• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Well I guess we will have our schmale

preembargo said:
Gonz said:
Well I just got a few boxes in the mail, and all of the clasps are exactly identical to the schmale clasps, except these ones now say "Made in Nigeria".  Is there anything fishy about that?  :0
[snapback]299617[/snapback]​

Are these from that Nigerian box split where you're supposed to deposit them and then you get to keep a fiver out of 'em? :laugh:
[snapback]299625[/snapback]​

That gives me an idea for a pass...

nevermind.

Ok here is the answer straight from the horses mouth so to speak (Even though Frau Schmale sounds like an very intelligent and nice woman.)

Only Schmale clasps are licensed for use in Cuba.

However she said that she can not guarantee that boxes with clasps made anywhere else do not carry authentic cigars, she doubts highly that they do.

She said while it is possible that some company's may use clasps made elsewhere or boxes with clasps made elsewhere, she doubts they would go to the trouble since they would be breaking the exclusive contract Schmale has had since the early 1900s.

She asked me to ask you, the members of Cigar Pass, if she could have one or two samples of the boxes with the Italian clasps. She is very interested in finding out the origins of the "fake" clasps.

So if anyone could send me one or two of the empty boxes with Italian clasps so I can pass them on to her, she would be grateful.

She wants no other information regarding who or where the cigars were purchased, she just wants to take a look at the clasps themselves.

Thanks for tuning into this episode of CSI Havana lol

Shawn

That's some great investigative reporting! Thanks for the info.

Also, would it be possible for whoever it was that had the Italian clasp to just take the clasp off the box? It might be alot easier than trying to send the whole box over to Germany. Just an idea.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have gotten them cigars from that Nigerian email I rec'd. :p

Fascinating!

Well done, Shawn. Well done. :thumbs: So let me turn her statement around a bit and you tell me if it still holds true to what she said. Boxes of authentic Cuban cigars which have the clasp with brooch on them must have "Schmale/Germany" stamped on the brooch.

I can't wait for the next chapter.

Wilkey

PS. So what was she wearing? :p

Wow! A hundred year old agreement and this tool for spotting counterfeits is just now being discovered.

CSI nothing, WURM you're Interpol and Scotland Yard all rolled into one. Fantastic job!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Gonz said:
That's some great investigative reporting! Thanks for the info.

Also, would it be possible for whoever it was that had the Italian clasp to just take the clasp off the box? It might be alot easier than trying to send the whole box over to Germany. Just an idea.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have gotten them cigars from that Nigerian email I rec'd. :p
[snapback]299908[/snapback]​

She said she would like to have the box as well... obviously that will help her find out where the fake clasps are coming from.

Ginseng said:
Fascinating!

Well done, Shawn. Well done. :thumbs: So let me turn her statement around a bit and you tell me if it still holds true to what she said. Boxes of authentic Cuban cigars which have the clasp with brooch on them must have "Schmale/Germany" stamped on the brooch.

I can't wait for the next chapter.

Wilkey

PS. So what was she wearing? :p
[snapback]299921[/snapback]​

Bingo on the bold text bro... And no idea what she was wearing lol she does have a very nice voice though :)

Inspector WURM said:
She said she would like to have the box as well... obviously that will help her find out where the fake clasps are coming from.
--------------

I doubt her concern is with "fake" clasps, she's more likely trying to figure out who's infringing on her exclusive agreement so she can put a stop to it.

preembargo said:
Inspector WURM said:
--------------

I doubt her concern is with "fake" clasps, she's more likely trying to figure out who's infringing on her exclusive agreement so she can put a stop to it.
[snapback]299958[/snapback]​

Thats my guess as well, and I really can't blame her. I think she needs the box to see how the holographic labels looks and the box code and which cigar manufacturer it is. Then they can decide if the box is legit and contact the Cuban company.

Very interesting! Especially since after reading the posts that were linked in this thread, some of the owners of Italian clasps bought them at LCDH stores.
Others bought them in the late 90's and are sure about the authenticity given thier sources. On a side note, a local B&M sells empty boxes from either their stock, or from customers. Picked up an empty Cohiba Sublime box to put my Sublime singles in. After this thread I took a look at the clasp. "Italy" :) Not sure who the owner of the box was, but I sure hope he got a good deal on those :laugh:

pittesq said:
Very interesting! Especially since after reading the posts that were linked in this thread, some of the owners of Italian clasps bought them at LCDH stores.
Others bought them in the late 90's and are sure about the authenticity given thier sources. On a side note, a local B&M sells empty boxes from either their stock, or from customers. Picked up an empty Cohiba Sublime box to put my Sublime singles in. After this thread I took a look at the clasp. "Italy" :) Not sure who the owner of the box was, but I sure hope he got a good deal on those :laugh:
[snapback]300024[/snapback]​

You wouldn't mind sending that box on to me would you? Or go check to see if they have any more? :) I'll make it worth your while...

I wonder which is more likely, a facotry in Cuba using clasps from a source outside this contract, or these boxes from people who are confident in their sources being fakes?
Really could be either.

smokelaw1 said:
I wonder which is more likely, a factory in Cuba using clasps from a source outside this contract, or these boxes from people who are confident in their sources being fakes? 
Really could be either.
[snapback]300029[/snapback]​

I think thats the main reason Frau Schmale is very interested in seeing a few of the Italian clasp boxes.

lol it really was a conference call today, she had both of her general managers in the office as well on the speaker phone.

Wow. Maybe if you help them find someone acting outside the contract, she'll give you a "finders fee" of a few boxes with their clasps on them (full).

She might, but thats not the reason I'm doing this... :cool:

Wurm said:
pittesq said:
Others bought them in the late 90's and are sure about the authenticity given thier sources. On a side note, a local B&M sells empty boxes from either their stock, or from customers. Picked up an empty Cohiba Sublime box to put my Sublime singles in. After this thread I took a look at the clasp. "Italy" :) Not sure who the owner of the box was, but I sure hope he got a good deal on those  :laugh:

You wouldn't mind sending that box on to me would you? Or go check to see if they have any more? :) I'll make it worth your while...
[snapback]300026[/snapback]​

Wurm, I need the one I have, but they should have another. The one I bought wasn't the only one they had (at the time). Their members that have lockers there bring in empty boxes all the time. If they don't have one I'll check for you every 2-3 days for you. They are a block away from my jo so it's no hassle. PM me your address so when they have it I'll send it out to you. Anything else you looking for? If so PM me that with your addy too.

pittesq said:
Wurm said:
pittesq said:
Others bought them in the late 90's and are sure about the authenticity given thier sources. On a side note, a local B&M sells empty boxes from either their stock, or from customers. Picked up an empty Cohiba Sublime box to put my Sublime singles in. After this thread I took a look at the clasp. "Italy" :) Not sure who the owner of the box was, but I sure hope he got a good deal on those  :laugh:

[snapback]300026[/snapback]​

Wurm, I need the one I have, but they should have another. The one I bought wasn't the only one they had (at the time). Their members that have lockers there bring in empty boxes all the time. If they don't have one I'll check for you every 2-3 days for you. They are a block away from my jo so it's no hassle. PM me your address so when they have it I'll send it out to you. Anything else you looking for? If so PM me that with your addy too.
[snapback]300047[/snapback]​

PM sent.

And smokelaw :) thanks for the kind words.

Once more...well done young man! :thumbs:

I'll look in my stash but I checked almost all of them recently and the brooches said "Schmale/Germany."

Wilkey