• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Cuban Embargo

.......and clinton likes cigars.

:p
just for you SD!! can you feel the :love:

I have to agree with gibu. Freedom is what people want and what they should get. There are problems in any system of government. Just a couple of cents from a Libertarian :D

problem is, when they get that freedom, the reality
hits that it comes with responsibilty. no more handouts.
then it often devolves into several warlords handling
the handouts and factions fighting each other, e.g.
somalia. kind of like when a longtime inmate is released
from prison. without the structure of someone handling
everything, they're lost.
for the record, i'm pretty much just playing devil's advocate.
two sides to everything, right?

LuckyDawg said:
problem is, when they get that freedom, the reality
hits that it comes with responsibilty. no more handouts.
then it often devolves into several warlords handling
the handouts and factions fighting each other, e.g.
somalia. kind of like when a longtime inmate is released
from prison. without the structure of someone handling
everything, they're lost.
Kinda like being married, right?

My wife handles everything. I am free when she says I am. If she turned me loose, I couldn't handle it. :D

Well guys, I look at it this way. I lived in Europe from 1981 to 1983 and then again from 1985 to 1993. I visited my relatives before the wall came down and then a bunch of times afterwards that lived in Budapest Hungary. They still all work, make great wines, produce the worlds best Paparika but now they are free to go and do what they want to do. They are happy and don't have to live with the dark shadow hovering over them. I'm sure Cuba will still produce the same great ceegars that they are producing now and we'll be able to aquire them for a lot lesser of a cost like the rest of the world does. Just figure this, you'll be paying one to three less people for handling them so you can enjoy the fine cigars you want. Won't it be great to call a 1-800 number and order your cigars direct from say Cohiba or Sancho Panza for instance..... :D :thumbs: :p

Just my .02 cents

gibu said:
I don't know, that seems to be a very short sighted view Estaban. No democracy is perfect as people themselves are imperfect, and new democracies are the worst since they have not had the time to let democratic traditions take root in the populaces mind set. Still, freedom is better, then not free no matter what the other conditions in place are.

Look at it this way if for no other reason. Democracies do not declare war on each other. If freedom and democracy aren't worth the intioal pain then why does all the world yern to be free? Why has eastern europe bothered to strive so hard to be free? Why have students die in China?

We have had over 200 years to work out the kinks in our little system and we still have problems here and there, but at least we are free to solve those problems our way and not the way of dictators such as Saddam and others.

Nope my friend, I fear you see democracy for Cuba as a glass half empty problem. I like to see it as half full and will only improve once its free to do so provided we are patient.
:lookup: AMEN

When do you guys think the Cuban Embargo will end? I've been hearing maybe this year. Hopefully Bush will help open up trade again.

Bad information there Rod. You should have a talk with your source.

:laugh:

2 in one week is my limit Ray! :D

Wow, Bush isn't even President. And this has been discussed many times already, no need to start a new thread.

;)

Gotta love the post to bring back a 9+ year old thread. I thought Rod said no bringing back old threads and the new rule said it was a banning offense? I must of missed the memo. :laugh:

Wow, Bush isn't even President. And this has been discussed many times already, no need to start a new thread
;)

Gotta love the post to bring back a 9+ year old thread. I thought Rod said no bringing back old threads and the new rule said it was a banning offense? I must of missed the memo. :laugh:
One was done by Gary as a joke but now they are just confusing people and it aint funny no mo.

STOP

If you think Clint is confused, well, you're right.

Not about this however---see the wink----remember the other thread??

I wonder if the ISOM were to open for us, would they ever get back to making really good smokes now that DR and HON have such a hold on us?

Doubt it, demand would explode, which means production would explode, and quality would go down. It would take a while before the quality could come back.

I did a little bit of research on this and JFK was wanting to exempt Cigars from the embargo in the first place. The Cigar manufacturers in Florida all objected (and they apparently have some pull). I don't see why it would be any different these days.

Concerning the lifting of the embargo, IDK, never ???

Damn this thread is OLD AS FUK, I just hate that we have pretty much free trade with the Chineese and no one bats an eye, but when it comes to Cuba it's a complete no-no. Hypocracy at its best.

Without getting too political, hypocrisy is what politicians do best. That's why they get the big bux.

I can't think of a good reason for having the embargo in place and no one has ever been able to provide me one. Good thing we can get plenty of delicious cigars that don't come from Cuba :cool:

#1 reason........Fidel and his cronies need the embargo in place to control the people. Otherwise they might start getting crazy ideas like getting on a plane to Miami. Besides, Communism has always needed a bad guy to point the finger at. There still are billboards in Havana with Bush II that describe him as a diabolical entity. John