• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Updated Pics of the Crop!

Outstanding. What kind of cigars are you going to roll ? Toros, Churchills, Robustos, Maybe a Perfecto ? Mild , Med, or full.

They won't be ready until the end of August.

Ocat,
I would have to say yes to all of those choices!!!!!!

Brian, I too am growing my own. I haven't posted on here in months. But, my last posts dealt with me discussing with people I was planning on learning to roll my own cigars and produce pipe tobacco. Right now, I only have 7 plants, but hopefully next season I can get 50+ going like yourself. When you and I get ours rolled, I'd love to make an exchange.

DSCF0568.jpg

DSCF0576.jpg

DSCF0577.jpg

Sounds good Coinguy89. Your plants look good and healthy. What varieties did you plant?

Greg,
Looking good!!!! Start to use a little Miracle Grow probably 2 times a week, and watch that baby take off!!!!!!

Greg,

How many plants do you have growing? Also did you figure out what the fuzzy stuff was on those other plants? I'm not for sure but I don't think it was mold. I'll try to find out for you. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!

I've only got about twelve plants growing, some are still quite small. That fuzz was just that....fuzz. :D My camera takes really fine photos so picked up all the tiny "hairs" on the leaf. Actually, they weren't all that tiny, things were very fuzzy.

Is that the same fertilizer for tomatos, since they're both in the nightshade family?

My varieties include:

Red Russian
Florida Sumatra
Connecticutt Shade

Yes, you can use the Miracle Grow for tomatos or the general purpose would also work well. Keep a close look out for leaf eaters, they appear quickly and can ruin a plant in very short order. Where did you pick up your seeds??

New Hope Seed Co. is where I originally picked up my Connecticut Broadleaf. All the rest I purchased from seedman.com. They also have free plans on how to build a kiln to ferment your tobacco in. Plus several books and videos about growing, curing, fermenting, and rolling your own cigars.

Hey Greg, those tomato plants look really good!! Are your tobacco plants in sand? If so I think they are having trouble extracting the nutrients from the sand. Try either giving them some miracle grow every night, or place some dry miracle grow around the base of each plant, water at least every other night. Maybe take one of those plants and transplanting into a pot the size that you have your tomato plants in, using a good quality potting soil.

Hey Greg, those tomato plants look really good!! Are your tobacco plants in sand? If so I think they are having trouble extracting the nutrients from the sand. Try either giving them some miracle grow every night, or place some dry miracle grow around the base of each plant, water at least every other night. Maybe take one of those plants and transplanting into a pot the size that you have your tomato plants in, using a good quality potting soil.

Nope, not sand. Good 'ol South Carolina black dirt. I actually took some of the dirt out the adjoining field that was full of fertilizers and such, and also have miracle grow sticks stuck in all around the plants. They're growing pretty well considering. :D

Maybe a little calcium too. Is that bottom end rot I see on a couple of those in the first tomato photo? Probably not but might want to check it out.

Wilkey