• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Well I guess we will have our schmale

I have two full boxes of cohiba esplendidos with the italy clasp on them. Both are from the El Laguito(sp?) factory. I have no doubt to their authenticity and I purchased them from a reputable source. BTW, this box was from Mar 05. On the bottom of the box it also says LOME right above where it says Mar 05. I might be inclined to send the full box (unopened) still shrinkwrapped from the factory if it would help the cause. I really wanted to smoke those esplendidos but if this will help prove one way or the other I'm willing to part with my money.

I hope you are joking.

A few months ago I sent Frau Schmale a box that pittesq was kind enough to send over to me, today I received a letter from her after her return from Cuba and investigating the source of the Italian clasp (brooch). She gave me permission to post her findings here.

The box was a fake made of both stripped Schmale hardware and hardware from Italy and it and its contents origins was not Cuba at all, but more than likely the United States where the largest market for fake Cuban cigars exists.

She said that if some one receives a box of "Cuban" cigars with an Italian clasp to contact the source immediately, because she can guarantee with out any hesitation the cigars in the box are fake.

She also wrote that they are trying to identify the maker of the Italian clasps due to Patent violations and that the matter is far from over.

So there you have it, if your box has Italian hardware, you need to beat your source with a stick :p

I have to say it was pretty fun playing detective for the brothers and sisters here at CP :thumbs:

Nice work, Wurm.

So it seems that any box of purported Cubans with a clasp not made by Schmale Germany is definitely a fake.

How about the converse? Can we say that any box of purported Cubans with a Schmale Germany clasp is definitely kosher? Obviously not in the case of genuine boxes that are recycled: the box is genuine but the contents are not. But can Frau Schmale assure us that she supplies her clasps only to manufacturers of genuine habanos and not to unscrupulous counterfeiters?

I had a talk with her, that lasted a little over an hour, after she called me regarding the first Email I sent.

She told me that they supply the hardware only to licensed box manufacturers. And since they have the exclusive contract there is no need or want to provide the illegal market with box parts.

She also said that counterfeiters and shops that sell fake cigars do like to refill genuine boxes but if you trust your source (funny that she calls them that just like we do) and your source provides you with un-opened boxes that have Schmale hardware and all the other required seals, that you shouldn't worry about your cigars not being genuine.

So it goes back to the "Trust your Source" mantra.

But at least we now have one more way to immediately see if a box is fake.

Nice work, Wurm.

So it seems that any box of purported Cubans with a clasp not made by Schmale Germany is definitely a fake.

How about the converse? Can we say that any box of purported Cubans with a Schmale Germany clasp is definitely kosher? Obviously not in the case of genuine boxes that are recycled: the box is genuine but the contents are not. But can Frau Schmale assure us that she supplies her clasps only to manufacturers of genuine habanos and not to unscrupulous counterfeiters?
Well, look who's back. :laugh: When's your next auction Nicholas? ???

Nice work, Wurm.

I'm guessing this has to do with something from another site? Could you guys please refrain from turning this thread into some type of war?

Great work and patience hanging in there as long as you did.

Brian

Nice work, Wurm.

I'm guessing this has to do with something from another site? Could you guys please refrain from turning this thread into some type of war?

I ABSOLUTELY agree that this should be kept out of this thread. There are issues with CG, which if anyone is interested, may be read about here: http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...81&#entry231381 and on the related threads linked to.

This thread is too valuable to be used as just another place to bash folks (whether deservedly or not).

Edit: Just realized this could be read as an attack on CC, Bill, I hope you realize that that is not at all how it is meant.

She told me that they supply the hardware only to licensed box manufacturers. And since they have the exclusive contract there is no need or want to provide the illegal market with box parts.

Thanks for the clarification.

Damn good work there. Now there is another weapon in the battle against the fakes.

Fantastic thread and great work!!
Now....is there anything like that scribbled real small and tiny like on those nails of non-clasped boxes (e.g., RASS). Lemme break out the magnifying glass...

I'm guessing this has to do with something from another site?

Wrong, happened here.
But on another note, AWESOME work there Wurm. This was a very interesting read. :thumbs:

Well done, Shawn. Well done.

This inquiry has been a long and winding road but your investigation has finally provided an answer that is as close to definitive as we could hope for.

The "mantra" is even more relevant after all this.

Good job!

Wilkey

All that being said and as sure as it seems the Frau is above board, the truth is never as obvious as it seems. Certainly if the people at S.A. were "illegaly" purchasing the Italian clasps to save money, the certainly would not incriminate themselves to the Frau and face the penalties. So what seems obvious potentially could be a case of passing the buck. One would hope not but..........