• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Star in a Reasonably Priced Car Pass

Marco-Polo

Go Irish Go!
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Every CP member has a set of everyday favorites – ones that taste and smell like the big dollar smokes, but aren’t priced at a level that lets them regularly get into a trade. In the spirit of sharing mine (and finding yours), I’m proposing the “Star in a reasonably priced car” pass.

For people that don’t follow Top Gear on the BBC, “Star in a reasonably priced car” is a segment where they put a celebrity on the racetrack in an economy car. So the Star in a reasonably priced car pass is going to concentrate on sticks that are reasonably priced, but most importantly undervalued for some reason or another. Typically these will be in the $3-6 range. I’ll throw in a few sticks above the range for fun and to provide an upper bound, and there will be at least one or two below this range that need to get included because they really are that good.

I’ve personally smoked at least 1 of each of these, reviewed a lot of them on CP, and think that each is a B+ or above. It’s my advice that you’ve smoked and personally enjoyed any put, and would buy more if they’re available. It's highly encouraged but not mandatory to post a tiny blurb saying why you like each put, and why it’s a “star in a reasonably priced car”. (ie, Angel 100 1961. Excellent flavor & aroma, good construction, well-aged, but ugly as sin.) In other words, tell your fellow passers why they should try it. It's also encouraged that takes are sticks that you haven't yet tried.

A not unintended result of the Star in a reasonably priced car pass is that more people will be able to participate, as there’s no need to crack the “special” humidor which has sticks that you keep just to trade or gift, not to smoke yourself.

This pass will be managed by myself, and Gonz has graciously agreed to act as advisor and mentor.

Ground rules
1. CP member in good standing (3 months active, 1 successful pass or trade). Newer members are welcome; FOGs are welcome; a mixed crowd is best.
2. Minimum P/T rule – at least 4, in order to make it worthwhile for everyone. No maximum.
3. Notify the group when you’re ready to receive, when you receive the box, when you’re ready to ship, and post the DC#
4. Public takes/puts and all questions and answers - post to the thread and I’ll answer the thread
5. When you receive: inventory and inspect the box
6. When you ship: use USPS 2-day service
7. Puts & takes: 1 for 1. No ISOMs, no “rarities”. (If you want to include these, you’re totally missing the point…)
8. Equal puts for equal takes. In the case that a price isn't readily obvious (use the cigarcyclopedia reference, or google), ask the question. There are no stupid questions.
9. No host bag or tagalongs, please.

Participants (minimum 12):
1. Gonz DONE
2. Seanholio DONE
3. Boomer52 DONE
4. Nimrod DONE
5. Bu11dog DONE
6. Breedy DONE
7. jnknzz DONE
8. Smokin'Sims DONE
9. CParker DONE
10. JayBay DONE
11. Bully1875 DONE
12. Franco593 DONE
12. Ironpeddler DONE
13. Amateuraficionado DONE
14. in2xshp DONE
15. flamchop DONE
16. back to Marco-Polo DONE

Final Cigar List
1. 5 Vegas Classic "55" (the only consistently good 5 Vegas Classic vitola; smokes best around 65) Take by Nimrod
2. 5 Vegas Miami Toro (medium bodied, typical spicy DPG taste profile) Take by JayBay
3. 5 Vegas Series A Toro (heavy on roasted flavor. Nice aroma.) Take by Boomer52
4. Alec Bradley Ovation Maduro Robusto (diamond in the rough, but nice taste profile.) Take by Breedy
5. Alec Bradley Tempus Robusto (Excellent stick, but sensitive to humidity!) Take by Seanholio
6. Angel 100 1961 (Excellent cubanesque flavor, nice aroma, ugly - and I picked the nicest looking one) Take by Bu11dog
7. Astral Churchill (well-balanced, mild-medium stick) Take by Bu11dog
8. Beck Buckaroo Cameroon (medium-full, spicier than most cameroon) Take by jnknzz
9. CAO CX2 Robusto (mild, typical cameroon flavor profile) Take by Gonz
10. CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon Robusto (stronger than CX2 and better looking, excellent cameroon) Take by Boomer52
11. CAO MX2 Robusto (medium, heavy roasted flavor, nice and oily) Take by Nimrod
12. Carlos Torano 1916 Torpedo (medium, exc cameroon body, excellent balance) Take by Boomer52
13. Carlos Torano Signature Toro (med-full, great roasted & caramelized flavors. Strong/heavy aroma.) Take by Seanholio
14. Cuesta-Rey Centenario Aristocrat (Tubo) (medium, slightly sweet, creamy. Very consistent) Take by Nimrod
15. Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Delicias (Toro) (Spicy, much more intense flavor than 5V Miami) Take by Gonz
16. Flor de Gonzalez Corona Extra (Medium. unique eucalyptus/vegetal flavors, spice. Packs a punch.) Take by Bu11dog
17. Gran Habano #5 Corojo Robusto (V. flavorful. Heavy roasted flavor balance.) Take by Boomer52
18. Gran Habano VL Torpedo (Medium. Some roasted flavors, floral/citrus note halfway.) Take by Bu11dog
19.Gurkha Grand Reserve Connecticut #4 (Mild-med, v. smooth, creamy.)
20. Gurkha Master Select Toro (slightly spicier but smooth. Relatively insensitive to humidity - always good.)
21. Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Robusto (Med-full, spicy/nutty. Complex 2nd half.) Take by Smokin' Sims
22. Jericho Toro (Full, complex. Heavy wood. Sweetish overtone. review) Take by Boomer52
23. La Aroma de Cuba Monarca ("autumnal" flavor - woody/nutty. Medium, great aroma.) Take by jnknzz
24. La Carolina Churchill (Medium - floral/fruity nose. Complex.) Take by Ironpeddler
25. La Gloria Cubana Maduro Wavell (Strong, spicy roasted maduro profile.) Take by jnknzz
26. Montecristo Media Noche No. 2 (pyramide) (Powerful flavor, smooth, roasted, v. complex.)
27. Montecristo Media Noche No. 3 (corona) (nice aroma, like no. 2 but slightly more rough)
28. Occidental Reserve Double Broadleaf Torpedo (med, similar flavor profile to SPDM, but much smoother)
29. Padilla Achilles Salomon (full and spicy. huge vitola.) Take by Gonz
30. Padilla Obsidian Belicoso (med, smoother than achilles, nice balance) Take by Seanholio
31. Padron 2000 (enough has been said about this one - the classic of the 000 series. has some age on it.) Take by Gonz
32. Partagas Maduro Robusto (med, primarily coffee aroma. nicely constructed.) Take by Bu11dog
33. Perdomo Reserve Cameroon R (complex, tangy cameroon flavors. Best cameroon to date, but not handsome) Take by Nimrod
34. Perdomo Reserve Sungrown E (strong, slightly spicy. Full flavor & aroma. Smoke after dinner.) Take by jnknzz
35. Plasencia Reserva Organica Robusto (mild, slightly sweet, interesting) Take by Bu11dog
36. Rocky Patel 1992 Robusto (med. well-known, earthy) Take by Gonz
37. Rocky Patel Sungrown Robusto (med, spicier-stronger than 1992) Take by Nimrod
38. Tamboril Connecticut Torpedo (matured into nice creamy-woody aroma. smokes best slightly dry.)
39. Vegas de Fonseca Sobrino (med., v. woody, w/ cameroon tang)
40. Cusano 18 Robusto (mild, sweetish, smokes best slightly wet.) Take by Nimrod
41. Liga IV Almirante (mild, smooth, slightly floral, works well in thinner vitola review)
42. Flor de Cano Short Churchill (roasted/sweet, smooth, chewy. Better than its cuban namesake. review) Take by Bu11dog
43. Esteban Carrera Toro (med-full, complex, slightly spicy. blended by RP. review)
44. Puros Indios Reserva Maxima (Very similar taste profile to DPG Blue, just turned down to mild intensity and a little woodier. Unlike the normal PI line.)

Gonz's Puts (review):
45 CAO 65th Tonton Take by Breedy
46 RP Old World Reserve Take by Nimrod
47 Avo LE08 Take by Nimrod
48 RP Edge Take by Smokin' Sims
49 Fuente Hemingway Best Seller Nat. Take by Seanholio

Seanholio's puts (review)
50. Rocky Patel 1990 Toro
51. Nub Cameroon 375 Take by Breedy
52. CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon Toro Take by Nimrod
53. Fuente Hemingway Signature Nat Take by jnknzz

Boomer's puts
54 Oliva Series "O" Torpedo Habano Wraper Take by Nimrod
55 La Aurora 1945 Series Robusto Take by Amateuraficionado
56 Padron 2000 Maduro Note: small travel damage, please p/t at a discount Take by in2xshp
57 CAO Brazilia Piranah Take by jnknzz
58 Hoyo de Monterey Dark Sumatra Ebano Take by Breedy

Nimrod's puts
59 Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion Consul
60 Rare Corojo Punch Magnum Take by Smokin' Sims
61 Argenese Figurado Maduro Take by jnknzz
62 Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Consul Take by Franco593
63 601 Green Tronco Take by Breedy
64 601 Blue Toro Take by Bu11dog
65 Cx2 Belicoso Take by Breedy
66 Padilla 68 Toro Take by JayBay
67 Camacho Triple Maduro Take by Bully1875
68 Reyes Family Premier Toro

Bu11dog's puts
69 La Cabana "Lil Crojo"
70 La Cabana maduro torpedo Take by Franco593
71 La Cabana connecticut torpedo
72 Cruz Real lonsdale nat wrapper
73 Rocky Patel Connecticut
74 Padron londres maduro Take by jnknzz
75 La Cabana panatella
76 La Cabana Cameroon box press

Breedy's puts
77 5 Vegas Classic "55"
78 AF King B Take by JayBay
79 DPG Cuban Classic Perla Take by jnknzz
80 Gran Habano #5 Corojo Gran Robusto (red label) Take by jnknzz
81 Padilla Miami 8&11 Robusto Take by Bully1875
82 Cohiba Red Dot Churchill

jnknzz's puts (review)
83 Torano Exodus robusto Take by Franco593
84 Torano Virtuoso Maestro Take by JayBay
85 Joya de Nicaragua Antano Machito Take by JayBay
86 Devil's Weed Colon Take by Franco593
87 DPG Black 1979 robusto
88 Padron 2000 natural Take by Smokin' Sims
89 Padilla Obsidian Belicoso Take by Bully1875
90 CI Legends Orange (Patel)
91 Gurkha Fuerte toro Take by in2xshp
92 AF Chateau sungrown Take by Smokin' Sims

Smokin' Sims puts
93 Padron 2000 Maduro Take by Ironpeddler
94 El Original Corona
95 Oliva O Maduro Robusto Take by Franco593
96 CAO Brazilia Impanema Take by JayBay
97 Partagas Spanish Rosado Sabroso Take by JayBay
98 5 Vegas 'A' torpedo

CParker - withdrawn

JayBay's puts
99 Don Lino 1989 Churchill
100 Exquisito Baldy Toro
101 Perdomo Golf Toro Take by Ironpeddler
102 CAO CX2 Robusto Take by Franco593
103 Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne Robusto Take by Bully1875
104 Partagas Black Magnifico
105 Gurhka Grand Age Perfecto

Bully1875's puts
106: La Riqueza # 3 Take by Ironpeddler
107: La Flor Dominicana DL 700 Take by Flamchop
108: Camacho Conojo Maduro (Corojo Monarca?)
109: Partagas Limited Reserve 1996 Decadas #2

Franco593's puts (review)
110 La Aroma De Cuba Monarch Take by Amateuraficionado
111 Viaje Oro Delicado Take by Ironpeddler
112 CAO Gold Maduro Robusto Take by Ironpeddler
113 5 Vegas Miami Churchill Take by Amateuraficionado
114 5 Vegas Limitada Belicoso 2007 Take by Amateuraficionado
115 Illusione 88 Take by Ironpeddler

Fe-peddler's puts (review)
116. Partagas Black Label Clasico
117. AF Hemingway Short Story Take by in2xshp
118. Defiance Robusto Take by in2xshp
119. AF Hemingway Signature Maduro (HTF rule not in effect) Take by flamchop
120. Oliva Series G Tubos
121. AF Hemingway Work of Art Maduro (HTF rule not in effect) Take by in2xshp
122. Sudeste Cubano Corona Gorda (MindRiot) Take by Amateuraficionado

Amateuraficionado's puts (review)
123. Gran Habano Cabinet Selection Robusto Take by flamchop
124. Gran Habano Corojo #5 Lancero Take by in2xshp
125. Illusione 68
126.LFD Double Ligero Chisel Maduro Take by in2xshp
127. Pepin Blue Generosos

in2xshp's puts
128. LaVieja Habana Corojo Gordo Rico
129. Arganese CL3 Robusto
130 CAO VR Totem
131 Illusione H1 Panatela
132 Kristoff Maduro Matador Take by flamchop
133 Partagas Spanish Rosado San Agustin
134 CAO Criollo Mancha

135 N/A

flamchop's puts (review)
136 La Riqueza #3
137 Tatuaje Havana VI Nobles
138 Don Pepin Blue Label Delicias
139 Padilla Miami 8/11

This is a great idea!!! (finally somewhere to get rid of my Phillies) :D I'd love to play if you'll have me... :thumbs:

Derek

I barely qualify and would be proud to participate if you'll have me

This is a great idea. I'd like to join in if you'll have me.

[quote name='Marco-Polo' post='757021' date='Nov 12 2008, 07:38 PM']Ladies and Gentlemen,

Every CP member has a set of everyday favorites – ones that taste and smell like the big dollar smokes, but aren’t priced at a level that lets them regularly get into a trade. In the spirit of sharing mine (and finding yours), I’m proposing the “Star in a reasonably priced car” pass.

For people that don’t follow Top Gear on the BBC, “Star in a reasonably priced car” is a segment where they put a celebrity on the racetrack in an economy car. So the Star in a reasonably priced car pass is going to concentrate on sticks that are reasonably priced, but most importantly undervalued for some reason or another. Typically these will be in the $3-6 range. I’ll throw in a few sticks above the range for fun and to provide an upper bound, and there will be at least one or two below this range that need to get included because they really are that good.

I’ve personally smoked at least 1 of each of these, reviewed a lot of them on CP, and think that each is a B+ or above. It’s my advice that you’ve smoked and personally enjoyed any put, and would buy more if they’re available. It's highly encouraged but not mandatory to post a tiny blurb saying why you like each put, and why it’s a “star in a reasonably priced car”. (ie, Angel 100 1961. Excellent flavor & aroma, good construction, well-aged, but ugly as sin.) In other words, tell your fellow passers why they should try it. It's also encouraged that takes are sticks that you haven't yet tried.

A not unintended result of the Star in a reasonably priced car pass is that more people will be able to participate, as there’s no need to crack the “special” humidor which has sticks that you keep just to trade or gift, not to smoke yourself.

This pass will be managed by myself, and Gonz has graciously agreed to act as advisor and mentor.

Ground rules
1. CP member in good standing (3 months active, 1 successful pass or trade)
2. Minimum pass rule – at least 4, in order to make it worthwhile for everyone. No maximum.
3. Notify the group when you’re ready to receive, when you receive the box, when you’re ready to ship, and post the DC#
4. Public takes/puts and all questions and answers - post to the thread and I’ll answer the thread
5. When you receive: inventory and inspect the box
6. When you ship: use USPS 2-day service
7. Puts & takes: 1 for 1. No ISOMs, no “rarities”. (If you want to include these, you’re totally missing the point…)
8. Equal puts for equal takes. In the case that a price isn't readily obvious (use the cigarcyclopedia reference, or google), ask the question. There are no stupid questions.

Participants:
1.Marco-Polo
2. Gonz

Very Tentative Cigar List
5 Vegas Classic "55" (5.5x55 boxpress)
5 Vegas Miami Toro
5 Vegas Series A Apocalypse (Toro)
Alec Bradley Ovation Maduro Robusto
Alec Bradley Tempus Robusto
Angel 100 1961
Astral Churchill
Beck Buckaroo Cameroon
CAO CX2 Robusto
CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon Robusto
CAO MX2 Robusto
Carlos Torano 1916 Torpedo
Carlos Torano Signature Toro
Cuesta-Rey Aristocrat (Churchill Tubo)
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Delicias (Toro)
Flor de Gonzalez Corona Extra
Gran Habano #5 Corojo Robusto
Gran Habano VL Torpedo
Gurkha Grand Reserve Connecticut #4 (Toro)
Gurkha Master Select Toro
Indian Tabac Natural Robusto
Jericho Churchill
La Aroma de Cuba Monarca
La Carolina Churchill
La Gloria Cubana Maduro Wavell
Montecristo Media Noche No. 2 (pyramide)
Montecristo Media Noche No. 3 (corona)
Occidental Reserve Double Broadleaf Torpedo
Padilla Achilles Salomon
Padilla Obsidian Belicoso
Padron 2000 (robusto)
Partagas Maduro Robusto
Perdomo Reserve Cameroon R
Perdomo Reserve Sungrown E (or R)
Plasencia Reserva Organica Robusto
Rocky Patel 1992 Robusto
Rocky Patel Sungrown Robusto
Tamboril Connecticut Torpedo
Vegas de Fonseca Sobrinos (robusto)[/quote]

[quote name='jnknzz' post='757032' date='Nov 12 2008, 07:54 PM']This is a great idea!!! (finally somewhere to get rid of my Phillies) :D I'd love to play if you'll have me... :thumbs:

Derek[/quote]

[quote name='bully1875' post='757033' date='Nov 12 2008, 07:55 PM']I would like to get involved in this if possible.. Thanks.[/quote]

[quote name='FRANCO593' post='757040' date='Nov 12 2008, 08:06 PM']I barely qualify and would be proud to participate if you'll have me[/quote]

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' post='757054' date='Nov 12 2008, 08:23 PM']This is a great idea. I'd like to join in if you'll have me.[/quote]

Unless I am reading this wrong, I do not think you guys have been in 4 passes already. I will admit there is a chance that I am wrong, I have not researched each of your pass history. Heck, I would like in on this, if even as a virtual player, but I have only been in 2 or 3 passes, so by my understanding of the rules, I am not allowed in.

This is a great idea for a pass. I wish you nd your players the best of luck. I will certainly be watching.

Tim

My mistake - should be "minimum PUTS" rule - 4 t/p minimum. Corrected above. There's a 1 pass or trade minimum for participation, and I think all the guys above qualify.

Well then, now we have a ball game gentlemen....

I hope that I did not offend.

Tim

God no. It's my fault if I can't spell or write properly.
So what's the verdict?

That I can't spell or write properly, clearly.

I'm going to try to take as many people who meet the requirements (3 months, 1 good pass or trade) as I can, and in the rough order that they sign up; I'll update the list later tonight, since most people log on after work. (A group that I'm looking forward to joining next week, might I add).

Sounds like fun. I would like to play if it's ok with you.

God no. It's my fault if I can't spell or write properly.
So what's the verdict?

That I can't spell or write properly, clearly.

I'm going to try to take as many people who meet the requirements (3 months, 1 good pass or trade) as I can, and in the rough order that they sign up; I'll update the list later tonight, since most people log on after work. (A group that I'm looking forward to joining next week, might I add).

OK, cool... Then Im still in if you guy's will have me.

hey Marco, I'd be interested if you'd have me, thanks!

Nick

I'd be in if the Newbie pass works. Also envolved in the PIF and MAW.

Brandon

Hell yea, this is right up my alley, now that the puppy pass behind me. I would love to join in on this Marco.