• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Cuban Embargo

Hey Matt, I have been reading that Cuba has basically given up on using the H2000 seed, because it is not living up to their expectations. The leaf is larger, and is less susceptible to black mold, blue shank, etc., but it is not aging well and is not as flavorful as the old hybrid, that they have used for decades to produce the classic, pre-boom cigars. What gives? I am also hearing that quality is gradually going back up because all of the rookie rollers that they hired to meet demand are finally figuring out what the heck they are doing. Plugged cigars still abound though from the last 3-4 years production. I have heard that a box of Cubans from the last 3-4 years can have a "plugged cigar" rate in the box of upwards of 30%. What is your experience? Are you seeing that many plugged cigars? This seems like an extremely high rate! :shocked:

I have to be honest here. I havent had anywhere near that rate. In 3 months maybe 1 plugged cigar and I was able to get through it!! I keep mine on the drier side to. around 66% rh and those that are up around 70 are probably having a harder time. Just my experience though.

Well, Altadis may be able to say NOW that quality will go up, but when the embargo is lifted, the damand will be so high that quality has got to suffer somewhat.

H2000 is history as far as planting cycles. But, you can bet that there is still H2000 harvested crop that is hanging in the curing barns and will be used. I think on the quality side, the main reason is not the rollers per se, instead the lack or turning of one's head on the quality control end in order to make a production scedule that wholesalers had come to expect. I do know that the recent production boxes I have seen, 2001 product, has been great. Obviously it will need some sit down time, but some of the wrappers have been just beautiful. I have yet to get a box of 2001 product personally as my supplier still has stuff from '98 and '99 that I will continue to buy.
As far as the embargo being lifted, I don't think we have to worry about that for a while. Although process is being made in the medicine and food end of importation into Cuba, exportation out of Cuba into the US is still far off. Will quality suffer if an when it occurs, maybe yes and maybe no. It all depends on how tight the reins are held by Altadis. You have to remember that the lifting of the embargo will also provide non-Cuban cigar companies to buy and use Cuba tobacco in their blends. There will be struggle to come up with a Nic/Cuban blend. This is what I fear. The fact that there may be fewer puros to obtain. :(

Matt, Great point!! I hadnt even considered the fact that there would be others drawing on the cuban supply!! Hmm Maybe better start cashing in the 401k and stocking up on these 01 boxes. I agree they are looking very promising.

I still owe you some smokes, don't I Jeff? Send me that pic of your humi if you could. :) What 2001's have you gotten recently?

####. I hope Castros brother takes over!!Hey Matt, Ill get that Pic out to you. Ill send a couple so if you get 2 or 3 emails from me thats why.

Oh Matt, about the cigars...ahh... lets see, A box of Vegas Robainia Don alejandro should do it!!! LOL Ill be watching my mailbox!! :):)Email sent!!

1) From a purely selfish standpoint I don't want it to end. Cubans are easily obtained and inexpensive. That will change after the embargo ends.
2) Looking at the bigger picture it will be a good thing because it won't happen until there is some sort of freedom in Cuba. However it will be bad for cigars...see #1.
3) Castro's passing will not necessarily mean the end of the embargo. I'm sure he'll install Raul or someone as his successor. Communism will continue. I don't know what it will take to create a new political system in Cuba but it will likely take more than Castro's death.
4) Ending the embargo before there is a political change in Cuba is political suicide in the US. As we saw in 2000, Florida is a fairly important state if you want to be president. Florida is home to lots of Cuban exiles who have a good bit of political clout in Florida. If you want to win Florida, a good way to start is to not piss off the Cubans.

FatherTiresius said:
1) From a purely selfish standpoint I don't want it to end. Cubans are easily obtained and inexpensive. That will change after the embargo ends.
Enough said. :sneaky:

If Cuba becomes "free" in the sense that other Latin American countries are it will be a very bad thing for the Cubans. While they have formal democracy, they are oligarchies ruled by wealthy elites who use military terrorism to control their populations. While Castro isn't Santa Claus, he has done much more for Cuba than the ruling families in Honduras or the generals in Brazil, or the regimes in El Salvador, Chile, Peru, Bolivia etc. The main offense of Castro is to refuse to allow US businesses to exploit his country as they do everywhere else. It's the reason the Sandanistas had to go in Nicaragua in the 80's. America's history of involvement in Latin America is hardly benign nor has it promoted democracy. Instead it has created police states with horrible human rights records, poverty, disease, starvation and pollution. The Cubans had better hope that their country continues to resist assimilation.

definately food for thought. we are not always
"saving" people who want to be "saved" . and at
what point does aid become "imperialism"? most
of the time, our intervention is in our best interest,
not their's. imho

I don't know, that seems to be a very short sighted view Estaban. No democracy is perfect as people themselves are imperfect, and new democracies are the worst since they have not had the time to let democratic traditions take root in the populaces mind set. Still, freedom is better, then not free no matter what the other conditions in place are.

Look at it this way if for no other reason. Democracies do not declare war on each other. If freedom and democracy aren't worth the intioal pain then why does all the world yern to be free? Why has eastern europe bothered to strive so hard to be free? Why have students die in China?

We have had over 200 years to work out the kinks in our little system and we still have problems here and there, but at least we are free to solve those problems our way and not the way of dictators such as Saddam and others.

Nope my friend, I fear you see democracy for Cuba as a glass half empty problem. I like to see it as half full and will only improve once its free to do so provided we are patient.

Estaban said:
While they have formal democracy, they are oligarchies ruled by wealthy elites who use military terrorism to control their populations.
i don't know!! kinda sounds like the clinton admin. to me!

Hey guys, can you help me?

I am looking for CigarPass.com and I thought I had the address right, but I keep ending up here. This is a nice place and all but it is way over my head. If you can help me, please do.

:D