• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2023

Well.. long story long...

So, I can't state for a fact what they are, especially the actual Fugazi brand, but here's my understanding from a big industry guy...

For the sake of this post, I'm going to use CI's knockoff Cohiba since that was what he and I discussed. First, as it comes to brands with 2 different origins, do they mean the CC Cohiba, or NC Cohiba? And so there's that for the dual origin sticks, Cohiba, Monte, Partagas, Punch, etc.

Ok, so we know their knockoffs are aiming for the NC versions... but which NC version? Red Dot, Blue, Black, Connie, M, etc? Anyway, they're going for the Red Dot with theirs. Most core NC Cohiba are Dominican.. with the Dot being primarily Dom but with a Cam wrapper.

If I handed someone a CI Cohiba KO, unbanded, and said it was a Red Dot, most would think it was. General Cigar owns NC Cohiba, AND they own CI. You are getting a Cameroon wrapper.. same ones as the real Red Dot. That's where the similarities end pretty much.

The wrapper is a Red Dot reject.. typically for color uniformity issues. Other slight imperfections as well, water or sun spots, thickness, small tears, etc. The binder is almost way outside of the major tobacco-producing countries. But isn't a binder really just a wrapper that didn't make the cut?? Usually.. but it's also a great way to cut cost.. considering it comprises 1/3rd of the cigar components (wrapper, binder, filler).

Speaking of filler, do you know there's no real universal standards or best means and practices when it comes to filler? I believe the Cuban gov dictates, or at least defines, what a cigar's pack is by cut. Meaning, the end product can be a cigar with mostly short and/or chopped primings, BUT it has to be sold as such (but still 100% Cubano of course!).

There's no governing entity or established rules for any of that with NCs. For the KO Red Dot, the filler has about a 1/3rd of actual Dom long leaf.. but even that is low quality for a Big 3 country. The rest is wads of scrap, short fill, and overlap.. from who knows what or where.

With all the weights, pressure, and handling (i.e., a 500kg pilon of leaf fermenting, or vices used for box-pressing, or even just tractor/truck/forklift tires sometimes), you can get "overlap".. this is when chopped or short filler inadvertently overlap and then sort of fuse together by pressure/time and can resemble long leaf at a glance. These are the hot dogs of cigars.

Now again, I hand you a Knockoff RD.. and I tell you it's a RD.. you're gonna taste that Cam wrapper right away and get that familiar Dominican smoothness.. and that's what you think you're smoking. If you start sensing something off or different, you probably chalk it up to a quality issue..

That's a big reason I try to know as little about a cigar as possible when reviewing or trying the first time. I'm figuring with an Opus KO, they'll have to get pretty crafty. I'm also curious what you think. But I'm a guy who could easily pick out 5 other AF sticks I'd rather smoke over an Opus.

How many came in the bundle/mazo of those? If I Venmo you $3.. will you dissect one? Or just send me one to do? I'll pay for it and shipping.. I'm kinda curious to see what they do to try and mimic that Chateau Opus.. or any Opus!
God damn, that's super informative. It was 10/mazo. No need to venmo me or anything, I'll gladly dissect it. It's only $3 after all and I'm now picking up work again after my industry's slow season aha. I've admittedly never dissected a cigar, but I've rolled enough blunts to know how to handle tobacco leaf lmao. If you've had a ton of experience with dissection and are confident you can do it more to your acceptable standard, I'll gladly ship it.

Yeah, I've got a pair of American made Red Wing loggers that I got for about $400 out the door that have survived 5 years of the often intensive and long hours I pull in staging. Love them to death, but they don't make the steel toe version in America anymore and you can tell the difference between the American made and the Vietnamese made ones visually.
Yeah, $600 is a hell of a lot of money, but they're American made by hand with all American materials by a smaller American company out of Spokane. I'll pay the extra fee for making sure my money goes into the hands of actual workers instead of a faceless corporation that takes advantage of those workers.
The really neat thing is, if you can wait up to a potential 35 week lead time, they'll make you an entirely custom pair of boots even if both of your feet are different sizes, exactly how you like.
ETA: These are the boots
An all-American made option for about half the price. I do not have personal experience with them, myself, but do know a few folks who have worn the same pair daily for a few years and swear by them.

Cigar nr. 450 is here. While I have a full breakdown planned for reaching nr. 500. Happy how this one is smoking. The wrapper is very fragile (thin), but it is twice fermented and quite flavorful.

Diamond Crown Natural Torpedo No. 8

InCollage_20230204_111330889.jpg

WRAPPER: USA Connecticut Shade
BINDER: Dominican Republic
FILLER: Dominican Republic

Cigar nr. 450 is here. While I have a full breakdown planned for reaching nr. 500. Happy how this one is smoking. The wrapper is very fragile (thin), but it is twice fermented and quite flavorful.

Diamond Crown Natural Torpedo No. 8

View attachment 65215

WRAPPER: USA Connecticut Shade
BINDER: Dominican Republic
FILLER: Dominican Republic
I discovered those too late in the game, unfortunately, but they are fantastic cigars, for sure!

An all-American made option for about half the price. I do not have personal experience with them, myself, but do know a few folks who have worn the same pair daily for a few years and swear by them.

Those def look pretty solid. I appreciate the cut away view that they give on the Built boot, which illustrates the construction and ties in to what made me go with Nicks. The Youtube channel Rose Anvil made a video where they cut a Nicks in half. Seeing the sheer amount of leather used is what convinced me about where their price point comes from. Worth checking out, though you might be able to find a still shot from that vid online.
I'll def look a bit more into Origin past this.

Yeah, I've got a pair of American made Red Wing loggers that I got for about $400 out the door that have survived 5 years of the often intensive and long hours I pull in staging. Love them to death, but they don't make the steel toe version in America anymore and you can tell the difference between the American made and the Vietnamese made ones visually.
I’m from Red Wing. If you need help sourcing something specific from them in the future, message me.

Those def look pretty solid. I appreciate the cut away view that they give on the Built boot, which illustrates the construction and ties in to what made me go with Nicks. The Youtube channel Rose Anvil made a video where they cut a Nicks in half. Seeing the sheer amount of leather used is what convinced me about where their price point comes from. Worth checking out, though you might be able to find a still shot from that vid online.
I'll def look a bit more into Origin past this.
I've watched several Rose Anvil vids in the past, and they are definitely very interesting. That channel got me interested in the classic Red Wings Iron Ranger boots.

Last couple of days ...

LCC Choshi by AJ Fernandez
View attachment 65226

2018 Don Carlos God of Fire
View attachment 65227

EL Siglo III
View attachment 65228

Well, what'd you think of the AJ?

Our own Katman Phil gave it a 97! @OceanBlvd
That's high praise considering his personal cigar count. I might take a box plunge.. or however they're packaged.

Well, what'd you think of the AJ?

Our own Katman Phil gave it a 97! @OceanBlvd
That's high praise considering his personal cigar count. I might take a box plunge.. or however they're packaged.

It had a real earthy, woody and slightly nutty flavor with plenty of white pepper. Around 1/2 way in, it was a little more creamy with hints of Cinnamon oil. Towards the end, there were some mineral and hazelnut flavors. Overall, I'd give it an 88 to 92 and recommend a fiver.