• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Vets Pass - RESULTS!

Saturday I finally got a chance to smoke a cigar from the pass. #23 was the lucky one.

This cigar was box pressed, about 6.5x48, with a very nice medium brown mottled toothy wrapper. It was very firm and smelled a little of leather. I clipped the end and the prelite draw tasted of good aged tobacco.

The initial flavors were of good well aged tobacco with some peppery spice. As I continued to smoke it, I noticed the flavor of leather and sometimes hints of coffee. It was a good medium bodied cigar with some complexity of flavors.

The spice was not as spicy as the Pepin. The well aged tobacco flavor and leather reminded a cigar some of the Ashton cigars. I know I have smoked this one before, just can't remember what it was.

I am still new to smoking ciagrs, less than a year, and it is hard to remember which on tasted like what, but I think this was a Carlos Torano 1959. ???

I enjoyed the cigar and the experience. I can't wait to smoke the next one.

Carlos would be happy to hear you say that but maybe not the guy who made the cigar ;)

I smoked the last of my picks last night, #27. Evenly medium-brown robusto, well-constructed, hint of leather on the nose. Good smoke! Nicely full-bodied, good rich tobacco taste. Reminded me of an Illusione . . . but apparently I'm 1 for 4 and "close, but not the cigar" on the 5th, so what do I know? :laugh:

~Boar

The fact you even hit one on the money is pretty impressive.

I'm currently smoking #30 while studying outside with a nice Hawaiian breeze.
It started of creamy with a hint of spice. Now halfway, there's a little spice left on the front end with light wood and leather notes.
I'm getting a little bit of a bitter after taste though. This little bugger has the color of a CoRo, construction of a Juan Lopez, and I'm not quite sure on the flavor.http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Boca-Chica/forecasts/latest/six_day

EA: I finished it up. All I do know is it finished with a dry leather and wood with an undertone of chocolate and a tannin-like bitter after taste.

We'll see how close you came once this gets home.

Pass arrived. No issues. Puts approved. I picked the three best tasting cigars after licking quite a few of them. I think I'm good. :whistling:

Packed up and ready to send to Rob tomorrow afternoon.

I'm looking forward to firing these up and seeing what I got! Thanks for letting me play, Ray.

-John

You did cherry pick pretty well so a few must have tasted pretty good :D

Duh, should have realized the PO is closed today. Pass will go out tomorrow. You out there Rob?

Happy Veterans day to everyone out there. Thank you for your service to this great country.

John

Well, I finally got around to smoking my takes. My intent was to pick a cigar from each group. After smoking them I believe I have failed.

Cigar #1 was a maduro which I think is a St. Louis Rey or some such Altadis or General cigar brand.
Cigar #13 was bad luck. I believe it to be a Cuban cigar, but uncommonly strong. Perhaps an R&J or Bolivar. This was the fatal pick.
cigar #20 was also, I believe to be a Cuban. No idea as to the brand.

They were all good cigars. I would like more #13's and can't wait to find out what it truly was.

Doc.

Cigar #13 was bad luck. I believe it to be a Cuban cigar, but uncommonly strong. Perhaps an R&J or Bolivar. This was the fatal pick.

They were all good cigars. I would like more #13's and can't wait to find out what it truly was.

Doc.

Was it a ugly cigar? if so, it sounds like a R&J Cazadore which is pretty strong. :thumbs:

I didn't make love to it. I smoked it.:laugh:

Doc

#13 is one of my favorites also. You're gonna be surprised when you see the results :whistling:

So this, uh, took a little detour, but is back on it's way to Rob. I messed up, but it's been resolved. :blush:

Maybe now I can smoke that takes I got. :D

So I smoked #64 last night. 5 x 46 or so, I guess. Dark brown, veiny wrapper with some wrinkles.

I hope this is a low budget smoke. Tasted sweet, sometimes a chemical sweetness. Not very good. This is the kind of flavor that turned mo off from most maduros, especially the processed ones. Thanks for the experience, though. No real complaints from me. :)

If I had to guess, I'd go with something like an Onyx.

I forgot who put this one in. Curious if it's something you like or something you just picked out. Don't say what it is, though.

So I smoked #64 last night. 5 x 46 or so, I guess. Dark brown, veiny wrapper with some wrinkles.

I hope this is a low budget smoke. Tasted sweet, sometimes a chemical sweetness. Not very good. This is the kind of flavor that turned mo off from most maduros, especially the processed ones. Thanks for the experience, though. No real complaints from me. :)

If I had to guess, I'd go with something like an Onyx.

I forgot who put this one in. Curious if it's something you like or something you just picked out. Don't say what it is, though.

Damn John, I am sorry. That is one of my favorites, you MUST have gotten a dud. :( Once this is over and you find out what it is, you will be suprised.

I will dig thru the humidor and see what I can find to make this up to you. ;)

I was hoping that #64 made it back as I like 'em.