• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

V-Cut, Punch, Guillotine, Scissor Cut? What do you use?

Y'all gonna hate on me, but I keep my knives very sharp, and I've gotten good at using a knife to carve the top off like a guillotine without splitting the cap like a dull/cheap guillotine likes to do.
You may be surprised how sharp those "dull/cheap" cutters are if they get cleaned once in a while. I have a box of alcohol wipes that I use every couple of weeks. Even a Xikar / Palio will seem dull if it gets coated with tobacco oils.

You guys might also try searching.....this has been answered a couple thousand times over the years.....

Y'all gonna hate on me, but I keep my knives very sharp, and I've gotten good at using a knife to carve the top off like a guillotine without splitting the cap like a dull/cheap guillotine likes to do.
You may be surprised how sharp those "dull/cheap" cutters are if they get cleaned once in a while. I have a box of alcohol wipes that I use every couple of weeks. Even a Xikar / Palio will seem dull if it gets coated with tobacco oils.

You guys might also try searching.....this has been answered a couple thousand times over the years.....

Cool. Thanks for the tip!

I'll let my buddy with the Xikar know.

I currently use a v-cut because I like how the smoke draws out of it, it's a small, quick cut, and it doesn't ruin the cap/head. Some of the cheaper made cigars I have start to fall apart when I cut off the head using a full cut with a guillotine. I have no experience with a punch cutter. What do you like best and why?

This is the portion I honed in on. You might be cutting them too far past the cap. Fwiw, you don't need to cut more than say, half a centimeter off. Back when I first started this hobby, a great man and good friend Brian (Infinity) showed me how to properly cut a cigar with a guillotine cutter. For a beginner or to get a better idea of what I'm talking about, place your cutter on the top of the cigar, flip it over until the cigar head rests on whatever surface you've placed below it and with the cutter resting on the table, gently apply pressure to the guillotine cutter and rotate the cigar. What *should* happen is that you will shear off just the cap of the cigar, a very small piece.

Remember, the deeper you cut, you have more chances of unraveling your smoke from cutting too far down.

To answer your question, I use my Palio cutter regularly but sometimes I branch off onto using my Opus X V Cutter. Works like a charm. ;) Hope this helps.

If I don't use a v-cutter, I use the "circumcision" cut Jon mentions. Works well with cheap or dull cutters, too.

I pinch with my fingernails. I figure if it good enough for Jorge Padron, it is good enough for me.

I currently use a v-cut because I like how the smoke draws out of it, it's a small, quick cut, and it doesn't ruin the cap/head. Some of the cheaper made cigars I have start to fall apart when I cut off the head using a full cut with a guillotine. I have no experience with a punch cutter. What do you like best and why?

This is the portion I honed in on. You might be cutting them too far past the cap. Fwiw, you don't need to cut more than say, half a centimeter off. Back when I first started this hobby, a great man and good friend Brian (Infinity) showed me how to properly cut a cigar with a guillotine cutter. For a beginner or to get a better idea of what I'm talking about, place your cutter on the top of the cigar, flip it over until the cigar head rests on whatever surface you've placed below it and with the cutter resting on the table, gently apply pressure to the guillotine cutter and rotate the cigar. What *should* happen is that you will shear off just the cap of the cigar, a very small piece.

Remember, the deeper you cut, you have more chances of unraveling your smoke from cutting too far down.

To answer your question, I use my Palio cutter regularly but sometimes I branch off onto using my Opus X V Cutter. Works like a charm. ;) Hope this helps.

Thanks! I was researching some youtube videos for lighting methods and I noticed how the guy cut his. I WAS cutting them way too far down. Tried it like I saw it, perfect cut!

Personally I am a straight guillotine cutter myself. I just don't like the cats eye and I get to much tar build up from a punch. I stick with my xikar, Palio and I also love the scissors on my multi tool and I also have a great Swiss Army knife that has one of the sharpest scissors I've ever used. It's all personal preference though so I would give them all s go. I just like the draw on the straight cut....the more smoke the better!!!

Guillotine is my preference purchase an Xikar keep it clean and your set for life

I send out my cigars to be cut professionally, while the cello is still on. I also have them add the plume for the full smoking pleasure. YMMV

I send out my cigars to be cut professionally, while the cello is still on. I also have them add the plume for the full smoking pleasure. YMMV

Where do you send yours Anthony? I'd like to ship a few out to have plume added so I can resell them with a substantial "age" markup.

Where do you send yours Anthony? I'd like to ship a few out to have plume added so I can resell them with a substantial "age" markup.

Well there you go, wanting to ask for a source and then make a profit on us Cpers!

Well there you go, wanting to ask for a source and then make a profit on us Cpers!

I was going to sell them on ICC as OR Anejos once I shellacked the cello.

I was going to sell them on ICC as OR Anejos once I shellacked the cello.

Well that makes a lot of sense! Make sure you bake the cello with a light coating of shellac :thumbs:

I've used the search function to no real satisfaction on this, but what's the opinion on different cut sizes for different ring gauges? Would you cut a panetela differently than say a gorda? I understand leaving some of the cap edge so it doesn't unwrap, but I would be inclined to cut more of a panetela cap off to increase the draw.

I've got a Cohiba panetela I'm planning to burn after work, looking for opinions.

Using a Cuban Crafters guillotine, the stainless steel double blade kind like this http://www.cubancrafters.com/cuban-crafters-cigar-cutters-stainless-steel-self-sharpening-double-blade-o-design-handle-antique-style-cutter/

Serotiny said:
I've used the search function to no real satisfaction on this, but what's the opinion on different cut sizes for different ring gauges? Would you cut a panetela differently than say a gorda? I understand leaving some of the cap edge so it doesn't unwrap, but I would be inclined to cut more of a panetela cap off to increase the draw.

I've got a Cohiba panetela I'm planning to burn after work, looking for opinions.

Using a Cuban Crafters guillotine, the stainless steel double blade kind like this http://www.cubancrafters.com/cuban-crafters-cigar-cutters-stainless-steel-self-sharpening-double-blade-o-design-handle-antique-style-cutter/

Do an angled cut to increase the surface area of the draw.