• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2016

Tried a San Cristobal Ovation last night. It certainly has one of the prettiest bands I've ever seen on a cigar. Otherwise I didn't think the cigar was all that remarkable for the price.
Certainly is pricey but I do like it. To each his own I guess.

Certainly is pricey but I do like it. To each his own I guess.

Not saying it wasn't good. I just didn't think it was truly special. That goes into the whole "value" debate I guess. I'll happily smoke and enjoy the other two I have, but won't be seeking out any more.

EPC E-Stunner, nice med-full smoke, mild spice, flavorful midrange, just enough on the back end to complete the journey.

Tat Jekyll and a WOAM while I was in NOLA for the week.

Side note...I don't like it when shop keepers pull out a cigar and try to push it on me by sticking it under their nose and sniffing it and then telling me to "smell that."

Interestingly enough, when I was an uber noob, not that I'm. Not still, a shop keeper told me to never do that as there are only a handful of people that can tell anything by doing that to a cigar. Don't know if I fully believe that though.

tmp_13506-20160421_224616-944580892.jpg

Got a box of the original release from Smallbatch last year...good rich smoke. Tons of leather, smooth with plenty of flavor, perfect for after dinner. One of these pulled a gotcha on me too early with nothing in my stomach recently.

Interestingly enough, when I was an uber noob, not that I'm. Not still, a shop keeper told me to never do that as there are only a handful of people that can tell anything by doing that to a cigar. Don't know if I fully believe that though.
If it's going in my mouth, I'm smelling it!

I'm sure this shopkeeper would have 0 issues with females if they wanted to sniff sticks. 0.
Lol probably not. I understand that smelling a cigar is not a sure fire way of determining quality or the enjoyment that I'll get out of it, but if the cigar has any off-odors, I know to stay away (unless it's ammonia, then to give it some down time). Plus, I just enjoy the way they smell pre-light :)

With CCs at least, the aroma at cold is a big indicator of whether it's in a sick period, flat, or its sweet spot.

Don't ask me why, but it's what I've found to be consistent over the years.

Every new to me stick that I have ever bought from Joe Gellman begins with him taking a deep sniff of the foot then handing it to me to do the same. He then asks me what I smelled.

Listening to his descriptions and then taking another sniff I can start to pick out some of the flavors.

That doesn't mean I can taste them, but it is pretty amazing what a good cigar smells like compared to a crappy cigar.

I've heard tobacconists use that line, i.e., they don't know what they're smelling. Funny thing, ask them to elaborate, and a good percentage of them will just get pissed. They are parroting, with no other frame of reference. I can think of several tobacconists who don't smoke cigars or pipes. Some smoke cigarettes, exclusively.

If a person chooses to experience the prelight aroma of a cigar, more power to them. It's about enjoying the experience, the ritual, etc. Whether or not they can detect properly cured leaf, ammonia, mustiness, etc. is not a prerequisite.

My Father S Special. First time I've had a chance to try this stick. Holy cow it's fantastic.

Thanks Puros for the opportunity to enjoy this.