge party to Earth, and then we get to find out what kind of secret defense technology the government has really been hiding. Can't blame the aliens, though; we'd nuke their asses if they did it to us!

Re: Artemis -- there have been so many little problems in the past few weeks with this rocket that you couldn't pay me enough to gamble on being part of that first crewed mission.

You They had a really cool angle of stage one landing back on the ship also this time. That's my favorite part!
I'll have to check out the video, but they actually showed it this time? Usually they cut away from the feed right as it is about to touch down -- presumably so that they don't show it going KABLOOEY! live if it were to do so.

I'll have to check out the video, but they actually showed it this time? Usually they cut away from the feed right as it is about to touch down -- presumably so that they don't show it going KABLOOEY! live if it were to do so.
Indeed, watch the replay. Amazing how sweet the touchdown was. Looked simple, but I would hate to see the math that went into it.

They don't normally cut out, the video feed typically fails because its hooked to the ship and thats under a lot of pressure when the stage 1 lands. This time they used the camera on the stage 1 rocket so it held its own.

We went to an observatory a few hours away last night. It was incredible! There was about an half-hour planetarium show, and then we went up into the dome to see the telescopes. We were able to see Jupiter and Saturn crystal clear; it looked like I was peering into a View-Master toy! I'm still kind of blown away that I was able to see Saturn and its rings like that. I didn't think that I would get much out of the experience, but now I'm wanting a telescope. :p

If anyone is bored, at 10am CST (25 minutes from now) Russia is going to launch a ship carrying a new satellite to replace one that has failed. The announcer lady has a mean look on her face. I have no idea what she is saying but if it isn't that someone ran over her cat yesterday I would surprised.

Link to watch:

Link to info: https://everydayastronaut.com/angosat-2-proton-m-blok-dm-03/

Last edited:
If anyone is board, at 10am CST (25 minutes from now) Russia is going to launch a ship carrying a new satellite to replace one that has failed. The announcer lady has a mean look on her face. I have no idea what she is saying but if it isn't that someone ran over her cat yesterday I would surprised.

Link to watch:

Link to info: https://everydayastronaut.com/angosat-2-proton-m-blok-dm-03/
Twelve minutes. Watching!

*EDIT* I'm sorry about her cat, but I'd gladly be a her mark for a honey trap if she wants to play spy some night...

Twelve minutes. Watching!

*EDIT* I'm sorry about her cat, but I'd gladly be a her mark for a honey trap if she wants to play spy some night...
She's pretty, but has a stuck up look about her. Plus she could do with a hamburger or two.

Would be nice if they were translating, would enjoy comparing to our launches. At this time it looks like we have a hold [ 18 ], but I'm just guessing.

That's awesome Nick, thanks for sharing.
We are in the dome now for a film, and it is huuuuuge. I cannot even get a good scope of it on panorama. I’d say the dome is at LEAST 15 meters in diameter. This place is awesome.

We are in the dome now for a film, and it is huuuuuge. I cannot even get a good scope of it on panorama. I’d say the dome is at LEAST 15 meters in diameter. This place is awesome.
WOW VERY JELLY!!! When I come visit you, remind me we need to add this to the list :)

SpaceX Falcon9 Heavy is going up in 10 Minutes
Info:

Stream for 8:40 CST