• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Well, crap. Lost my older brother today.

He finally managed to drink himself to death. Been on a bender for two weeks. Nephew found him dead out on the front porch this morning. Helluva thing.

We weren't close, but . . . well, it's still a blow, after all. Not that we didn't all know this was that particular story's inevitable final act, but I don't think any of us thought it'd be quite this soon. He got his disability settlement and went from 4 Lokos and Steel Reserve in "maintenance" quantities to a couple fifths of premium single malt Scotch a day . . . and that was just that.

Complicated set of emotions. It's sad, but kind of a relief, then you feel guilty for being relieved. ???

~Boar

That's tough brother. I feel for you and am sorry for your loss. I had an uncle who overdosed and we all knew it would happen and had those same mixed emotions about it.

Very sorry for your loss, no matter how close your still brothers

This is never ready no master how close you are. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Sorry bro! Funny how you think someone would be better off dead.............. Out of their misery so to speak.

Then when it finally happens it seems you weren't ready for the finality of it all. Not to mention the range of conflicting emotions you never expected to feel.

Complicated set of emotions. It's sad, but kind of a relief, then you feel guilty for being relieved. ???

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know the feelings you speak of--I'm going through them myself. Just lost my mama to cancer in July and it was devastating. She was suffering from debilitating health issues prior to her diagnosis--including an addiction to prescription painkillers. For these reasons, I felt a sense of peace when she passed away and subsequently....guilt. Just know you're not alone and that this is a totally normal way of coping with grief and loss. Stay strong!

Sad news bro but I know how you feel, I lost my little brother last month who also died after a life of abusing himself. Either way it doesn't make the pain of a loss any harder to take because it is another family face and voice that you won't be seeing and hearing again.

Thanks all . . . especially you, Yesi, for letting me know I'm not "flunking humanity" or anything . . . and you're right, too, Shaun, the list of people in my life who "knew me when" is getting awful short these days. Helluva thing.

I've kinda been head of the family since Dad passed in '01, so this is just---well, it's mine to do, I guess. Hardest part's getting Mom through it. She's taking it pretty hard.

~Boar

Sorry for your loss, Boar. No matter how relieved you feel it's still really tough.

My condolences, Boar. I feel bad for your mom. A parent doesn't expect to bury a child.

Doc

My condolences, Boar. I feel bad for your mom. A parent doesn't expect to bury a child.

Doc

No, it's just not natural.

My wife struggles with this as well. Her mother is in Alzheimers care. We've often talked about 'what if' and 'whenever' and we feel some guilt just with that.

Thoughts and prayers buddy.

Be strong.

G~

That is horrible. I'm so sorry to hear that, Boar. Complicated set of emotions, for sure. We'll keep you in our thoughts.

Sorry for the loss of your brother, Boar. My coolest cousin died in a similar fashion, just replace the bottle with a needle. When I see him one day, I know he won't be hurting anymore.