• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Charlottesville Pass

Ok, boys - I had a chance to sit down with the two "mystery" cigars last night (it was a balmy 85 degrees here, and it I just HAD to barbeque)...

I smoked M-18 first, which I use as a timer for the meat on the grill (Robusto or Corona sizes are just about right!).

The construction was very nice - clearly non-ISOM, (with a connecticut shade wrapper, instead of the Claro). I used a punch (I couldn't find my cutter anywhere - because momma had it!!!). Pre light draw was very nice - a pleasant sweet taste to the unlit cigar (vaguely familiar).

The cigar burned very nice - razor sharp. Tons of smoke, with a bit more bite to it than I would have expected for a Connecticut Shade wrapped cigar. This baby stayed lit all the way down to the end, without any need for additional touch up. That taste was hauntingly familiar... I know I've smoked these cigars before - it was a very pleasant flavor. I've just never had this cigar in this particular vitola... I'm guessing it was most likely a Hanostia cigar, possibly the signature 101!?!???

The second cigar I smoked (M-21) was a much bigger ring gauge. A "beefy" cigar. The construction was nice but rough looking, with a darker wrapper (some kind of criollo, possibly?). It started to unravel a bit after I cut it, but went back together nicely with no other problems.

I'm glad I made up some strong apple martini's, because this cigar had a serious bite to it initially! The spice simmered down just a bit after the cigar got going... This was a perfect after dinner, smoking in the backyard with a martini kind of smoke! The burn was just a little funky, but not bad (little minor touch ups here and there). Tons of smoke, but I had a little trouble keeping it lit after about the half way point. I would have loved to have nubbed this one, but I couldn't keep it lit at all towards the end.

I don't believe I have ever tried one of these before. The flavor did not seem familiar to me. I'm not sure what it was, other than it was probably of Nicaraguan origin...

ggiese said:
Ok, boys - I had a chance to sit down with the two "mystery" cigars last night (it was a balmy 85 degrees here, and it I just HAD to barbeque)...

I smoked M-18 first, which I use as a timer for the meat on the grill (Robusto or Corona sizes are just about right!).

The construction was very nice - clearly non-ISOM, (with a connecticut shade wrapper, instead of the Claro). I used a punch (I couldn't find my cutter anywhere - because momma had it!!!). Pre light draw was very nice - a pleasant sweet taste to the unlit cigar (vaguely familiar).

The cigar burned very nice - razor sharp. Tons of smoke, with a bit more bite to it than I would have expected for a Connecticut Shade wrapped cigar. This baby stayed lit all the way down to the end, without any need for additional touch up. That taste was hauntingly familiar... I know I've smoked these cigars before - it was a very pleasant flavor. I've just never had this cigar in this particular vitola... I'm guessing it was most likely a Hanostia cigar, possibly the signature 101!?!???

The second cigar I smoked (M-21) was a much bigger ring gauge. A "beefy" cigar. The construction was nice but rough looking, with a darker wrapper (some kind of criollo, possibly?). It started to unravel a bit after I cut it, but went back together nicely with no other problems.

I'm glad I made up some strong apple martini's, because this cigar had a serious bite to it initially! The spice simmered down just a bit after the cigar got going... This was a perfect after dinner, smoking in the backyard with a martini kind of smoke! The burn was just a little funky, but not bad (little minor touch ups here and there). Tons of smoke, but I had a little trouble keeping it lit after about the half way point. I would have loved to have nubbed this one, but I couldn't keep it lit at all towards the end.

I don't believe I have ever tried one of these before. The flavor did not seem familiar to me. I'm not sure what it was, other than it was probably of Nicaraguan origin...
[snapback]191483[/snapback]​

Great reviews, George.

The first cigar would taste somewhat familiar. It is not a Hansotia product. It was a Davidoff Gran Cru No. 3. Connecticut shade wrapper was right one. Great construction and burn. Kelner knows how to make a cigar.

The second cigar was indeed produced in Nicaragua and does have a lot of Nicaraguan tobacco in it. It was produced by Drew Estates...a La Vieja Habana the Early Years Wavelle Deluxe. I have enjoyed these, but they have been somewhat inconsistent with regards to burn. Had one treat me the exact same way recently.

You've got a great palate. You might just win the "best reviews" award unless some of these other yahoos step up (of course, I'm just making up the awards as I go along :p ). Thanks for playing, George. :thumbs:

cigardawg said:
ggiese said:

[snapback]191483[/snapback]​

Great reviews, George.

The first cigar would taste somewhat familiar. It is not a Hansotia product. It was a Davidoff Gran Cru No. 3. Connecticut shade wrapper was right one. Great construction and burn. Kelner knows how to make a cigar.

The second cigar was indeed produced in Nicaragua and does have a lot of Nicaraguan tobacco in it. It was produced by Drew Estates...a La Vieja Habana the Early Years Wavelle Deluxe. I have enjoyed these, but they have been somewhat inconsistent with regards to burn. Had one treat me the exact same way recently.

You've got a great palate. You might just win the "best reviews" award unless some of these other yahoos step up (of course, I'm just making up the awards as I go along :p ). Thanks for playing, George. :thumbs:
[snapback]191607[/snapback]​

That's funny M-18 was a Davidoff... When I first looked at it, it appeared to be so well made it could have been a Davidoff. My intial inclination was that it was a Davidoff, but I though - "Nahhh". And it did taste familiar because I've had them before (just not that vitola). It was definitely a great smoke - THANKS!!!

You really surprised me on the La Veija Habana - I would never have guessed it. The other LaVieja's I've had I've liked - and this was no exception. The ash was pure white (which I've never seen in a Drew Estates cigar, other than the Java). I've also not had the burn problems like I had with this cigar... I did really enjoy it, though... Thanks for this one as well!!!

Friggin' interent sucks ass. It had been out since FRIDAY and just came back online. Adelphia sucks.

Thanks again to all you great BOTLs who participated in our first pass here on CP. We had a great time running and organizing it and hope you all had fun as well. :thumbs: Stay tuned for The C-Ville Pass II - coming this fall to a mailbox near you.

I'll get a final update to the website made later today. Thanks again everyone!

So what got burnt with the bourbon? I didn't include enough to make you forget things. :p

SamClemmons said:
Pushy bastids. I am in possession of "da box". I haven't looked around in it yet other than to remove a fruit jar filled with old affed bourbon AVB sent along. Thanks AVB! I'll do me thieving tomorrow and get it moving again... or not. Suckers.

NA
[snapback]190692[/snapback]​

AVB said:
So what got burnt with the bourbon? I didn't include enough to make you forget things. :p

SamClemmons said:
Pushy bastids. I am in possession of "da box". I haven't looked around in it yet other than to remove a fruit jar filled with old affed bourbon AVB sent along. Thanks AVB! I'll do me thieving tomorrow and get it moving again... or not. Suckers.

NA
[snapback]190692[/snapback]​
[snapback]191812[/snapback]​
Patience my son. Haven't done the bourbon yet. You'll get a full report when I do. :D :D

NA

cigardawg said:
Just a quick update, the pass has landed back home. Jim called me this morning and told me that the pass had been delivered. His internet is down or I am sure he would have posted it. I'm sure he'll post later.

Anyway, thank you to everyone that participated in this pass...it was a blast. :thumbs: I am really pleased with how this pass moved along...you guys are all pros. Thanks again for being part of this.

Thanks also to everyone who has done and will do (hint hint) reviews of the mystery sticks. :D I can't wait to see more of them.
[snapback]191092[/snapback]​

Thanks to the 3 of you guys for the invite. I know it's late in coming but I been super swamped lately! Haven't had a smoke in almost 2 months :0

Anyway, many thanks again! You guys host a hell of a pass :thumbs:
Robert

OK, guys. Just because the pass is completed, doesn't mean I am going to let you off the hook on the Mystery Sticks. I'm still looking for reviews and guesses. :thumbs: