• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Star in a Reasonably Priced Car Pass

I am a cheap date. Good thing that it was with my better half.

Pickup's scheduled for tomorrow, participant list is ordered (it's stopping at Gonz's on the way out to CA, then goes through CA, midwest, south, NJ, NY, and PA to land back in the Philly burbs).

I am a cheap date. Good thing that it was with my better half.

Pickup's scheduled for tomorrow, participant list is ordered (it's stopping at Gonz's on the way out to CA, then goes through CA, midwest, south, NJ, NY, and PA to land back in the Philly burbs).

I'm glad it's hitting Gonz first! I won't be home until Sunday.

Excellent, this is shaping up real nice and we're off to a good start!

Gentlemen2.jpg

CHEAP CHEAP!!! FUN FUN!!! :D

This is gonna be an entertaining pass... :whistling:

Derek

Looks like this one is:

Gassed Up
Loaded UP
Fired Up
And will soon be on the road.

Let the fun begin.

Just wanted to chime in and thank Marco for putting this together for us. Marco, you're one class act (even if you are a cheap date). I really appreciate you allowing me to be a part of this...and thanks to everyone participating. I look forward to learning a lot through this pass. Good luck everyone...and Gentlemen, start your engines!!

I can't believe how much work goes into getting one of these off the ground, very nice of you and I can't wait to watch the thread and pass develop.

Here's my proposed puts and takes, this way they'll be approved and once the box shows up I can swap cigars and get it right back on the road.

Take: #9 CX2 Put: #45 CAO 65th Tonton
Take: #15 DPG Blue Put: #46 RP Old World Reserve
Take: #29 Padilla Achilles Put: #47 Avo LE08
Take: #31 Padron 2000 Put: #48 RP Edge
Take: #36 RP 1992 Put: #49 Fuente Hemingway Best Seller Nat.

Here's my proposed puts and takes, this way they'll be approved and once the box shows up I can swap cigars and get it right back on the road.

Take: #9 CX2 Put: #45 CAO 65th Tonton
Take: #15 DPG Blue Put: #46 RP Old World Reserve
Take: #29 Padilla Achilles Put: #47 Avo LE08
Take: #31 Padron 2000 Put: #48 RP Edge
Take: #36 RP 1992 Put: #49 Fuente Hemingway Best Seller Nat.

What sizes are these? I can find two of the five.

Thanks

The Old World Reserve is the toro size, maduro wrapper, and the Edge is also a toro in maduro wrapper.

Marco-Polo and Gonz, I have a few newbie questions regarding the cigar list and the takes and puts.

#15 on the list is a DPG Blue Label Delicias (Toro). The Delicias is listed as a Churchill, 7x50 on Cigarcyclopedia. Which is it, a Toro or a Churchill?

The Delicias average price is 6.41. The put Gonz is offering is a RP Old World Reserve Maduro Toro. Average price is 11.46. Am I looking at the correct cigars for price?

#29 on the list is a Padilla Achilles Salmon. Average price 5.75. The put Gonz is offering is an AVO LE08. The price I was able to find for this cigar is 10.80. Again, am I looking at the right cigars/prices?

#31 is a Padron 2000. Average price 3.34. The put Gonz is offering is a RP Edge Maduro Toro. Price I found is 4.72. Same question. Am I looking at the right cigar/price?

Before I get my a$$ handed to me, I will quote rule 8. Equal puts for equal takes. In the case that a price isn't readily obvious (use the cigarcyclopedia reference, or google), ask the question. There are no stupid questions. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

RP Old World Reserve Maduro Toro. Average price is 11.46.

I have seen them on sale at Cigar Joe for $4-5 each. This pass should be called, the CigarJoe pass. Only those cigars bought at Cigar Joe can play. :laugh:

It looks like those are very generous puts, which isn't always a bad thing.... but for this pass I think it's something we should be careful of because if everyone did that, by the time the pass gets to me for instance, there will be all $10+ sticks in there thus defeating the purpose of the pass to begin with. I know Marco is the final say but I'm not sure an Avo LE'08 should qualify for this pass for instance.

On another note, I think the Padron 2000's go for closer to $4.50 per stick, depending on where you look.

It looks like those are very generous puts, which isn't always a bad thing.... but for this pass I think it's something we should be careful of because if everyone did that, by the time the pass gets to me for instance, there will be all $10+ sticks in there thus defeating the purpose of the pass to begin with. I know Marco is the final say but I'm not sure an Avo LE'08 should qualify for this pass for instance.

On another note, I think the Padron 2000's go for closer to $4.50 per stick, depending on where you look.

I know prices do varry depending on where you look. For instance, the Padron 2000 goes for 3.80 at my local B&M. However, the average per cigar price based on box quantities on cigarcyclopedia is 3.34. Those are almost exclusively on-line shops.

Edit to correct Padron price from 4.80 to 3.80.

Marco-Polo and Gonz, I have a few newbie questions regarding the cigar list and the takes and puts.

#15 on the list is a DPG Blue Label Delicias (Toro). The Delicias is listed as a Churchill, 7x50 on Cigarcyclopedia. Which is it, a Toro or a Churchill?

My mistake - it's a Generoso (6x50), not a Delicias (7x50).

The Delicias average price is 6.41. The put Gonz is offering is a RP Old World Reserve Maduro Toro. Average price is 11.46. Am I looking at the correct cigars for price?

I'm not sure if you are looking at the right place. My habit's to look at the lowest available price, purchased as a box (rather than singles or 5 packs) when determining like for like. The gold standard for any pass is to compare prices from the same vendor.

The low price on cigarcyclopedia for the Generoso is therefore $151/20=$7.55, and the lowest price on is 8.50 (=$425/50) for the OWR Toro, which is in range. Nimrod's point that they're available for $4-5 on sale is a good tip but not necessarily relevant to establishing like for like on a price basis. But damn, I wish I'd bought some.

#29 on the list is a Padilla Achilles Salmon. Average price 5.75. The put Gonz is offering is an AVO LE08. The price I was able to find for this cigar is 10.80. Again, am I looking at the right cigars/prices?

Not sure about this one - my spreadsheet has the salomon at $40 for the 5 pack, not available in box form, which is $8/cigar. I can't find the Avo on the cigar comparison shopper from cigarcyclopedia either. If it is take at $5.75 and put at $10.80, that's clearly out of range.

Gonz, would you mind revisiting this - not necessarily replacing it, but rechecking that it's in the acceptable range?

#31 is a Padron 2000. Average price 3.34. The put Gonz is offering is a RP Edge Maduro Toro. Price I found is 4.72. Same question. Am I looking at the right cigar/price?

Padron 2000 low price is 3.20, RP Edge Toro low price is 4.20. That's an acceptable p/t.

Not all Gonz's p/t's are overs. For example, the Hemingway Best Seller (130.99/25=5.24) for RP Vintage 1992 Toro (135/20=6.75). There is, however, huge variation between vendors - a range of 175 to 131 - and this p/t may be acceptable based on the gold standard, a same-vendor comparison.

I'm inclined to accept these based on the following:

1) It's a distinct improvement to the pass
2) Gonz is an experienced passer and knows the limits of what's acceptable and what isn't
3) Finally, I trust his integrity - he's my mentor in this pass after all - and he wouldn't pull one over on you guys

However, I also want to see consensus over this. It's my first time hosting a boxpass, I'm learning as much as anyone, so if anyone has questions, please keep them coming.

Very good dialog and discussion! Many good points brought up on both sides, perhaps for the sake of discussion I'll go through my thought process in deciding puts and takes. Going forward, I don't encourage or generally like when people try to explain their puts and takes, it often seems like they're trying to justify them which if they're solid shouldn't be necessary. It also makes things way too confusing and full of clutter, hence hard to read and just begging for misunderstanding or mistakes.

And I might run out of time, so I'm going to post this little tidbit, then work on my thought process separately. Heck, I might not even get this done until morning depending on if the kids can give me 10 minutes to myself!

In case you wanted to buy some yourselves.

Rocky Patel
Olde World
Corojo Torpedo
5" x 54
5 pack $25
CODE: SP-O0A5054-5
Cigar International. Shipping not included.

Also, I think Gonz P/Ts are fine.

Edit: My mistake, these are not Maduro.