• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Want to get a new coffee grinder need help

I have a burr grinder - Baratza Virtuoso.
While I do like it and it is ideal for my French Press the difference in the quality of the coffee that comes out is negligible.

Stick with the cheap blade grinders!
If you let the coffee snobbery get you you will be blowing mad cash on top of the line coffee makers, roasting equipment, huge sacks of beans or cat poop beans!
Keep it simple while you can!
Unfortunately it is probably too late for me!

Good luck!

-Rob

edit - spelling

If you like to drink mud, use a blade grinder with a French Press.

-Mark

....I just bought a Baratza Virtuoso. Bought what I thought was a nice Cuisinart Burr Grinder which lasted about five months until SMOKE poured out from underneath it one day. Well, I held my nose and jumped off the pier and scored the Baratza.

You know, there's just something about the PERFECT tool for the job....and this would be it. Sure, it's not cheap but I have an affinity for things made out of metal and put together with screws. This baby is heavy and sounds like it'll probably run forever. Here's what Sweet Maria's had to say about the Virtuoso; this thing is the bomb. I thought I was nuts buying a coffee grinder that was this expensive, but WOW does this do the job. Course grind for my French Press, much finer for the occasional drip pot. It just works....perfectly......:thumbs:

If you can score a refurb grinder, that would be cool. My advice is either get a good one, or get the cheapest blade grinder you can buy.

JMHO - B.B.S.

While I do like it and it is ideal for my French Press the difference in the quality of the coffee that comes out is negligible.

If you let the coffee snobbery get you you will be blowing mad cash on top of the line coffee makers, roasting equipment, huge sacks of beans or cat poop beans!

Good luck!

-Rob

edit - spelling

-Mark

To save $60 or more mud is acceptable.
I used to do it all the time!
When my blade crapped out it's no big deal.
If (and when) my burr does, I will be pissed!

Just saying the rate of return on taste isn't that much for the burr...
But I am no super-taster.

-Rob

Good luck!

-Rob

edit - spelling

-Mark

-Rob

Fair enough, we just don't see eye to eye on this one.

-Mark

I own a Virtuoso as well. I picked it up after letting my espresso equipment go last year, so I was used to the quality of my Macap M4. When I sold my gear I promised myself to get a good grinder for my regular coffee needs, and the Virtuoso fit the bill. But for regular coffee...it probably IS overkill. I learned years ago, "Buy Right...and you Buy Once".

I just checked out the refurb'd grinders on the Baratza page. Seems like you can get a refurbed one for $70.00 or so.....that's what I'd do.

Good luck!

-Rob

-Mark

-Rob

-Mark

I'm going with Rob on this one. I've used both cheap blade grinders and top-of-the-line pricey burr grinders. Blasphemous, perhaps, but I really don't taste much of a difference with either grinder when when I brew with my french press or vacuum pot.

As for the OP's question, I had a Mr. Coffee grinder I got from Walmart that served me perfectly well for many years. Great since you're on a tight budget - it only costs $20. Since you're brewing just regular coffee, I think it's perfectly adequate for your needs...and I've ground some really dark, oily beans (think Killer Beans!) in this one with no problem. LINK

If you want a quality burr grinder, save up until you have at least $100-$150 to spend. In that case, I do recommend at Bodum Antigua (also suggested by another poster. Can't really go wrong with any Bodum products, IMO).

I'm going with Rob on this one. I've used both cheap blade grinders and top-of-the-line pricey burr grinders. Blasphemous, perhaps, but I really don't taste much of a difference with either grinder when when I brew with my french press or vacuum pot.

As for the OP's question, I had a Mr. Coffee grinder I got from Walmart that served me perfectly well for many years. Great since you're on a tight budget - it only costs $20. Since you're brewing just regular coffee, I think it's prfectly adequate for your needs...and I've ground some really dark, oily beans (think Killer Beans!) in this one with no problem. LINK

If you want a quality burr grinder, save up until you have at least $100-$150 to spend. In that case, I do recommend a Bodum Antigua (also suggested by another poster. Can't really go wrong with any Bodum products, IMO).

Yesi, by chance, do you like to play golf?
unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

I have a burr grinder - Baratza Virtuoso. While I do like it and it is ideal for my French Press the difference in the quality of the coffee that comes out is negligible. Stick with the cheap blade grinders! If you let the coffee snobbery get you you will be blowing mad cash on top of the line coffee makers, roasting equipment, huge sacks of beans or cat poop beans! Keep it simple while you can! Unfortunately it is probably too late for me! Good luck! -Rob
If you like to drink mud, use a blade grinder with a French Press. -Mark
To save $60 or more mud is acceptable. I used to do it all the time! When my blade crapped out it's no big deal. If (and when) my burr does, I will be pissed! Just saying the rate of return on taste isn't that much for the burr... But I am no super-taster. -Rob
Fair enough, we just don't see eye to eye on this one. -Mark
I'm going with Rob on this one. I've used both cheap blade grinders and top-of-the-line pricey burr grinders. Blasphemous, perhaps, but I really don't taste much of a difference with either grinder when when I brew with my french press or vacuum pot. As for the OP's question, I had a Mr. Coffee grinder I got from Walmart that served me perfectly well for many years. Great since you're on a tight budget - it only costs $20. Since you're brewing just regular coffee, I think it's prfectly adequate for your needs...and I've ground some really dark, oily beans (think Killer Beans!) in this one with no problem. LINK If you want a quality burr grinder, save up until you have at least $100-$150 to spend. In that case, I do recommend a Bodum Antigua (also suggested by another poster. Can't really go wrong with any Bodum products, IMO).

That's the blade grinder i have now.

Good luck!

-Rob

edit - spelling

-Mark

-Rob

-Mark

No worries Mark!

-Rob

Good luck!

-Rob

-Mark

-Rob

-Mark

As for the OP's question, I had a Mr. Coffee grinder I got from Walmart that served me perfectly well for many years. Great since you're on a tight budget - it only costs $20. Since you're brewing just regular coffee, I think it's perfectly adequate for your needs...and I've ground some really dark, oily beans (think Killer Beans!) in this one with no problem. LINK

If you want a quality burr grinder, save up until you have at least $100-$150 to spend. In that case, I do recommend at Bodum Antigua (also suggested by another poster. Can't really go wrong with any Bodum products, IMO).

Finer points aside, the grind produced by a blade grinder is noticeably inconsistent. Just look at it. There are chunks, dust, and everything in between. A French Press ideally requires an even, coarse grind or else there will be sludge --coffee grounds-- in your coffee. I suppose that the patient man will let those grounds settle to the bottom of his cup and be really careful about the last sip. That surely makes your morning cup o' joe a little better. What if I want to take my coffee out of the house? So I walk down the street, savoring my first coffee of the day, and all I notice are fine grounds in my mouth.

And, yes, I think it tastes different. Those grounds in your coffee cup are probably still (over)extracting because, after all and thankfully so, your coffee is nice and warm. Nylon filters may yet do a better job than stainless steel ones in keeping out the finer grounds. I'm not entirely sure.

Sludgy Coffee -> Funky Coffee. I can't stand it. I also realize that coffee is a matter of personal preference. If you find something you like, or that you're okay with, then go for it.

-Mark

I sort of don't mind the little bit of grinds in my cup. I just read them like teas leaves. :D

edit for spelling

I've been using my Cuisinart burr grinder for like 3 years with no issues. It was around $50 and has 16 different grind settings. When it breaks or dies I will probably get a nicer one but I think for the money it's been a great grinder.

Here is the one I use grinder .

I had a Maestro Plus (sp?) and burned it out within the first month. Returned it for a replacement and then sold it on ebay.

I then picked up the current one on ebay for $120 shipped. :D

Honestly, I have the black and decker burr grinder and I noticed a difference between it and a blade grinder immediately. I am not sure if having a better quality blade grinder would in turn make me like that better but as for now, I really enjoy it.

Here is the one I use grinder .

I had a Maestro Plus (sp?) and burned it out within the first month. Returned it for a replacement and then sold it on ebay.

I then picked up the current one on ebay for $120 shipped. :D

You could dispose of a body with one of those things.
unsure.gif

Was at target and the B&D burr grinder was on sale for $19 so i picked on up and will use it while i save some money for a better one.

The Baratza and Bodum grinders are both good grinders.
If you decide to stay with a blade grinder here is a suggestion.
Instead of holding down the button and grinding try pulsing
on and off. You will get a better grind and not as much dust.
Most of your local stores will have burr grinders as well.
You can check them out. Once the money starts flowing on
grinders and coffee makers it can be a money pit. Good luck.