• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

V-Cut, Punch, Guillotine, Scissor Cut? What do you use?

dcpeters

What type of cutter do you like best? Which works best with cigars?

Guillotine, V-Cut, Punch, Scissor?

I currently use a v-cut because I like how the smoke draws out of it, it's a small, quick cut, and it doesn't ruin the cap/head. Some of the cheaper made cigars I have start to fall apart when I cut off the head using a full cut with a guillotine. I have no experience with a punch cutter. What do you like best and why?

I am back and forth between Guillotine and punch

Guillotine on 50+ rg, punch on smaller, and just pull off pigtail on lanceros.

I use Xikar scissors. Not only does it give a nice cut, but I also have several other useful tools.

I don't have a strong preference. I tend to cut more than anything. If I'm on the golf course I will try and punch but it's not an absolute requirement. My experience with v-cutters is that as they dull out they start to rip the cap, Although Xikar does make an amazing v-cutter.

I have a straight cutter for most, I punch my 2000 and Lanceros but I'm thinking about getting a V-cutter.

I have a guillotine but I'm on the hunt for nice punch to try this year.

I primarily use a guillotine but prefer a V cut on a smaller ring gauge.

I prefer a punch but the largest size on my punch is dull so I've been using a guillotine for several months. I would also use a guillotine after punching if the draw was too tight. I've never tried a V-cutter but I would probably like that too.

If your having problems with the cigar unraveling you are probably cutting too much off. There should still be some of the rings of the cap remaining after you cut it. You can see several of the spiral rings of the cap on this punched cigar.

PunchedCap_zpsed9d83b2.jpg

I usually start out with a punch, then if needed go to a cutter. I have a V-cutter, and do use it too though.

I will alternate all 3, sometimes depending on my mood. Like some others, if I get a tight draw after a punch, I'll give it a straight cut. Rarely had a problem with v-cut. As you well know, shape of cigar also dictates straight cut: torpedo, pyramid, perfecto, belicoso etc.

I exclusively use a punch, except on belicoso's then I use a guillotine. But I dont smoke very many belicoso's.

And I like safe smoking, I leave the cello on either. Better safe than sorry :D

I usually punch anything that is punchable but sometimes have to use a guillotine in the last third if it tightens up too much. I bought a Cuban crafters guillotine recently and love it.

I use a guillotine or Xikar scissors as my first choice, but I recently picked up the Xikar V-cut and I'm pretty impressed by how much it still allows for a good draw. I hardly use my punches anymore, I change my preferences in a cyclical manner.

Y'all gonna hate on me, but I keep my knives very sharp, and I've gotten good at using a knife to carve the top off like a guillotine without splitting the cap like a dull/cheap guillotine likes to do.