• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trader Comments

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
There has been some talk about the trader comments and I was hoping to continue that discussion. Gator and I were talking today about how when you're a newbie its reassuring to be able to see that someone you want to trade with has already completed successful trades. I know, I know, it was abused. I'm not voting for restablishing the previous forum. I was hoping to look for alternatives.

If you're a newbie, you want some reassurance that you're not mailing away cigars and getting nothing in return. For example, on Ebay you see reviews for each transaction that a person has made. Some guy has 10% negative feedback and you have something to base your decision on. Granted, this is not what I am proposing but you get the idea.

I guess my question is:
What should a newbie do to figure out whether or not someone is going to trade fairly with them?

Matt made a good suggestion in an earlier post. Basically he said the newbie can PM a FOG and ask about the rep of the proposed tradee. I did this myself a few times when I first started trading here :thumbs:

Ask a few people that have been around. Part of building a good reputation here is by word of mouth. Trades don't really build a lot of credibility. Most of the time, the trade is bargained for at the begining. Your reputation is "built" in the passes you participate. Because that is when there are unkown factors:
1. Will the puts be equal or greater in value?
2. Were the cigars well taken care of?
3. Did the guy or gal get the pass turned around fast?
4. ETC ETC ETC
I see in a lot of profiles people list the people they have traded with. Also which passes they have participated in. This helps a perspective trader or host talk to the people you have made transactions with. Yeah, a little more homework and not as fast. But you talk to people you may not normally talk to. That is my long winded 2 cents.

Emo

I was hoping there was something in this software that would allow for a Trader's Comments section without having a seperate forum. But, either Rod doesn't have time to do it, which is 100% understandable, or it can't be done.

Here's a suggestion and I would even volunteer to spearhead it. I will set up an e-mail account and people can e-mail me with their trading/gifting/passing comments about a particular person. I'll keep that e-mail addy in my signature or profile. Then, once a month I will post a thread in the Lobby with all of these comments, edited if need be to keep the info succint. That thread would be locked immediately or as soon as a moderator could so that no more comments would cloud it. There would also be a bad trader/gifter/passer thread once a month if need be.
One thing to keep in mind with this would be that I WILL NOT be answering the e-mails, except maybe with an acknowledment so that you know I got it.

Something to think about..... LMK

I agree with lucasbuck and emo. Sending PMs to members they have traded with would work as long as people actually update their profiles every once in a while. I'm not opposed to "doing a little homework" before trading or passing with someone. If something like what Ric and Matt mentioned could work that would be even better but I guess reality is it probably won't.

Matt, you're a hell of a guy for volunteering to take on that responsibility. Good idea :thumbs:

My idea (from my other thread)...

How about a forum that you have to be "approved" before you can start topics in it (but any member can respond to). The downside here is that the moderators would have extra work in terms of granting people access, and making the judgment call on whom to grant access to start topics.

Most web boards support this rather easily; it might be a possible solution. Don't grant anyone access until they've been here for a certain amount of time, and have a certain amount of posts.

In this forum. which would be the bombs/trader comments combined, people could post about impending bombs/trades, comments on the people they traded with, etc. Seems it would be a fairly low maintenance way to have new users out of the sandbox until they showed they were here to participate, not to leach or scam.

Since you can't start a topic unless you're approved for posting there, it would solve the problem of newbies sending out a few trades and posting about 'em.

Adding to Moki's idea.....

If we went with moki's idea we could also limit each member to one thread (kind of like the "wishlists"). This way it would be easy to see what a particular member has done, you would just look for the ONE thread that is about them. Of course anyone could post replies to these threads as long it was for that particular member. I think this would eliminate the massive amount of frivolous threads and make things much more organized.

just my two cents

I assume this is a place to give an oppinion?

I do not think that a person bombing another person is something for the public forum. The secret bomb with a thank you in PM is great. However, a Bombing RUN, which you can see here In the Cigar Discussion room is a lot of fun to follow alog with. THIS was Managements original intended purpose for the Forum that was unfortunately abused in the aforementioned manner.

I will not denie that Trader Comments are a good thing, but if all anybody puts in them is Great Stuff, then they are of little use unless the person in the reviews is a Great Trader.

I would like to see Trader Comments attached to our profiles. So if you propose a trade, the other trader simply hits the button for your profile and clicks on Trader Comments and will see a cronological accounting created by others who you traded with.

But that would not be a place for people to put that you Bombed the Crap out of em. That way a person can actually get an idea of what kind of trader you are, not how generous you are. If you are a generous person who just bombs people for the hell of it, everyone will know in other ways. Besides, if a person seeks to trade ONLY with people who load up the Bonuses, then they must not be all that interested in a fair trade, right?

All the above is simply MHO, and it ain't worth $0.02 but there it is

There doesn't need to be an adda boy forum...period!

Rod has already said that this software does not support being able to attach a comment file to an individual. We already know what will happen if another forum is set up. While the "members only" forum sounds like a great idea, how many people do you think are going to be pissed off when they are not invited to be members? Suggesting to allow everyone access would be no different than setting up another forum. Can't use the number of post as a guide. Its already been proved that a new person can have 1,000's of post to his credit in a few short months. Can't use time on the site either since we have plenty people that have been here for a long time and IMO, are not trustworthy. Thats not to say these individuals are not honest. Just I wouldn't enter into any transactions with them. See the problems?

There is enough information about people through out the board and chat rooms to pretty well size up people. I would never enter into a major purchase with an unknown. Its also perfectly acceptable to ask a new person to send their end first but if one is so concerned that something is amis...... don't do the deal!

And...........................

There's no short cuts for a new person to establishing himself! You are judged on your actions, not how much you promote them.

Allofus123 said:
Rod has already said that this software does not support being able to attach a comment file to an individual.
Sorry I missed that post, nevermind what I said then

There doesn't need to be an adda boy forum...period!

Agreed!

Welp, there goes my idea, but it would have been nice ???

How 'bout this. I will be willing to help too. Maybe Matt and I can help out jointly. I would be willing to write a database and a data access page that is available from the web. When someone has a good experience, I would get a PM or email and add a "Positive" to that persons record... or "negative" when applicable. There would be very little if any notes about the person. It would be a good idea for people to put a link to the database in their profile.

-------------

It may look something like this:

CP_User Positive = 3 Negative = 0 Neutral = 1

This person has had no complaints but one person got cigars that were dried out and some of the wrappers were torn. Etc. Etc.

------------

We may could put like/dislikes, and a wishlist on it if it was desirable.

Also, it may not be a bad idea to charge people one cigar for posting Positive comments but have no charge for negative comments. Maybe this would keep down on everyone blowing sunshine up everyones pants leg just to be friendly.

Forgot. The list probably should be anonymous. However, there needs to be checks and balances so that negative comments aren't added because someone is pissed off in general.

SD_Stack said:
However, there needs to be checks and balances so that negative comments aren't added because someone is pissed off in general.
Which is why you couldn't make it Anonymous. Anyone having something negative about someone has to be able to back it up to the masses.

Allofus123 said:
SD_Stack said:
However, there needs to be checks and balances so that negative comments aren't added because someone is pissed off in general.
Which is why you couldn't make it Anonymous. Anyone having something negative about someone has to be able to back it up to the masses.
Point taken Kenny. :thumbs:

If any type of feedback system is put into place, I think that an Ebay type system would work the best. I do not think it should be anonymous though because I would put more weight on a FOG’s comment then on my own.

I suppose you could possibly set up some type of “review” process where by if negative comments are left, someone could deny them and possibly have them removed. But I think that might be more work then it is worth.

Also, just like Ebay, you have to take the whole picture into account. If a seller on Ebay has 500 comments and 1 of them is negative, I think I would still buy from that person. But if they have 50 comments and the last 5 are negative, I would probably think harder about it. With the Ebay style feedback rating system, you can get a larger picture of a persons history and judge for yourself if you want to deal with them.

I could possibly set up a site like this for CP members only, but I would only do it if it were accepted and going to be used. I would also have to make sure that I would have the time first (which I really don't have much of these days ??? )

On the flip side, one could make the argument that if someone is trust worthy, you will know based on how they have performed in passes as well as being able to ask other members they have dealt with. (actually, I think that point has already been made :lookup: ) thus elimenating the need for any feedback system.

Allofus123 said:
Its already been proved that a new person can have 1,000's of post to his credit in a few short months.
Hey I resemble that remark :angry: I worked hard trying to think of something worthy to post :D

Not to toot my own horn, but I think the idea of one thread a month, with each member who had a comment e-mailed to the account, categorized into: trade, pass, gift/misc. and good or bad, would be a quick and easy (for everyone else, maybe hell for me :)) fix to this situation. The threads could be sticky noted until the next months thread and over and over. Then, as we get to four or five months worth of threads, a new forum could be set up that has nothing but the locked threads in it. For informational purposes only. We could also have some sort of rating system to go along with it, say 1 for very satisfied, 2 for satisfied, 3 for not satisfied and 4 for very disappointed. I don't think we can do it anonymously though, as people will still be wondering why a comment was made, good or bad.