• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sports cards

CMontoya79

Newb Le professional!
Curious. Are there any sports card collectors/investors present?

For some crazy reason, the current industry seems to be experiencing a boom and high demand.

Ebay, facebook groups, Amazon. Most old stuff is low value, but an example. I just sold an old Ichiro Topps rookie from 2001 that had been sitting in my old stuff doing nothing, for $40.

I wonder how many kids had these cards clipped on (with close pins) to the forks of their bikes? I know I did!!

My father in law and his siblings. Very likely. I know my dad would share such stories when I was a child and was collecting 80’s-90’s era baseball cards.

Hell, as a 10 year old kid, I’d be at the local flea market with my parents selling stuff. They actually allowed me, with about $120 in saved up cash, to buy sports cards from a wholesale distributor and resell at the flea market with them.

Unfortunately, when I was 12, my father passed, the sports card boom of the early 90’s was starting to fade, and no more trips to the flea market for a while.

My parents instilled in me how to hustle/sell. Now. Had they not gone out of business with the jewelry store, had they been able to convince a co-creator of a cleaning product to sell the formula for millions, perhaps I’d be an entrepreneur.

I was able to learn a lot. Most unfortunately, my life has been littered with aspirations of wealth, when the reality is, life gets in the way, so life gets the priority of where my focus remains.

Filed under someday. As I’ve always shared with my wife, I’ll never give up. I encourage my fellow B/SOTL here, to also persevere.

I still have my old baseball cards from the late 80's early 90's. I have no idea if there's any value in any of them. When I was collecting I remember Mark McGuire and Greg Jeffries rookie cards were all the rage.

I still have my old baseball cards from the late 80's early 90's. I have no idea if there's any value in any of them. When I was collecting I remember Mark McGuire and Greg Jeffries rookie cards were all the rage.

Yep, those were the days....
Don Mattingly
Wade Boggs
Jose Canseco
Barry Bonds
Wally Joyner
Roger Clemons

Rumor is that upcoming Bonds and McGuire documentaries are expected to have a similar effect as Jordan’s documentary did on his collectibles. There was a surge in price, seekers elevating demand.

Like other “investments” buy low, sell high is the goal.

C what is a 1973 Roberto Clemente go for, it includes his 3,000 hit in the stats? Also have a 1980 #1 draft pick Darryl Strawberry and a complete box set of Desert Shield/Storm cards.

I had a good collection at one time stolen from me about 15 years ago. Among them were mint condition Reggie Jackson, Sandy Koufax, and Rod Carew Topps Rookies. 😕

I don’t even want to look at values of them.

C what is a 1973 Roberto Clemente go for, it includes his 3,000 hit in the stats? Also have a 1980 #1 draft pick Darryl Strawberry and a complete box set of Desert Shield/Storm cards.
Clemente about $35 ungraded in good condition on the bay. If graded 9 mint, $725. Straw $1. The box of desert storm cards complete set $8-$10. Unopened box of packs $10-$20.

Clemente about $35 ungraded in good condition on the bay. If graded 9 mint, $725. Straw $1. The box of desert storm cards complete set $8-$10. Unopened box of packs $10-$20.
Thanks C, I guess I can't buy that box of Cuban Davidoff's!

Last edited:
I had a good collection at one time stolen from me about 15 years ago. Among them were mint condition Reggie Jackson, Sandy Koufax, and Rod Carew Topps Rookies. 😕

I want to look at values of them.
About a hundred grand for all of them in perfect condition... just the Koufax @ $60,000

Oh lord, scares me to think of cards I had in the late 40's and 50's that did the bicycle thing. Mantle, Yogi etc.

for my wife, she is a Yankee's fan, but since we have the Rangers, she just thinks Andrus is the man, so I did some serious shopping for autographs and plain singles. Did well. Found her 17 cards and she was happy. She be happy, I BE HAPPY.