• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

weight loss contest

Pathway to Success

Haven't researched exactly what type of diet I will be on but it will not contain fast foods, sodas or sweet tea. Water will become my primary drink. I'll spend at least 30 minutes to an hour of each shift I work inside the company gym rotating between the treadmill and weights. I will try to actually do something when I'm at home instead of laying on the couch watching tv.

Sticks will be on the way to Erick Monday.

Lose the word diet, you don't have to go on a diet. Just replace crap foods with some better foods and I guarantee you will see results, and you will start feeling better. :thumbs:

Lose the word diet, you don't have to go on a diet. Just replace crap foods with some better foods and I guarantee you will see results, and you will start feeling better. :thumbs:
Amen brother.
I did that about 10 years ago and have not looked back.

It's a life style change.
I still smoke cigars and like to have a drink.

But eating healthy foods and exercising regularly is the ticket.

Hey Brian, i'll send my fitness midget over, she's hot, and very fast, thus hard to catch, that's why she's the 'fitness midget'.

OH yeah, has anyone stopped to think about the prize package that is developing in this??? ahhahaha, thats going to be one hell of a nice stash

Just wondering with all the different types, needs, and goals here and such a large prize if maybe there should be the option of two or maybe even three payouts. That gives a bit of wiggle room to the judge as the whole thing is going to be very subjective.

Of course those were not the rules going in and I think most everyone involved would have to agree.

Seth

Edit for grammar

Package headed your way tomorrow Erick DC# 0103 8555 7493 1218 6178

I'm looking forward to all these smokes you guys are giving me :whistling: :whistling: :sign:

A few thoughts I want to lay out.

Calories

1 gram carbs = 4 calories
1 gram protein = 4 calories
1 gram fat = 9 calories
1 gram alcoholic sugar = 7 calories
The alcoholic sugars found in spirits are toxic to the body, so your body will seek to remove (burn) these calories first, putting aside all other carbohydrates. That is not to say I am not condoning consumption of refreshing beverages, but keep the consumption in moderation over a period of time. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a one or two servings of beer or wine after work, at the end of the day but keep in mind what alcohol does to the body. Alcohol is also a diuretic, so the water that is lost must be replenished.

The body naturally burns ~2000 calories a day, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on your metabolic rate. The minimum ~1500 calories must be met each day otherwise the body will recognize any deficit as a sign of starvation and will store fat inherently. There is a formula out there to calculate the average number of calories you should consume, linky, but I personally never had success following the formula. It doesn't take into account the source of the calories, nor the metabolic rate of the individual, and is as misleading as the BMI calculations. In addition, most nutritional panels on the foods you purchase only list the net calories, not the total calories, so just beware when buying your cereal, frozen peas, etc.

To maintain muscle mass, .8 grams per body weight of protein should be consumed, but it is rounded up to 1 gram for ease of calculations. Your body will utilize all the protein it can for muscle repair (after workouts especially) and any excess will be broken down and used as an energy source for your body.

Fat is an important macronutrient to your body. The body can't produce it, similar to protein, and must come from external sources. I try to limit my fat intake and more importantly, my saturated fat intake. For saturated fats, I like to keep the number below 10 grams daily. I try to keep the total fat intake to less than 100 grams, although for everyone else who wants to lose the fat, a lower number is more desirable. Let's say no more than 30% of your calories should come from fat, and no less than 10%.

Some healthy fats include almonds, peanuts, peanut butter, avocados, walnuts, fatty fish/fish oil supplements (omega 3's), flaxseed oil (omega 3's again)

Carbohydrates is the most flexible of the three macronutrients, because your body can survive without external sources. There are two times of the day in which your body can handle carbohydrates optimally, at breakfast time and post workout. Beware of High Fructose Corn Syrup, avoid at all costs, that means no Gatorade. I rarely eat white bread and other simple carbohydrates, instead I rely more on whole wheat bread (German Dark Wheat is my favorite) and fruits and vegetables for my carbohydrates.

Some tips to try out.

1 - Never eat carbohydrates by themselves, always pair it up with some form of protein.

2 - To keep body fat in check, avoid eating fat and carbohydrates together.

A simple sample of a daily meal plan based on macro nutrition.

Meals 1,2,3 - Carbohydrate + Protein (breakfast, brunch, lunch)
Meals 4.5.6 - Fats + Protein (late afternoon snack, dinner*, bedtime/midnight snack*)

*Feel free to cut down or cut out the fat from these meals if you feel it is not beneficial to your goals.

Hope this helps somewhat, and if any questions come to mind, feel free to ask.

edited for being absent minded.

One more thing guys, we are all here for support! If anyone has any questions about what they plan to do etc, don't be affraid to ask!

OH yeah, has anyone stopped to think about the prize package that is developing in this??? ahhahaha, thats going to be one hell of a nice stash

jetdr drools everytime he mentions it at our B&M.

Anyone Know where I can figure out how many weight watcher points I am allowed per day?

For Free?

Tim

Package will ship Tuesday, as tomorrow is MLK day and the post office is closed.

DC# 0103 8555 7491 8780 3514

Sorry for the delay.

Package includes an Opus X tin and 2 Anejo 48s

Soon to be:

ThinKen, well maybe just not as fat!

So we are starting this bad boy Wednesday, right? I will get my BF% posted before that and are you wanting documentation from a doctor proving weight around start and finish or our word? What was the concensus on all of that? I was at a local herf when my pics were taken and there were other CPers there to note the date. Was that good enough or do I need to get other pics holding up a current paper? Let me know, gentlemen!

I am not going to pay a doctor just to weigh me. If pictures of me and me on the scale are not enough then I have to bow out and send HS a few bucks for shipping to get my sticks back.

Seth

Anyone Know where I can figure out how many weight watcher points I am allowed per day?

For Free?

Tim

Daily Points are based on weight, and you are in the 175 range, so I presume it's somewhere around 27 points. Found this link, although I don't know how accurate it is.

Not to put any road bumps on the Weight Watchers Ideology, but I work with a guy who weighs around 290, has been on and off weight watchers for almost three years now, and he never dropped below 260 pounds. Although I suspect it is primarily from his lethargic nature, but satisfactory results can be gleaned if the discipline is there.

Well I think I have everyone beat on the % body fat so here are my new stats:

Height: 5'3"
Weight: 224
BF%: 44.5

Don't have any idea how much of that fat I can lose but my percentage is scary. I'm expecting to lose at least 35lbs so whatever seems average for that???

Ok boys and girls, do all contest participants have their sticks sent to Eric?

Seth: you don't have to get a Dr to weigh you, your pic and weight will suffice, although you can get a device that tells you your BF% for pretty cheap, but the contest isn't about having rules that make people go buy stuff they don't want / need.

Jonesy is out, he got skerrt and his mangina was bothering him, or work has him unable to be involved...

Lets start this Thursday, all weigh ins updated 'stats' need to be posted by thurs, as well as any goal changes, and pics pm'd to Erick. Contest begins for each individual on Thurs when the above is completed. I'll be on a 11 hr drive starting in a hour, so i'll be eating like 47lbs of food on the way back...

At this point, Erick takes over the contest, i'm simply another contestant from here on out.

Good luck and lets get healthy

OK, I will post a new Stat page after the morning weigh in, plus a few pics of me to Eric, and a pic of the scale and my super sexy feet.

My goals are not related to weight lose, except that need to get under what the "Army"ays I shold weigh. BUt what I my main purpose is to get back into the "Army" shape so I do not lose the Job of a Lifetime that I am going to in Brussels.

Tim

guys, just checking in while I have a chance. I am still in San Diego for work but will be returning tomorrow evening and will get this all organized.

E

Works for me.

I weighed and took pics Sunday and started eating better and working out again Monday so unless there are objections I will start as that as my reference.

Good news is my Chiropractor says my neck has come far enough along I should be able to get back into full contact Martial Arts in the next couple of weeks.

Seth

Anyone know of a program such as excel, that I can input numbers daily or weekly, that once entered, would transfer to a plot so that I may track progress and see trends?

Anyone know of a program such as excel, that I can input numbers daily or weekly, that once entered, would transfer to a plot so that I may track progress and see trends?

can't you do that w/ Excel?

can't you do that w/ Excel?

Well, if I knew how to do it, I wouldn't have asked. I'll work on it. Damn do I feel stupid...

Edit to add: OK, I see where I can do it, now where did I put that users manual? Carry on with the conversation that was in progress prior to me making a mockery of myself.