• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Updated Pics of the Crop!

First off, I think it's awesome what you guys are doing! Secondly, I have a cigar living room motif in my apartment and was wondering how a plant might grow with adequate sun inside. Seems like everytime I put a plant out in this Mississippi heat it get scorched in one day. I just think it would be sweet to have some tobacco plants around the apartment instead of some ferns.

Good work, Brian. I am closely watching how our Ohio ground grows your fine tobacco!

chefchris,

I believe that they would grow fine in your apartment. Just use a large planter atleast 12 maybe 16 inches in diameter. You would need to use miracle grow atleast weekly, tobacco requires alot of nutrients. Shoot me a pm with your name and address and I'll get you some seeds in the mail.

I'm going to have to take some new pics. I think my largest are at the 2 foot mark and the smallest is over a 1 foot tall. As too what's what I have no idea any more. Had a rough start and lost track of what was what. I think I have about 4 kinds growing and about 2 or 3 of each. They all look the same to me. Try to remember to take some pics.

DG

Diesel,
Just consider this as a learning year. You can move into full production mode next year!!!!

Check out this leaf!

0730081655a.jpg

Me in the tobacco patch

0730081654a.jpg

Ready to be topped (remove the blooms).

0730081654.jpg

Man that is awesome! Puts mine to shame! That one leaf is bigger than my whole plant! lol But, I'm proud 'o my little 6" leaves! :laugh: I dunno how many have actually got to feel a tobacco leaf growing, however they're really thick/heavy...feel almost like skin. Very cool! Thanks for the pics B!

It's cool that you keep updating this thread with pictures, thanks. Is it possible to keep it up? Like through the harvesting, fermenting and to your final product, that would be really cool to see.

Here's a pic of a sucker. These need to be removed or they will rob the main leaves of the nutrients.

0731082033.jpg

I topped some of the plants last night. Some aren't ready yet. More pics to come!!!!!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the progress. Kind of reminds me of the field of corn I pass every morning. I tell ya, it seems like they grow a few inches a day.

As requested Brian, I got some pics of my Father's mini crop - but he's already turned it into ready-to-be-rolled tobacco! :)

Here's his humidor with the last of the crop.

dad1.jpg

dad2.jpg

He stuck one in a roll-up for me - tasted lovely, very creamy like a café creme or like those Havana minis you get - which I'm quite fond of.

Not an amazing amount or anything, but not bad for terrible British weather in a paved-over terrace house down south!

Couple more pics. Lookin' good! :D

08-09-08Imported030.jpg

08-09-08Imported031.jpg

This was one nassy critter on the back porch this morning. Gimme the heeby jeebys!

08-09-08Imported028.jpg

But, I thougt this one was kinda cute... ??? Sorry for the semi-blurry pic, it started "bouncing" when I got close...

08-09-08Imported004.jpg

They're getting bigger Greg. Keep up the good work. That first spider looks mean!!! I took a pic of a spider last month in the garage. I'll post it tomorrow if I can find it.

I topped most of my crop today. A few are still not ready. I'll post some pics of the crop tomorrow as well.

They're getting bigger Greg. Keep up the good work. That first spider looks mean!!! I took a pic of a spider last month in the garage. I'll post it tomorrow if I can find it.

I topped most of my crop today. A few are still not ready. I'll post some pics of the crop tomorrow as well.

Brian, your project is most impressive!! Keep the pictures flowing bro!! I love seeing them!

-Aaron

Couple more pics...

08-12-08Imported051.jpg

08-12-08Imported052.jpg

So this lady that I work with (actually in the office next to mine), has a brother who grows tobacco (cigarette). I tell her I smoke cigars and the next thing I know she brings me this bag full of....tobacco! Man this is some very strong, very sweet smelling stuff!! I actually light a small piece of it just out of curiosity and yep, cigarette smoke! Guess I need to go get me some rollin' papers. :D

08-12-08Imported041.jpg

08-12-08Imported042.jpg

08-12-08Imported043.jpg

Greg,
Be careful about smoking the tobacco without fermenting it. I'm not sure about burley (cigarette) tobacco, but smoking cigar tobacco without fermenting can be LETHAL! It contains an extremely high level of both nicotine and amonia. The fermentation process releases the excess nicotine and amonia.

Greg,
Be careful about smoking the tobacco without fermenting it. I'm not sure about burley (cigarette) tobacco, but smoking cigar tobacco without fermenting can be LETHAL! It contains an extremely high level of both nicotine and amonia. The fermentation process releases the excess nicotine and amonia.

So THAT'S what's wrong with me... :laugh:

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure the tobacco she brought me is ready to smoke, however I'm not gonna smoke it anyways. It's more of a novelty for me. I may shove all of it in an empty box and stick it down in one of the humis, however I have no idea if aging cigarette tobacco does anything. I'll ask when I get back to the office tomorrow if she knows anything about the actually smoking of this stuff.

A few of the plants have flowers now. At what point do I harvest the leafs? Where is that link to all the next steps?

DG

Diesel,
Yuo can start harvesting the leaves any time you want now. I usually wait until they bloom, then break off the blooms and let them go another couple of weeks. The leaves should really grow in this period. But you can start your harvest as you have time. Be sure you get them all done before it frosts or the plant will turn black from "frost bite". If you go to seedman.com he sells several books and DVDs that cover all aspects of raising your own tobacco.

Brian,

That is very cool that you are growing your own crop. I could only imagine trying to grow the crop and trying to make my own cigars.

That would be very interesting tihng to try.