• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Generosity Exchange

Sorry, I wasn't able to get to the PO in time on Sat. I mailed the box off today, DC #

Mickey said:
Sorry, I wasn't able to get to the PO in time on Sat. I mailed the box off today
No sweat. I had the same problem with the Gumbo pass :)

They went out on Monday, Matalo should have it today, I think. Georgetown TX to Venus TX shouldn't take very long.

Glad I checked before I hit "send":

Delivery Status

You entered 0300 6000 0004 6014 5562

Your item was delivered at 12:33 pm on October 02, 2002 in VENUS, TX 76084.

And it creeps along.... :D

Ok, now that he's mailed the box and it's well out of Texas, it's probably safe for me to tell you a "Mickey story" :)

I started reading alt.smokers.cigars (ASC) in the 2nd half of May of this year, and lurked there for, oh... it must've been 3 or 4 minutes before I started posting my inane stupid newbie questions (you know: what should you do if your humidor goes up to 72%?, whats the best cigar?, how far in do you snip?, etc... :D) and causing no end of trouble.

Coincidentally, Mickey started reading ASC at about the same time (right, Mickey?), although he'd been smoking regularly for much longer than I had.

Well, one thing led to another,and Mickey recognized a fun-loving trouble-maker when he saw one ("takes one...", and all that), and we fast became on-line friends, asking our questions and making fun of the sticks in the mud who were too proud to admit that they didn't know, either.

Then, one day, I get an e-mail asking for my snailer -- seems Mickey's got a bunch of cigars that taste good, but are too strong for his pallate. Ok, so I send it, and next thing I know, I'm getting box after box of cigars from this very generous stranger.

Ok, it probably didn't hurt that, using my psychic powers, I was able to determine that he and I grew up infected by many of the exact same memes and, hence, it is as if we've known each other for several decades.

So, one thing leads to another, and Mickey's sending me another box of cigars -- just for the hell of it. Then another...

At first I think "mental note: send Mickey some cigars, some day." After the 2nd box, I think "ok, make it some GOOD cigars..." :p Then I start getting ISOMs (I'd been whining in ASC about how I'd never had one <G>), and eventually I have to tell the guy "hey! Quit sending me stuff, I can't afford the karmic-debt!"

(When you're like me, you spend a lot of time riding the karmic fence, and have to be careful about accumulating too much karmic debt, lest you fall over onto the wrong side and can't get out :lookup: )

Anyway, I got him back by finally sending him a few pretty good cigars and a bunch of books I thought he'd like, one of which he still talks about, so THAT's satisfying! :) I hope to meet him someday and pour a beer down his^W^W^W^W buy him a beer -- but now he tells me I have to hitchike halfway across the country to do it, so it might be a while. Either way, we e-mail frequently, and he's a great guy/dog -- even if he does tend to drool a bit.

Several of the cigars in the box are gifts from Mickey -- my first experience with "wow, cigar smokers sure are a generous lot!" -- so feel free to blame him for any enjoyment you might get out of this pass and/or its stories.

If you guys will pardon my interuption.....

Dang I am sorry to have missed this one, this pass looks like a lot of fun, the stories are great. Each one!!!!

Joe, dude, very touching!

Man, when I decide to miss one, I miss a dooooozy :(

Misc, rereading this link today and found the updated link for the Vegas Santiago Cigars. Just wanted to let you know I ordered some, and will post a review. :D

Wascal

Misc is far too kind. We do have an awful lot of personality points in common like being a fun-loving trouble makers, except I think I'm nosier than he is :p .

He may be more of a newbie than I am, but I've learned a few things from him, too. Like you can give away cigars you don't want to total strangers, and they'll give you books!! :D

Thanks for the kind words, Misc. :)

Sorry I have not replied or anything as of late. I had to go out of town for my brother-in-law's funeral as he passed away last Saturday night.

My stories about the cigars mainly involved him as when I would go to Houston we would trade cigars and smoke our gifts together. I just got home yesterday and got the package. Sorry, but I did not feel up to opening it yet. I will try and do so when I get home today. Should I send it out Friday or wait until Monday so they do not sit in 100+ weather?

matalo said:
Sorry I have not replied or anything as of late. I had to go out of town for my brother-in-law's funeral as he passed away last Saturday night.
Don't worry about it. Take your time, do what you need to do. Nobody needs a box of cigars enough to rush you through this.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope there's a cigar in that box that will trigger a happy memory for you...

PuroBrat said:
Dang I am sorry to have missed this one, this pass looks like a lot of fun, the stories are great. Each one!!!!
[...]
Man, when I decide to miss one, I miss a dooooozy :(
Hey, PB -- it ain't over, yet! Quick, send me your snaily, we'll try to work you in.

Misc <-- willing to flex a little, for a good story :)

Dude, thanks for the invite, and I would love to play, unfortunately I have nothing to play with. I have been gifted many cigars over the years, but they have all been destroyed by fire. I don't have funds to replace them so all my humis are currently empty and will most likely remain that way for the foreseeable future. But I will be reading this thread and enjoying the stories none the less.

Hey, that reminds me of two ideas I have for future passes (no stealing! :))

One is the "liar's pass" -- it works just like a regular pass, except that everyone is obligated to make up the tallest tale they can about what happened to the box, what they took, what they put, what happened on the way to the post office, etc...

Of course, folks should be truthful about "got the box today", and "sent it today with DC#...", and they should do honest puts & takes with fair value like a normal pass, regardless of what they SAY they took and put -- but everything in between should be "tall tale" (including "I took both the Swisher sweets and a Dutch Masters, and put half a pack of camel lites I found in front of the Post Office on the way home" type things :0 )

I'm not starting it up, yet (gonna take a brief break after this one), but does that sound like fun to anyone besides me?

The other is the "never ending pass", for people like me who just like to be in passes, and don't really care whose pass it is or why it started. The idea is to start a pass and, as soon as 3 people sign up, put the box on the road. But here's the hitch: even while the box is in motion, people can continue to sign-up. When the box gets back to the originator (me), he just adds the new names (crossing off the names of anyone who wants to drop out), does his puts & takes, and then sends the box around again. People can join-up any time, and they can drop out any time, but the box just keeps going around and around and around until it gets home and no one's left playing, then then pass is over. In theory, it could last years...

For pass-addicts like myself, this would be the perfect way to always be in a pass and never have to worry that there are no open passes to sign up for.

So, does THAT idea seem interesting to anyone besides me?!

Stay tuned -- I'll try to fire off one or both of these before year's end, and the other shortly after it (assuming I get a few "yeah, that idea doesn't suck as bad as some of yours..." type responses. :D)

Misc said:
The other is the "never ending pass", for people like me who just like to be in passes, and don't really care whose pass it is or why it started. The idea is to start a pass and, as soon as 3 people sign up, put the box on the road. But here's the hitch: even while the box is in motion, people can continue to sign-up. When the box gets back to the originator (me), he just adds the new names (crossing off the names of anyone who wants to drop out), does his puts & takes, and then sends the box around again. People can join-up any time, and they can drop out any time, but the box just keeps going around and around and around until it gets home and no one's left playing, then then pass is over. In theory, it could last years...

For pass-addicts like myself, this would be the perfect way to always be in a pass and never have to worry that there are no open passes to sign up for.
The only draw back I see is this. The guys on this board are not only generous passers, at times they bomb you from within your own pass. So, if this pass gets up around 10 people to start, then you start adding from there, the cost of shipping the box gets quite high. Maybe you could tag team and have a dual host. Someone to put in the middle if this thing gets unweildly. Just my 2 cents.

Emo

[QUThe other is the "never ending pass", for people like me who just like to be in passes, and don't really care whose pass it is or why it started. OTE]
Hey Misc, I was thinking about starting a large gauge pass (mostly maduros) maybe we could get together on this after the new year and set it up to go around the block a few times, start with 10 people and add and remove as it goes? Let me know what you think.

Have your people contact my people -- we'll "do lunch" :D

My "people" mainly consist of a 6 year old (he is a little busy playing Spiderman) and 3 lab's (and well there just licking them selves) :p so I will get with you around Christmas time,I have about 25 sticks put aside and was planing on getting it to 40 (all 50 -60 gaugers) mainly maddies, maybe we can start it around the new year and try to get it to last till the following new year? or something of that nature. I will keep in touch :thumbs:

Did I miss a post? Did the box go out, yesterday (Monday)?

Not trying to rush anyone -- I know Matalo's got things on his mind -- just curious.

Thanks!