• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Test for the Southerners

You aren't a Southerner, way to ruin it! 😂

They have them in Ohio?
Nope, haven't seen one since I was stationed at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in North Carolina. Which happens to be in the south😀😀

I was honestly half kidding because you're pretense of Southerners never having seen one threw me off.

I'm pretty sure they have airplanes in the south😃

We don't have them even in Nebraska, but I also know them from Colorado.

OK, I think we have done enough research at this point.

I'm dieing to know what they have to do with airplanes, and why I'm the hell they would need them in Texas, so tell me what they are!

OK, I think we have done enough research at this point.

I'm dieing to know what they have to do with airplanes, and why I'm the hell they would need them in Texas, so tell me what they are!
I have never seen them in Texas... I know about them from Colorado trips... But I could imagine it might be possible up in the Panhandle... You have to remember Texas is a vast Country...

I have never seen them in Texas... I know about them from Colorado trips... But I could imagine it might be possible up in the Panhandle... You have to remember Texas is a vast Country...
I didn't realize there was enough snow anywhere in that vast country that these would be necessary though.

Much of Montana doesn't even have them, like I was saying, you don't really see them in Eastern Montana and they get A LOT of snow.

I didn't realize there was enough snow anywhere in that vast country that these would be necessary though.

Much of Montana doesn't even have them, like I was saying, you don't really see them in Eastern Montana and they get A LOT of snow.
Probably more of the combination of snow and wind where they are required vs just snow fall... IDK

I'm sure, that is the purpose of them after all. Just interesting because there's no shortage of wind in eastern Montana either.
Maybe the ones in Texas aren't for snow at all, but rather dust storms... Just a thought, I still have no idea...

They planted shelter belts of trees back during the CCC days to help with dust

They still give out tree seedlings every spring through the county extension agent.

And yeah, we get blizzards. Usually only a big one (rooftop deep drifts or so) maybe once a decade, but even a few inches with the winds we get will drift over the east-west roads. Lots of snow fence out there, but most of it these days is just orange webbing placed same as barbed wire fence a hundred feet or so north of the road.

As a native Wyomingite and a pilot, I feel uber-qualified to weigh in on this one. But then again with the kind of ego that comes with all that, I feel uber-qualified to weigh in on pretty much anything.

Not a jet blast deflector, although it does kind of look similar.
Probably more of the combination of snow and wind where they are required vs just snow fall... IDK
Yup, the fun combo of snow and wind. On the Snow Chi Minh Trail (linky), snow fences are a necessity. As long as the educated idiots don't build them backwards, making the snow drift on the highway.

I'm curious about jet blast deflectors now, don't think I've ever seen them, or at least noticed.

I don't understand what all of you have against snow either, the more the merrier I say. Now this damn heat on the other hand...

As a native Wyomingite and a pilot, I feel uber-qualified to weigh in on this one. But then again with the kind of ego that comes with all that, I feel uber-qualified to weigh in on pretty much anything.

Not a jet blast deflector, although it does kind of look similar.

Yup, the fun combo of snow and wind. On the Snow Chi Minh Trail (linky), snow fences are a necessity. As long as the educated idiots don't build them backwards, making the snow drift on the highway.
Just clicked your link, never heard it called that before! 😂 Road from Laramie to Casper?

Used to work in Laramie during the summer in high school and college, brother still lives there.

ETA: Nevermind, looked closer and it's towards Rawlins, that makes sense. Medicine Bow to Casper can't be any better though!

Last edited:
Just clicked your link, never heard it called that before! 😂 Road from Laramie to Casper?

Used to work in Laramie during the summer in high school and college, brother still lives there.

ETA: Nevermind, looked closer and it's towards Rawlins, that makes sense. Medicine Bow to Casper can't be any better though!
I-80 between Laramie and Rawlins. In the winter it's a beast. High elevation, high snowfall, and a ridiculously high sustained wind makes for a messy stretch of road.

It's a great place to be from. I'm glad my kids are those southerners who have no idea what a snow fence is.