• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Pittsburgh Steelers

As a Steelers fan through and through, some would say I bleed black and gold, I admit that the Steelers were beat by the Bengals last season. Twice for that matter. But that does not in turn make the Bengals a better team. If you look back at the records of both teams, who has more wins? Who has more super bowls? Who has a more classy organization? Who has had less convicted criminals on their rosters? The answers are, Steelers, Steelers, Steelers, and...............you guessed it, the Steelers. There's an old saying, some battles may be lost, but the war can still be won. In this case, the war was won years ago by the Steelers and the more years the NFL is in existence, the greater the casualty count of the Bengals will be. No doubt the Steelers will lose some soldiers, but that does not mean they were defeated.

As a Steelers fan through and through, some would say I bleed black and gold, I admit that the Steelers were beat by the Bengals last season. Twice for that matter. But that does not in turn make the Bengals a better team. If you look back at the records of both teams, who has more wins? Who has more super bowls? Who has a more classy organization? Who has had less convicted criminals on their rosters? The answers are, Steelers, Steelers, Steelers, and...............you guessed it, the Steelers. There's an old saying, some battles may be lost, but the war can still be won. In this case, the war was won years ago by the Steelers and the more years the NFL is in existence, the greater the casualty count of the Bengals will be. No doubt the Steelers will lose some soldiers, but that does not mean they were defeated.

I like this guy. :thumbs:

I admit that the Steelers were beat by the Bengals last season. Twice for that matter.

Wow! Thanks so much for being the second to admit that the Bengals readily handled all 2009 season games with the Steelers. You guys are making progress in this forced therapy session. You see, as some of the members of this forum would readily tell you, the first step toward getting help is to admit that you have a problem. Your admissions are only going to help you in your recovery from being a Steeler fan. One step at a time, gentlemen.

I see that none of you chose to address my very appropriate analogy of the Indiana Hoosiers. Obviously you chose not to address that issue because you cannot do so. Does Ohio State, who won the Big Ten Men's Basketball Championship this year, bow down to Indiana because Indiana has won in the past? No. In fact, Ohio State is hailed as the CURRENT champion of the Big Ten. They will be so until someone takes that title away from them.

The once horrendous Saints (Aints) are the Super Bowl Champions and right now they bow to no one. They walk with pride, as they should, and they do so knowing that right now is their time. Do we say the Saints suck because they really used to suck terribly? No. We cannot say that because they are the champs.

Do you dispute that the Bengals are the CURRENT AFC North Champion? I don't think you can. Do you want for me to dredge up Steeler material that claimed that the Steelers were reigning champions coming from '08 into '09? Such material is ubiquitous. Steeler programs, signs, advertisements and other paraphernalia proclaiming them as the reigningNFL Champion was used throughout the 2009 season...and you know that it was. So, until such time as some team, likely the Ravens instead of the Steelers, takes away the AFC North from the Bengals, you are going to have to deal with your disappointing third place finish.

What have you done for me lately, Steelers? Well, since you guys don't like to answer my questions, let me answer for you: You finished 3rd in the AFC North and you lost to the Bengals twice. That is what you have done for me lately. Complacency and boastfulness put you at the bottom of the division with the Browns. Ouch. I am sorry for having to say that your team was hanging out with the Browns in the bottom of the division. You really ought to be more careful about the company that your team keeps!

Hey Stu, don't ya just love it when you're talking sports with a die-hard fan and they have to bring up past accomplishments to mask recent failure?

I know you're a lawyer and you like to beat around the facts, so lets go straight to them. Team records for the past decade:
Pittsburgh Steelers Season records:
Year W L T Pts
2009 9 7 0 368
2008 12 4 0 347 (Superbowl Win)
2007 10 6 0 393
2006 8 8 0 353
2005 11 5 0 389 (Superbowl Win)
2004 15 1 0 372
2003 6 10 0 300
2002 10 5 1 390
2001 13 3 0 352
2000 9 7 0 321
Totals: 103 Wins, 56 losses, 1 tie, 3585 points, and 2 league championships

Cincinnati Bengals Season records:
Year W L T Pts
2009 10 6 0 305 (Division champions)
2008 4 11 1 204
2007 7 9 0 380
2006 8 8 0 373
2005 11 5 0 421
2004 8 8 0 374
2003 8 8 0 346
2002 2 14 0 279
2001 6 10 0 226
2000 4 12 0 185
Totals: 68 wins, 91 losses, 3093 points, 1 division championship

So you tell me, who has the better team?

edit: dang the numbers are all pushed to the left, sorry about that

I know you're a lawyer and you like to beat around the facts, so lets go straight to them. Team records for the past decade:
Pittsburgh Steelers Season records:
Year W L T Pts
2009 9 7 0 368
2008 12 4 0 347 (Superbowl Win)
2007 10 6 0 393
2006 8 8 0 353
2005 11 5 0 389 (Superbowl Win)
2004 15 1 0 372
2003 6 10 0 300
2002 10 5 1 390
2001 13 3 0 352
2000 9 7 0 321
Totals: 103 Wins, 56 losses, 1 tie, 3585 points, and 2 league championships

Cincinnati Bengals Season records:
Year W L T Pts
2009 10 6 0 305 (Division champions)
2008 4 11 1 204
2007 7 9 0 380
2006 8 8 0 373
2005 11 5 0 421
2004 8 8 0 374
2003 8 8 0 346
2002 2 14 0 279
2001 6 10 0 226
2000 4 12 0 185
Totals: 68 wins, 91 losses, 3093 points, 1 division championship

So you tell me, who has the better team?

edit: dang the numbers are all pushed to the left, sorry about that

See Stu, they keep making my point for me.

Hey Stu, don't ya just love it when you're talking sports with a blow-hard fan and they have to bring up past accomplishments to mask recent failure?

Hey, Jonesy, I fixed that for you.

These guys just simply cannot think. I have already proven that Steeler fans are dense between the ears and look like trolls. But, given the fact that they keep struggling with this concept, I feel compelled to keep helping them. That is the charitable side of me.

See, Steeler fans, this is what you need to know:

San Francisco Forty Niners - with Montana and Rice they were amazing. Inferior now to the once woeful Aints.;
Notre Dame Fighting Irish - even Lou Holtz could field some amazing teams there. Inferior now to even the likes of Boise State;
Philadelphia 76ers - so fun to watch with Dr. J and company. Cleveland (yes, that horrendous city) is now showing them how it is done;
UCLA Bruins - Absolutely dominated the game under a man named Wooden. Inferior now to Butler...BUTLER!!!;
Cincinnati Reds - Almost incomparable when they rolled as the Big Red Machine. They lost the division to the Cubs recently enough to make fans wonder if the curse of the goat moved south;
New York Islanders - They won FOUR Stanley Cups in a row in the early 80s. Now they are looking up the chain at such tradition rich programs as the Atlanta Thrashers...they have ice in Georgia?.

All of that past glory of all of those teams means nothing. Just like the past glory of your precious Steelers means absolutely nothing...except for maybe being handy in the occasional game of Trivial Pursuit.

I think it is pretty simple to say who has the better team. Cincinnati does. 2009 has proven that to be correct. Plus, Cincinnati can say it is better than Pittsburgh until Pittsburgh proves themselves worthy of claiming otherwise by winning a game. Your rhetoric, Steeler fans, is not lost on me but you really ought to re-study your verb tenses. Perhaps you meant to show, through all of those skewed numbers, that Pittsburgh had the better team. Please consult a high school English text book if you cannot understand the difference. :D

All of that past glory of all of those teams means nothing.

I think it is pretty simple to say who has the better team. Cincinnati does. 2009 has proven that to be correct. Plus, Cincinnati can say it is better than Pittsburgh until Pittsburgh proves themselves worthy of claiming otherwise by winning a game.

This is what the whole "argument" comes down to.

You guys can flaunt your 6 titles and anything else you want, but like Punky said, until you beat them, don't talk shit. Yea, you have a storied history, but last I checked, any sport is strictly "what have you done for me lately", and lately your team has made the Bengals look like choir boys!

Oh my gawd... :rolleyes:

Stu is already a lost cause because he's Stu. But you, Brian?? Well, the only thing I can say is:

SUCK IT, JONESY!!!

Oh my gawd... :rolleyes:

Stu is already a lost cause because he's Stu. But you, Brian?? Well, the only thing I can say is:

SUCK IT, JONESY!!!

Typical 'off-the-issue' response. Really, Jonesy, I hear nothing in response to the arguments. Nothing but C-R-I-C-K-E-T-S!!!

Shouldn't you be in bed by now?

It's a dead issue. The Bengals had a nice season. They finally beat the Steelers, but they didn't win The Big Game. When they win a few Super Bowls, then you can compare apples to apples. Until then - end of story.

...they didn't win The Big Game. When they win a few Super Bowls, then you can compare apples to apples.

Ahh the familiar refrain of glory lost. Boyz 2 Men, those wise philosophers, would urge you to add the following lyrics to your ballad of days gone by: And I'll take with me the memories to be my sunshine after the rain, It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

Really, guys, go find some Hoosier, Bruin, Islander, Niner, Sixer or Fighting Irish fans to hang out with and share your tales of days gone by with them. We fans of winners are getting tired of toiling with you fans of losers. We don't really have time to listen to your pathetic cries of how your history matters.

Who dey? Not the Steelers.

Such is our lot in life. Whether the champions in title or in perception, we are the standard to which all others compare. Throw your stones, boys. Steeler Nation recognizes that you are merely 'wanna be' fans.

The Browns? Are you serious?

Shouldn't you be in bed by now?

It's a dead issue. The Bengals had a nice season. They finally beat the Steelers, but they didn't win The Big Game. When they win a few Super Bowls, then you can compare apples to apples. Until then - end of story.

You know me John, just an instigator!
laugh.gif

You guys just aren't seeing Stu's point! You're blinded by the six Lombardi trophies in front of you, that's why I'm mixing it up with you. He's not trying to get you to "compare apples to apples", not saying that over time the Bengals have been the better team, what I'm seeing from Stu is that he just wants one of you Steelers fans to just fess up and say "yea, the Bengals are better than the Steelers" (at this particular point in time, not overall). Only because they beat them each time last year. Never has he said the Bengals were a better overall team, had a more storied history, or would even live up to the Steelers in the future. You guys just read to far into it and saw red immediately. See, that's why Stu's a lawyer...he's crafty. He threw out a statement and as any good fan would do, you guys immediately threw up old facts and statistics....you played right into his hand!!

The Bengals will never have the history or the success the Steelers have had, but for 1 year, the most recent, they owned you guys. As any good rival fan would do, Stu has challenged one of you to just come out and say those magic words....

...so he can have a new sig tag!
laugh.gif

Nah. Stu just likes to argue. :p

Well now, that statement is worthy of debate! :laugh:

Seriously, read Jonesy's comment above, study his statements...but, wow, Breedy's link is 1000 times worse than anything that I have written.

Nah. Stu just likes to argue. :p

Well now, that statement is worthy of debate! :laugh:

Seriously, read Jonesy's comment above, study his statements...but, wow, Breedy's link is 1000 times worse than anything that I have written.

Yeah, but he's a Browns fan. You have to give them a certain degree of leeway because they're...well...Browns fans.

*edited to add:

I understand that you're trying to get Steeler's fans to say the Bengals are a better team, but I refuse to perjure myself.

I understand that you're trying to get Steeler's fans to say the Bengals are a better team, but I refuse to perjure myself.

But you wouldn't be! As of right this particular moment in time, no matter how much it hurts to admit, the Bengals are better.