• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Two questions for the Minneapolis crew

rbbrock

1. If you were a dashing, young attorney from Iowa, had been set up with a lovely flight attendant from Utah* with whom you had spoken frequently but not yet met, were in Minneapolis for the weekend, and were taking this lady out Friday evening, but neither of you were terribly familiar with Minneapolis, what might you do?

*Yes, the singles scene in NW Iowa is so dim that we've begun importing them! :laugh:

2. If you were not a dashing, young attorney from Iowa, would you like to meet one Saturday afternoon or evening for a smoke?

Thanks, guys.

A flight attendant!!! Run and hide, I know, I married one!!! :laugh:

If you don't take my advice, do NOT call her a stewardess, you will have a long weekend!

Rich

If you don't take my advice, do NOT call her a stewardess, you will have a long weekend!

I reasoned that one out for myself. I even managed to do so before actually having committed the offense! :laugh:

Edited for clarity.

I have a call in to one of the Twin Cities food critics. I'll get back to you with some ideas later. Any food restrictions that I should be aware of?

- Tim

Edited to add: And I'm sure we can twist a few arms and arrange a time to meet for a smoke. Hell, I'll want to hear how things went :whistling:

Hot date Minneapolis. No problem. Don't listen to the other guys, they wouldn't understand the hot date part. Just give me some more details. Minneapolis wasn't twice voted 'Most Fun City' in the United States for nothing. There's a lot going on here. Let me know what you want to spend, what the rest of the night might look like for you, whatever you can tell me. Go to pm if you don't want to post the nasty good stuff.

Alright, here is a selection of places from the Food Critic of City Pages with some comments of my own:

112 Eatery - Great food, great vibe, see if you can get seated upstairs as it's a bit quieter.

Barbette - another cool place located in Uptown Minneapolis which is sort of the hip, cool place - like downtown NYC but obviously much smaller :)

Cafe Levain - I've never been but I've heard great things and read strong reviews.

Cafe Maude - This place has gotten rave reviews but it is sort of a community joint that is well out of downtown so there is really nothing around it.

Broders Pasta Bar - great vibe and food but again, well out of the downtown area so if you were planning on walking to a bar or something afterward there isn't much there.

And here are some ideas from me:

Heidi's - Fantastic food made in a tiny kitchen by a guy who really loves food. It can get loud but it is a lot of fun.

Cafe Lurcat is in a really cool space and has great food as well.

I'd get yelled at if I didn't offer up Nye's Polonaise, a Minneapolis Institution. (I added the website just for their info.) It is a 50's Tiki-style bar with supper club type food, a piano bar, and Polka dancing downstairs. Words cannot do it justice - it must be experienced. It isn't on par foodwise with the rest here (not that it's terrible or anything) but the overall experience more than balances that out. If you're both up for some serious kitsch, go for it.

And finally, Manny's This is a traditional steak joint with massive portions (and bills). I've been to steak joints from coast to coast and north to south and this is, IMNSHO, one of the very best. I've eaten in the main room in a business suit and in the bar in a jeans , a t-shirt, and a motorcyle jacket. As a long-time waiter there told me years ago - "We don't care how your dressed as long as you come with an appetite and money!" Gotta love it. Having said all of this, a massive meal of beef may not be your ideal for a first date but I thought I'd add it in anyway.

You can check out reviews of most of these joints on City Pages and see if anything in that list grabs you. We can shoot for a cigar on Saturday afternoon or evening at The Golden Leaf in Uptown Minneapolis.

Good luck,

- Tim

There are a few good places for taking dates. They'll cost you some $$$, though. The Melting Pot is an excellent date spot. Manny's is one of the premier steak joints in town. Another neat place is Fogo de Chou. I'll have to rely on somebody younger to tell you the hot club spot in town, but there is plenty to choose from in downtown MPLS.

Wow. You brought Big Slim out. There should have been a contest for that. :laugh:

Here's what I would do bro. I would take her to the 112 Eatery. The 112 has great food, it's cozy, it will run you between $50 and $100. Here's a link:

112 Eatery

BTW, if you want further advice on going out afterwards, drop me a pm. I will, in fact, party until I die; so I've got both cities down fairly well. It's so much fun here man... Seriously, if people really knew.

edit to add: Wow again. Tim and I agreed on something. We're not the couple that argues, but to actually agree... It's fate, go to the 112.

Drop us a line about the HERF. I'll try to make it.

Cafe Lucrat I think has the ambiance you are looking for to make a very good impression.

Manny's is for you to invite us Minneapolis folks to hear all about your date before we go to Golden Leaf! :)

Good luck and have fun!

Big Slim, How the heck are you! I miss you, bro!

Best,

Joe

Well thanks for all the suggestions guys, this is most helpful. 112 does look pretty good, and since it's apparently been decreed as fate that I go there...

Now, what's happening around town after dinner? PM incoming, Mick.

Well thanks for all the suggestions guys, this is most helpful. 112 does look pretty good, and since it's apparently been decreed as fate that I go there...

Now, what's happening around town after dinner? PM incoming, Mick.

I'm not sure you want any part of the type of clubs and bars that Mick frequents. :laugh:

You wont go wrong going to 112 Eatery. I am sure Mick will have many wonderful ideas on where to party after, but just to be safe you may want to in advance pick a "safe word" for yourself and your lady just in case he sends you to one of his regular haunts. Have a blast while you are up here, and if its possible I will join folks at Golden Leaf for a good cigar as well.

Joe G

LMAO, you guys have me worried about Mick's advice now! ??? Do I need to have the rest of you vet his suggestions before I make up my mind? :laugh:

LMAO, you guys have me worried about Mick's advice now! ??? Do I need to have the rest of you vet his suggestions before I make up my mind? :laugh:

Do you own assless chaps, and a studded dog collar? :laugh:

Do you own assless chaps, and a studded dog collar? :laugh:

No, but I know where I can get my hands on some. :laugh:

Edit: Wow. "Get my hands on some." That really brings an image to mind, doesn't it!

Keep in mind....These guys are not exactly the foremost experts on romance, but 112 Eatery is great. Here is a couple of suggestions that i have not seen above.

Capital Grill

Seven Steakhouse & Sushi

MAKE A RESERVATION. Lots of great restaurants...not a lot of open tables..