• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2016

This weekend was a bit of a blur between making the drive to OCMD, too much drinking at some cheeze-tastic bay-side club/bar that apparently is the drinking Mecca for millennials, and then driving home again after only sleeping 90 minutes on the hotel balcony. But at some point cigars were consumed. I'm pretty sure I had a couple of Monte #2s, a La Colmena by Warped (my first, fantastic btw) and an Ashton Symmetry. I'm glad that bachelor party is now behind me. I'm too old to be trying to keep up with 28-35 year old crowd.

Unknown, was gifted. But pretty sure it had at least a year on it as typically most fresh CC's aren't as smooth.

Awesome. I have a box, and ROTT it wasn't as enjoyable as I had hoped. I'll give it some nap time before I try again.

Unknown, was gifted. But pretty sure it had at least a year on it as typically most fresh CC's aren't as smooth.
Current production is much more approachable than in the past. They can "typically" be very "smooth" fresh as the change in how they process their tobacco has made it so. The question will be how to they age long term.

They rarely go through that acrid sick period like they did 10 years ago. The fear is that because of the new process in curing they won't age as well as Cubans of the past.

Awesome. I have a box, and ROTT it wasn't as enjoyable as I had hoped. I'll give it some nap time before I try again.
Probably green and or very woodsy. The wood mellows out and green vanishes after some rest. Give them at least 1 year from box date before sampling again.

Current production is much more approachable than in the past. They can "typically" be very "smooth" fresh as the change in how they process their tobacco has made it so. The question will be how to they age long term.

They rarely go through that acrid sick period like they did 10 years ago. The fear is that because of the new process in curing they won't age as well as Cubans of the past.
I know many fresh (2013-2015) cc are vastly improved over previous years production (2008-2013) or so, but I think certain marcas and or vitolas are good fresh and some still need a year from box date to enjoy.

I know many fresh (2013-2015) cc are vastly improved over previous years production (2008-2013) or so, but I think certain marcas and or vitolas are good fresh and some still need a year from box date to enjoy.
Unless I am mistaken the current improvement has nothing tondo with curing or processing of tobacco but more along the production lines of quality. I was just pointing out that your response was very vague and with smooth being somewhat subjective. From my experience the current production Cubans are very smooth and often don't need more than 30-60 days down to accumulate to my environment and will have a harsh taste to me if I do not allow them that time. So often the first one is harsh as I have a hard time letting them sit or taking the first cigar out of the box once I have let them sit. Wife laughs at me for that one. Doesn't mean the flavors don't get more intense or blend with additional age nor does it mean they can't continue to round out the rough edges of they happen to have them.

With one example from a box it is difficult to tell whether it was that one cigar or or whether or it is systemic to the entire batch. It is difficult to dismiss all CC cigars based on one example. In former times (like Napa said) it was a pretty well accepted axiom that a couple of years of aging was required to ward off signs of youth. Many of those cigars emitted one of the sure signs of youth, ammonia. Currently, however, the matrix has changed and in my personal experience no cigar has tasted as if it required a couple of years of box time (that is not to say would not benefit from additional aging) but also no chemical odors were noted and I was actively trying to find them. My experience has been there is still a difference ROTT and a few weeks in the local environment seems to solve that. Just had a two 2014 cigars, a PLPC and a Parti Short received a couple of weeks ago and both were smoking like champs. Had a few 15 BBF's last week which were really good as well Punch Punch's that were good. While I can't say for sure that all CC's need the time in the box the recent examples smoked indicate something has changed from the good ole days.

Which of the marcas and or vitolas do you think need some time before they are ready? For me one of those which benefited from some time was the JL #4. First one's out of the box were nothing special and now they are smoking much better, but those were 2010 vintage. I'm sure there are more recent cigars 14, 15, which would require some time, but my humble, small sampling has not shown that to be the case. Keeping my fingers crossed that continues.:)