• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Dailey Jam Session 2023 (Post the sound vibrations that pair with your smoking pleasure)

Yet another from 1982 but this time in May in Vancouver Canada. Van couver was a great party town if you were into Top 40 cover bands, On any weekend there were a half dozen to choose from. but if you were looking for an alternative there was only one place to go: Luv-A-Fair usually shortened to Luvafair. It started out as a gay bar in the 70's (hence the odd name) but changed in 1980 to cater to a different crowd, Why they didn't change the name I don't know. That weeekend in May they hosted one of the few west coast stops on Depeche Modes first US tour/ DM was nothing like what you know today and to tell the truth I wasn't all that impressed. The beer was cold and the girls friendly so a good time was had.
Same tour, different show.

I've never been lucky enough to see a future mega-stardom band on an early, unknown tour. Those must be some special memories. The closest I have is a band named "Muse". Not the stadium band from England, of course, but a really bad local band that opened for Collective Soul (I think?) at the Electric Factory in the mid-90s. They were fronted by a flamboyant singer who looked like he was trying to cross-dress as heights-of-heroin Courtney Love, and failing miserably. They were literally booed off the stage when he started crying about the "hurtful comments". For some crazy reason, that Collective Soul show was probably one of the most violent club concerts I've ever been to -- and, I saw early'ish Pantera there, too.

Funny -- just yesterday I was driving my 16-year-old daughter and her friends up to the mall in Seville, and one of the girls put on a 90s rap Spotify playlist and was singing along with many of the songs. "Tha Crossroads" by BT&H came on, and I had to resist not rapping along with them. It was a very strange feeling of juxtaposition to have literally been in their seat -- at their age in a friend's parent's car -- listening to that song while being driven around somewhere back in high school.

Last edited:
I've never been lucky enough to see a future mega-stardom band on an early, unknown tour. Those must be some special memories. The closest I have is a band named "Muse". Not the stadium band from England, of course, but a really bad local band that opened for Collective Soul (I think?) at the Electric Factory in the mid-90s. They were fronted by a flamboyant singer who looked like he was trying to cross-dress as heights-of-heroin Courtney Love, and failing miserably. They were literally booed off the stage when he started crying about the "hurtful comments". For some crazy reason, that Collective Soul show was probably one of the most violent club concerts I've ever been to -- and, I saw early'ish Pantera there, too.

Funny -- just yesterday I was driving my 16-year-old daughter and her friends up to the mall in Seville, and one of the girls put on a 90s rap Spotify playlist and was singing along with many of the songs. "Tha Crossroads" by BT&H came on, and I had to resist not rapping along with them. It was a very strange feeling of juxtaposition to have literally been in their seat -- at their age in a friend's parent's car -- listening to that song while being driven around somewhere back in high school.
I found out about Luv-A-Fair because I went to see Skinny Puppy there (who I had already seen in Seattle) and at the time they were fairly popular in the northwest. It just happened that they had started selling DM tickets that day so for$5 I took a chance. It just works out if you go to a lot of clubs you'll eventually see bands that make it

Back at the UW for what had to be the Administrations nightmare - Black Flag. There was at least one security guard for every 10 concert goers. This was the first tour with Henry Rollins as lead singer in support of one of the seminal iconic albums in punk - Damaged. The audience spanned the range of shaved heads, purple Mohawk s, blonde stoners to the simply curious and our contingent of 2 carloads of Marines. The mosh pit wasn't too crazy although there were a few bloody noses from flailing arms and maybe jerky head movements. Certainly high energy on both the floor and the stage as Henry roamed and howled like an uncaged possessed animal. Hard to believe he wasn't on something, The audience was well behaved and no riot started so all the security just hung around and tried to figure out what they were seeing.

I saw quite a few shows at the Seattle Center Arena including my first Seattle concert ever in 1980. This is still keeping it in April 1982 with the Ronnie James Dio led Black Sabbath on the Mob Rules tour.They played 2 nights but I was at the first night. I usually like first nights because the band plays longer since they don't have to rush to another city for the next show, Can't say that is true every time but enough that I noticed it.
The Arena used to be and old hockey rink so it was kinda cavernous but didn't sound bad because there was a lot more wood used then places like The Spectrum, The Garden, Cobo, The Forum etc,etc. Sounded pretty close to the Cow Palace IMO. The most notable thing about the show is that some of the performance was used for the Live Evil record but I did't learn that until years later

Same tour the next stop after Seattle

Last edited: