• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Evil Dr. Moki's Group Blind Taste Test #2

I really liked the Coronado Toro when I smoked it. Reminded me of a grown up version of a Por Larranaga Montecarlo.

The taste profile on the corona seems so different to the toro somehow... But it shares the strength of its bigger brother nonetheless.

I was actually thinking it was a Tatuaje. Man, this is going to be very interesting. Can't wait for No. 2!

I was actually thinking it was a Tatuaje. Man, this is going to be very interesting. Can't wait for No. 2!

Same here! It seemed like that same raw profile as the Regios. My least favorite of Pete's line. Makes me want to go smoke a Coronado to see if I get the same thing with the preconceptions in place.

Very interesting. I'll be paying close attention. Now I'll have to burn one to see who's taste I fall in line with.

Brian

Very nice job guys. :thumbs:

Great reviews guys.

These blind taste tests are always very interesting.

I only had one of those. Peppery, and spice. Not my profile. Tossed it half way through.
What I find so funny is I tossed mine half way through just like Grateful1. As for Elittle he would have done the same.
Most of descriptions and rating here would have matched mine to the T. Overall 3/10

I wasn't too shocked about this one. It started good and finished terribly just like the other Coronado I've smoked but it had been a while. Granted I was extremely off in my logic as to what it was. But, it is a very good test to the senses. Now on Cigar No. 2 :/

The first Coronado I ever tried was a churchill. It was actually very tasty. The toros I've had since were rough, like this, whereas the churchill was pretty smooth.

I'm aging a few to see how they do.

In case anyone is interested in the makeup of the Coronado, this is from Litto's site: Launched in 2006, the Coronado is our first line of cigars, wrapped in Habano Sun-Grown Nicaraguan leafs. The filler is a blend of Dominican Sumatra and Piloto Cubano; the binder is Dominican Corojo, both in our farm in La Canela.

I'm not a fan of this cigar either. Beyond the harsh finish, something about the blend just wasn't right for me. My favorite LFDs remain the Cameroon Cabinet robusto and the 2007 Bad to the Bone (the Snicker bar).

Still waiting on reviews from Napa_Smokes and Seanholio. If I don't have them by midnight Pacific time, I'll just count them out of this one, and post the results from the 8 that I do have.

I've had a couple Double Coronas and a couple Lanceros. One of the Lanceros was rather poorly constructed, while one of the DCs was muted and shallow in flavor, but I really liked each of the others I had. Based on my uselessly small sample size, it definitely seems like a rather inconsistent line. I do agree that these seem lighter in all dimensions than most LFDs.

Still waiting on reviews from Napa_Smokes and Seanholio. If I don't have them by midnight Pacific time, I'll just count them out of this one, and post the results from the 8 that I do have.

I'm sorry to have pushed it to the limit on these reviews. I'll be getting the future ones into you with more time to go.

Cigar #2 review

blind2_cigar02.jpg

ELittle said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 6/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 5/10 - Last 1/3rd: 4/10 - Overall: 5/10

Price: $8.00

Review: The cigar has a really lose draw which kind of turned me off. I usually like a little bit of pull but it still wasnt too bad. On the predraw I'm tasting a little earth and some spice on the wrapper. There is copious amounts of smoke and a very even burn through the first third, and the spice starts picking up for sure. But there is an undesirable sweet flavor in the backround that I can't put my finger on.

The second third is mediocre. This could be do to a sinus/cold thing I've had recently as the cigar is losing a lot of its flavor now. I can still taste the spice but nothing else amazing is happening.

The final third was disappointing. The cigar keeps going out, the taste has all but vanished and it just tastes like tobacco.

It was good in the beginning, but either this cigar was just really bad or my cold had a major influence.

insight said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 6/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 6/10 - Last 1/3rd: 6/10 - Overall: 6/10

Price: $10.00

Review: First third: Has a very easy draw, not loose but there is plenty of smoke. The smoke is mild and grassy without much spice.

Second third: The cigar remains mild to my tastes, with a smooth nutty flavor becoming more transparent than the initial grassy flavor. There is a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Final third: The grassy finish returns with a slight creaminess. Much like the first blind cigar I am not getting a ton of distinct flavor from this one. The difference is for whatever reason this cigar seems more refined to me. It doesn't have the youthful raw taste of the previous stick and that earned it a higher review at each phase from me.

Price: how much do you think this cigar sells for? Tough to say but I would guess it was about $9-$11 a stick. I would guess though that if I am off it is because I am lowballing the price, not the reverse.

Kingantz said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 3/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 3/10 - Last 1/3rd: 4/10 - Overall: 3.3/10

Price: $5.00

Review: This was a nice looking cigar with noticeable oils in the medium brown, smooth wrapper. There was a good weight in the hand, and I found a couple of soft spots that ran the length approximately an inch or so. I sniffed the foot and got a tobacco smell with some cocoa. I let my wife take a smell and she said it was like stinky feet. I punched the triple cap and found the draw a tad bit on the loose side, but still enough resistance to hopefully smoke okay.

Beginning 1/3
I put fire to the foot and blew the embers to get an even burn. After a few puffs to get it burning good, I took a good draw and was hit with a heavy blast of strong pepper spice. There wasn’t much flavor in the medium bodied smoke to speak of. Possibly a hint of lightly toasted bread. Other than that, just straightforward tobacco. The burn was good with a loose, white ash that was quite flaky. Bits falling off here and there. Nothing in the way of a finish.

Middle 1/3
There isn’t much more here than in the beginning 1/3 really. Still getting a heft dose of pepper spice in the medium bodied smoke. I kept thinking there was a hint of cocoa in there, however it just kept escaping me. The burn continued to be decent with the ash remaining white and flaky. Ashing the cigar, I saw there was a couple of tunnels running down the center. The draw was good, still getting a nice enough resistance to smoke well.

Final 1/3
Heading into the final 1/3, I started to detect a bit of flavor. That of a black coffee with hints of woodiness. The smoke strengthened only slightly to a medium-full and the pepper spice continued as before. On in, there was definitely a little more flavor that was dark and only slightly lasting on the palate. The wrapper cracked with about an inch and a half left and the cigar bulged out a little, and the draw became quite loose towards the end. Tastes of very strong, black coffee came through with a small amount of cocoa and wood.

Summary: I’m not too sure about this cigar. The burn was decent enough with a white, flaky ash, however I have to say the flavor was quite bland through about ¾ of the smoke. Only towards the end did I begin to really pick up tastes of black coffee and a dark woodiness. It very much reminded me of a cigar I smoked not long ago. Hmmm…

Price point: Just going by the way it smoked, I would have to say around $4 to $6. However, the cigar I smoked not long ago with a very similar profile was around $14 to $17.

Off the record, the stick I recently smoked that I feel was similar was a Bolivar Legendarios RE '08.

bfisher88 said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 7/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 6/10 - Last 1/3rd: 7/10 - Overall: 6.6/10

Price: $9.00

Review: This robusto had a very nice dark oily wrapper and burned very consistent all the way through. Had a very tasty spice up front but it didn't seem to change much in flavor throughout the cigar. Overall I thought it was an OK cigar. Nothing reall spectacular but a decent smoke I enjoyed. Don't think I would go out of my way to get these but it was not bad.

enerjay said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 6/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 5/10 - Last 1/3rd: 5/10 - Overall: 5.3/10

Price: $5.00

Review: First 1/3rd: 6 First third of the cigar was very basic, not much flavor came through. I did pick up on some lite coffee flavor.
The draw was very nice, as was the construction of this stick.

Middle 1/3rd: 5 Five is the number I give the second third of this cigar. Once again the flavor never cam out in full, coffee,oak and perhaps a creamy flavor, I will say almond.
The burn was running a little off the mark. I had to touch it up twice buy know and just said for get it and let it run a little of cue. The draw was still very easy and it was holding together nicely.
That's what kept it at 5.

Final 1/3rd: 5 NOTHING, no change. I was hoping for this one to come out of the closet by know but just drifted away. Last third turned
Slightly bitter. Just to the back of the tongue. I really was not about this stick.

Summary: Cigar number TWO was again a great looking cigar. The wrapper had very small veins if any. However I just did not seem to get much flavor from her.
Coffee, oak and maybe a creamy back tone, but all were very faint. I even rinsed my mouth out trying to clear my plait. Once the burn went south and the faint bitter taste
came too, I just lost interest.

Napa_Smokes said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 8/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 9/10 - Last 1/3rd: 7/10 - Overall: 8/10

Price: $9.00

Review: Pre-light: Wrapper is flawless, nice mild cedar aroma off the cigar pre-light. There is one soft spot in the cigar about 1/2 up the foot for 1/2 an inch. Upon cutting the cap, the cigar has a very easy draw.

First Third: High volume of smoke, medium in body, yet a mild to med cigar with a light and complex flavor profile coming through, there is a little nuttiness to this cigar as well as some other flavors I can not quit describe with a touch of earthiness. 8/10

Second Third: The soft spot has become a little squishy. The nuttiness has become a little more promanite with a touch of cocoa coming through now. The earthiness is still there. Still volumes and volumes of smoke, Ash has hung on from the beginning. Turning more into a medium strength cigar. 9/10

Final Third: This is my least favorite part of most cigars. I typically only smoke them down to this point and let them go out. As I got to this point the cigar has started to build in flavor and the nic has built up pretty well. The squishy part of the cigar has continued to get larger. The nuttiness is developing a sharpness at the end. Still a good smoke but not the flavors I tend to enjoy in one. 7/10

I would guess the price to be somewhere around the $8-$10 a stick price for this smoke.

Overall very good cigar and I am curious to see what it is.

jfields said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 6/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 4/10 - Last 1/3rd: 6/10 - Overall: 5.3/10

Review: Upon lighting the taste was very spicy. This settled down very quickly after the first three or four draws. Nice smoke with floral hay flavors. Somewhat of a citrus flavor that reminds me of a chicory plant that I used to chew on as a young kid. The second third went somewhat flat with woody/tea flavor trying to peek in here and there. The last third of this cigar I tasted leather predominately, becoming a bit more pleasant. Overall, not a bad smoke. Not something I'd seek out, but not a bad cigar by any means. I'm going to guess Dominican even though I have not a clue who makes it.

grateful1 said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 5/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 6/10 - Last 1/3rd: 7/10 - Overall: 6/10

Review: Great smoke. Good draw and burn. Initial draw pre-light, was a little odd. It almost made me cringe a little...it was 'biting'.
Post light...all that went away. It reminded me of a nice farm-rolled. It'd like to see the profile of this over its years...from young to mature.

BlindedByScience said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 7/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 7/10 - Last 1/3rd: 7/10 - Overall: 7/10

Price: $11.00

Review: Pre-light the foot gives off some mild spice, nothing like #1. The wrapper aromas are very subdued; very nice and slightly nutty, perhaps. The Xikar “scored and lifted” the cap off the foot flawlessly. Draw is very nice and open. Taste was pretty uniform from start to finish with a nice rotation of white pepper, some nice grassy tastes, maybe some hay / dusty flavors….very nice! I enjoyed this cigar quite a bit.

Seanholio said:

Rating: First 1/3rd: 6/10 - Middle 1/3rd: 6/10 - Last 1/3rd: 5/10 - Overall: 5.6/10

Review: The cigar drew great, had no burn problems. I enjoyed the smoke, and there were ligero flavors in various strengths throughout. Unfortunately, that's all I tasted. There was a rough start with heavy spice, which mellowed out into a long ligero smokeout. As to be expected from the flavor profile, it carried a nicotine punch that caught me. I hadn't eaten dinner properly for a big kicker like this, and I followed it up with an Opus PL because I had it with me.

I'm guessing this is an $8 cigar, and probably a Camacho.

Lowest rating: Kingantz 3.3/10
Highest rating: Napa_Smokes 8/10
Average rating: 5.8/10

6 - pretty good cigar, I'd smoke it if it was given to me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it
5 - okay cigar, enjoyable enough, but nothing special

Lowest price: Kingantz $5.00
Highest price: BlindedByScience $11.00
Average price: $8.10

Cigar #2 is actually a...

blind2_cigar02_banded.jpg

Pepin Garcia "My Father" Robusto (2008) - price*: $9.00

Commentary: This is a cigar that I actually had never had prior to picking it for the blind taste test. I smoked it just before sending the cigars out to everyone; I think I enjoyed it a bit more than the blind taste testers did (on average), giving it a 6/10 or so.

Again we see a recurring theme that for every cigar, you'll find some people who really don't like the cigar (Kingantz in this case), and some people who really like the cigar (Napa_Smokes). Was it their mood at the time? Was it just a good/bad cigar from the batch? Who knows... many factors go into how much you enjoy a cigar, not just the tobacco blend!

Some said it was mild, some said it was strong/spicy... were they all smoking the same cigar? Yes they were...

Those of you blind taste testers who've had a "My Father" cigar before... did this cigar score similar when you smoked it blind compared to knowing what it was? Inquiring minds want to know... and also again guys, while it isn't a requirement, if you want to guess at age, marca, country of origin, etc, feel free!

* Denotes the price I paid for this cigar, not necessarily the MSRP

Wow! I should have known it had something to do with Pepin. Especially the way it started off so spicy and settled down so quickly. Most of his blends do that in my own personal experience.
That was my first My Father.

I am not totally surprised by this one either honestly. Pepin products are so hit or miss for me that I have come to anticipate some level of mediocrity. This was certainly not a bad cigar, just not one I would stock up on.