• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

V-Cut, Punch, Guillotine, Scissor Cut? What do you use?

Totally depends on the cigar and then it might depend on what I have, or have the patience to get out, like while I'm in the car.
Most cigars, a Palio or a Xikar Guillotine. Some cigars I actually prefer a punch. 

If all I have is my punch on my keys, and I want a bigger cut, I'll cut like two or four holes in the head, either a clover leaf, or just keep cutting around the edge of
the first hole making it a larger diameter.

Always have a sharp knife in my pocket, so that is sometimes used.

All else fails, I just moisten the tip, and use my fingernail to rip off the cap.

ironpeddler said:

My wicked sharp pocket knife.

What happened to the Havana Cutter? Just lost the last one from my case and am heartbroken. For a cheap cutter they were awesome!

Havana Cutter!...slowly I crept...step by step....

Agreed!, they were the best single blade cutter I ever saw....cut better than most double blade cutters too. I lost my last two at the QSH. Anthony, next time you see LOS, check his pockets.

Will do, is there a finders fee?

tone-ny said:

My wicked sharp pocket knife.
<br /> <br /> <br />What happened to the Havana Cutter? Just lost the last one from my case and am heartbroken. For a cheap cutter they were awesome!<br /> 
<br /> <br />Havana Cutter!...slowly I crept...step by step....<br /> <br /> <br />Agreed!, they were the best single blade cutter I ever saw....cut better than most double blade cutters too. I lost my last two at the QSH. Anthony, next time you see LOS, check his pockets.<br /> <br />Will do, is there a finders fee?<br /><br />Finder's fee = 1 bottle of turtle dick!<br /><br />Good luck though, Gary was drinking with Tom, they could be anywhere, :)
P.S. I'd ask Isy.

Does anyone own one of the Zino's? The guillotine cutter? Not one of the $300.00 davidoff's, but the lower end ones? $40.00-$60.00 is the price range I have found?

Thanks-

Bigbrown

Bigbrown said:
Does anyone own one of the Zino's? The guillotine cutter? Not one of the $300.00 davidoff's, but the lower end ones? $40.00-$60.00 is the price range I have found?

Thanks-

Bigbrown
I had one of the Zino's not worth the money for the same you can get a Palio which you'll enjoy. You stationed at Lackland?

tone-ny said:

Thanks-

Bigbrown
I had one of the Zino's not worth the money for the same you can get a Palio which you'll enjoy. You stationed at Lackland?

Yes sir, Lackland...Thanks for the advice too. I just bought one of the zino's off of someone for $13.00.....not out much. Say's it was not used, but was a gift. It looks brand new. I will try it tonight and see.

For 13 bucks you can't go wrong. Good friend of mine was BMTS Superintendent from 200-2004.

That wouldn't be Retired CMSgt Billy B would it? I knew him well....The pic of me in my avatar is from May 2002....

Bigbrown said:
That wouldn't be Retired CMSgt Billy B would it? I knew him well....The pic of me in my avatar is from May 2002....
Yes it would be. Thank you for your service.

I used my Palio for the longest time until the owner of the B & M introduced me to the v-cut. I haven't looked back since. I keep one in my car for those long trip. Gives me the right draw no matter what size gauge I'm smoking.

I haven't used a V cut in 30 years, and only did when I had the Tobacconist clip my cigars. Now I'm curious to try it with all the years experience behind me.

MadMonk said:
I haven't used a V cut in 30 years, and only did when I had the Tobacconist clip my cigars. Now I'm curious to try it with all the years experience behind me.
Good idea to give it a shot.

It took me a bit with the V-cutter to learn how to use it will smaller ring gauges. I just push a petite corona over to one side of the indent, and it will make an appropriate size cut.

Except for torpedoes, perfectos, etc. the V-cutter about all I use anymore.

Have been planning on pulling the xikar X-8 back out to try a dick cut, but need to figure out when that cut is best used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vkKt7fGdt4

personal User said:

It took me a bit with the V-cutter to learn how to use it will smaller ring gauges. I just push a petite corona over to one side of the indent, and it will make an appropriate size cut.

I use one of these to accommodate the different ring gauges on the V-cut. I think that I picked it up for around $70 bucks about three years ago and love it.

IMG_1778_zps948cef26.jpg

personal User said:

Have been planning on pulling the xikar X-8 back out to try a dick cut, but need to figure out when that cut is best used.

I use this cut quite often with Belicoso/Torpedo's, Perfecto and Pyramid cigars. I've read that it suppose to deliver the smoke to the back of your mouth and make the cigars taste better. To be honest, I really can't taste the difference and it has just become a habit to cut them that way and continue to do so. Maybe there is some merit to the reason behind the Dickman cut - I don't know.

I usually punch or use a straight cut. As long as there is something around with a good blade on it I'm happy. Every once in a while I'll use a V-cut, I find myself v-cutting torps for some reason. Not sure why, I think it just became a habit after a few times.

I thought the Shuriken cutter was a neat idea because it was a different approach to cutting a cigar. After a few uses and issues with tar building up I quickly gave up on it. Cool idea, poor execution. Does anyone use one/have success with them? I have customers that still love it and I don't know why.

My understanding of cutting a torpedo at an angle is that if you pay attention to the layers on the head, and carefully cut, you get a larger surface area draw hole than just a straight cut. I do not do it unless the cigar is tight, and a few other tricks, like another cut, or biting the end to loosen the leaves. My whole understanding is that the smaller hole was, by design, to concentrate the smoke. If it leads to tar buildup, I snip again.

MadMonk said:

:laugh: ...exactly Dan! That's what I used for the churchills for longer than I can remember. Mine was an old Colibri that cut perfectly for many years, now I have the new Xikar and I find myself using that more and more every day...especially the cross cut.....

image_zps3409842a.jpg