• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thievery at Christmas

Four Aces

Just another day in the life, I guess...

Went shopping for the wife's Christmas gifts today. Stopped at the mall and bought her a bracelet. Then I drove to the sporting goods store to buy her a couple of warm-up suits for the gym. I'm in the sporting goods store no more than 15 minutes. When I come back to the car the passenger side window is smashed in and her gift is gone. :0

Called the police who came quickly and made their report. The policeman told me there has been a rash of this up and down the highway. Says the MO is that the crooks just look in a car, if they see a bag, they just smash the window, take the bag and drive on to the next strip mall. I was fit to be tied. I think I'll go back to that parking lot and go on combat patrol there with my Colt .380 :angry:

So, I drive the car to the glass shop for a window replacement [it'll be ready in the morning]. I get a ride home from the shop.

Then I get in my truck [all Texans have trucks besides their regular cars] and drive back to the jewelry store to buy her another bracelet. The lady asked me why I was buying another one, so I told her the story about the break-in. She goes and talks to her manager who then knocks another 25% off of the price. Really nice since the bracelet was already reduced in price as part of a sale. :)

So sometimes one can see the good and the bad in people all in one day, makes life interesting, eh? ;)

Well I'm off to the smoke shop.

Merry Christmas,

FA

Wow - that is really too bad, but really nice of the jewelry store to give you a discount. If I lived down by you I know where I'd be buying jewelry from now on.

That sucks. tiz the season to steal.
atleast the jewelry store manager had a heart.

I'm truely sorry!

Sorry to hear the bad luck. I am glad the jewerly store manager was nice enough to add to your deal! It does the heart good to know that the spirit of Christmas is not lost...sometimes we have to look real hard but it is there.

I would join you patrol with my S&W .357 if i could!!!

In spite of this I hope you and the fam have a great Christmas!!!!

ARGH, that really blows FA :(

I like the idea combat patrol idea
AR15.gif

That was very nice of the jewelry store :thumbs:

That sucks big time! Nothing gets my dander up more then dirty thieves. Great customer service by the jeweler though. Great to hear that. Sorry for your loss though :( :angry:

I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live/shop in but I learned when I live in DC that you NEVER leave anythign in the passenger compartment to temp thieves. Either stick it under the seat, put it in the trunk, or throw somthign on top of it. I now do this even in nice areas. It's just a habit.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but sounds like you have found the silver lining.

Sorry to hear of your loss. THIS is why I carry off-duty during the Christmas season(especially). Just in case I can catch one of these freaks! :angry:

Hope the remainder of your "Season" is a happy one! :D

Floyd T. :sign:

Man, that BLOWS.

Once had someone smash my passenger window to steal a pair of sunglasses off my rear view mirror.

I know what you mean by fit to be tied. :angry:

Take care and don't let something like this dampen your holiday spirit.
Yes it is a pain.
Yes it pisses you off.
But remember, things can be replaced.

That Sucks!!!!! :(

On a lighter note. I cant belive a man that belives in vigilante force (not thats a bad thing ;) ) wont smoke a good cuban :p

Seriously though, Hope this doesnt ruin your holidays :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I own a fishing tackle store here in CT, and recently bailed one of my customers out of the same situation. He had a nice fly rod and reel stolen from him from a smashed window. The rod was a gift from his wife, not bought at my store but the guy is a regular and I gave him a new one at my cost.

I've learned from all the stories of break-ins that float through my store, not to leave anything valuable in sight, but I still can't believe that someone can be so low.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I just got back from my favorite hangout, our local smoke shop. I had another Onyx Reserve. This is the second one I have had. Yesterday I "borrowed" my wife's OR out of the humidor, so now I know she knows how to pick a good cigar.

Yeah, my fault for leaving the package in the car. Funny thing is they didn't take my sunglasses, which are more valuable than the bracelet. The sunglasses were right there between the two front seats. These boys must of done this in just a few seconds: bust the glass, steal the package, and skedaddle out of Dodge on a fast horse.

Regards,

FA

I don't know what everyone is talking about. That news doesn't sound too bad! (assuming you have insurance). You have a receipt for the bracelet and so you'll get back more (25% more) than you paid! :D Of course it is a hassle but think of it as a job; you're getting paid for the work!

:sign: :sign: :sign:

J/K. That sucks, man. That sucks.

Blair,

Nope insurance won't cover it. The glass and the bracelet are below the deductible. In any case, done, gone, and over with.

Hey nice pics of the baby. Congratulations. They grow up so fast, and after 20 years it seems like they were just born yesterday. Enjoy!

Regards,

FA

Man, thieves suck. Slimy grinches.

Just a thought, if your receipt was in the bag, make sure it didn't have your complete credit card number on it too. Some stores still haven't become current with security of charges, and some Internet sites don't needed additional verification for purchases.

sibernation said:
On a lighter note. I cant belive a man that belives in vigilante force (not thats a bad thing ;) ) wont smoke a good cuban :p ...
Oh okay, I see what you mean about the apparent "legal" inconsistency re my policy on Cuban cigars.

It's a little bit different here in Texas, where there are very pro "citizens' arrest" statutes. Texans are also allowed to carry guns in the open [though not practiced], and concealed if one has a concealed-carry permit [which is practiced]. So I can see how this would appear to be "vigilante" in some states, and therefore against the law. But, here it's legal to arrest and carry, just not practiced very much, except out in some West Texas towns. Yikes!

I really wouldn't do this anyway, as my days of chasing bad guys are over. Just kidding on the post.

Most Texans follow the saying by Mark Twain, " an armed society is a polite society". ;)

Let's see I had better end here, as this legal talk may stray into politics, and I just ain't going there.

Regards,

FA

Four Aces said:
Hey nice pics of the baby. Congratulations. They grow up so fast, and after 20 years it seems like they were just born yesterday. Enjoy!

Regards,

FA
Hey thanks, FA! No kidding, by the way, about them growing fast. Can you believe that we already have to have baby gates blocking the stairs? He has been crawling for about 2 months - 3 months and a few weeks ago my wife went upstairs and the baby climbed the stairs to go find her! That's 13 steps! :0 She came out of the bedroom and he was crawling down the hall towards her.

He'll be 8 months next week and I can't believe it has been that long.