• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

VSG's gone flat?

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
I used to love these but coincidently every since the band change I have really lost my taste for them. I have smoked Illusions, Enchantments, Sorcerers, Tres Mystique and Wizards and aside from one of the Wizards they have all been either harsh or flat. I am bumming! Tell me its just me?!?

I used to love these but coincidently every since the band change I have really lost my taste for them. I have smoked Illusions, Enchantments, Sorcerers, Tres Mystique and Wizards and aside from one of the Wizards they have all been either harsh or flat. I am bumming! Tell me its just me?!?

I hope not, they're one of my favorites. When did the band change?

Information on the VSG band change can be found here. The blend itself did not change at all, Ashton is just better differentiating their cigar branding.

As for VSGs being "flat", age 'em a bit. I have smoked some 10 year old VSGs that are not by any means flat, so the tobacco can certainly stand up to the age.

People are willing to wait a very long time for premium Cuban cigars to come into their own; it makes sense to do the same for any premium cigars, depending on your tastes.

Thanks for the info Moki. I haven't had a bad one yet. I can't seem to leave them alone long enough to age.

Rumor is.....they have been sold to Garcia Vega!

The good news? Swisher Sweets have really picked up lately and I just bought a ton of them! Wanna trade?

All seriousness aside though.......if you have truly lost your taste for them maybe we can make a trade!

Well I am glad to hear that it seems to be just me. I am smoking a Corona Gorda now and so far so good. Lately I have been in the habit of smoking too quickly. These seem to not respond well to hot boxing so perhaps slowing it down will open these puppies up a bit.

Actually I had the same thing happen to me and a buddy. I gave him 2 VSG's to hold on to in his humidor. After doing some home improvement one weekend about three months later we decide to smoke them. They definately were a lot more mellow, his humidor was a bit on the high side as far as humidity, but the cigars felt good. Not spongy nor did they crackle, they felt fine. But they did definately taste flat compared to the ones I've had in the past. The ones we smoked did have the old band but I do not know when they were made.

Jonas...............Say it's not so. I've never had a bad VSG. Maybe your'e just going through a period where you need to lay off of them for awhile. Or, just like Moki said, let them sleep for awhile.

Jonas...............Say it's not so. I've never had a bad VSG. Maybe your'e just going through a period where you need to lay off of them for awhile. Or, just like Moki said, let them sleep for awhile.

Funny - the last couple a' three I've had (from newer stock) have been flat. I think something with the tobacco has changed. It may be a similar crop...but not what I've been used to from the VSG.

It's like when the Punch Rare Corojo had a couple GREAT years ...and recently they're not up to those levels.

Funny - the last couple a' three I've had (from newer stock) have been flat. I think something with the tobacco has changed. It may be a similar crop...but not what I've been used to from the VSG.

Now I know why you sold them to me, ya rat bastid!

LMAO - as I was typing that post...I was thinking of you (not that I don't all the time)... :whistling:

LMAO - as I was typing that post...I was thinking of you (not that I don't all the time)... :whistling:
You're still hoping that one day he'll let you wear the tierra

VSG's benefit greatly from age. Try one with a few years on it and you'll see what I mean.

It could be that the blend changed or the batch was bad, but it could also be your palette? Sometimes I go on a streak where I enjoy one type of smoke for a while and then suddenly find them flat or out of whack. I'd say try revisiting them in a little bit. Sounds frustrating when your go-to changes in flavor. Another question I had is are you changing the type of drink you are having with the smokes? That can also affect it. The same goes with what you eat before it.

how does aging a VSG change or help the flavor? anyone tell me the differences?

Fresh VSGs are in your face smokes. Aged VSGs have had time to mellow and are great smokes. I've smoked a few Rounds and they were exceptional, well rounded, smooth and not in your face at all.

It could be that the blend changed or the batch was bad, but it could also be your palette? Sometimes I go on a streak where I enjoy one type of smoke for a while and then suddenly find them flat or out of whack. I'd say try revisiting them in a little bit. Sounds frustrating when your go-to changes in flavor. Another question I had is are you changing the type of drink you are having with the smokes? That can also affect it. The same goes with what you eat before it.
Good observations and suggestions. I've had boxes of Tres Mystique that were excellent top to bottom and boxes of Robustos that just plain sucked. Flat, devoid of depth, richness. It happens. Cigar-level variation is perhaps a different phenomenon from box-level variation. And variations of production over periods of time is potentially yet another level of variation.

I'm starting to become aware of a developing myth about the "dumbing down" of the VSG. I have not smoked many bone new VSGs lately but ones with even a year on them have ben spectacular. Recent production is still good enough for me, at least, to put down boxes of Tres and Illusions for sleeping.

Wilkey

Good observations and suggestions. I've had boxes of Tres Mystique that were excellent top to bottom and boxes of Robustos that just plain sucked. Flat, devoid of depth, richness. It happens. Cigar-level variation is perhaps a different phenomenon from box-level variation. And variations of production over periods of time is potentially yet another level of variation.

I'm starting to become aware of a developing myth about the "dumbing down" of the VSG. I have not smoked many bone new VSGs lately but ones with even a year on them have ben spectacular. Recent production is still good enough for me, at least, to put down boxes of Tres and Illusions for sleeping.

Wilkey

That would be a good theory, if it were not for the amount of folks who have noticed this issue.

------------------------

It may not be a 'dumbing down' ...but more of a production/blend issue.

With the particular characteristics the VSG offers, I wouldn't be surprised if there was difficulty in maintaining the integrity of the blend.