• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What beer did you drink today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washed down a great smoke with this Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout!

Thanks Mystery Bomber for the great brew!
Thanks again CJ for the smoke!

Paul

Are you chilling your glasses?

Yes is that not a good Idea?

Depends. For Bud Light and the like it is, so you don't taste the beer. That's why they promote "coldest beer".

For beer that actually has depth and layers, it is not a good idea. For a stout I like to drink it around 55F or so. This let's the hints of chocolate and coffee really come through. I'll usually pull a beer our of the fridge and let it warm up for 20 minutes or so. If I grab it from my cellar it is usually good to go. The good thing about European brewers is that they put the recommended range of temps and serving glass on the labels. Hopefully America will follow suit soon. I also like to serve my stouts in a snifter as it really traps the aromas in until you bring it up to your mouth and nose.

But it's all about if you enjoy it or not. You'll get a lot more flavor from serving it at the correct temperatures.

Are you close enough to Connecticut to get access to Hillstead Farm beers? They have some good ones coming out of there.

Washed down a great smoke with this Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout!

Thanks Mystery Bomber for the great brew!
Thanks again CJ for the smoke!

Paul

Are you chilling your glasses?

Yes is that not a good Idea?

Depends. For Bud Light and the like it is, so you don't taste the beer. That's why they promote "coldest beer".

For beer that actually has depth and layers, it is not a good idea. For a stout I like to drink it around 55F or so. This let's the hints of chocolate and coffee really come through. I'll usually pull a beer our of the fridge and let it warm up for 20 minutes or so. If I grab it from my cellar it is usually good to go. The good thing about European brewers is that they put the recommended range of temps and serving glass on the labels. Hopefully America will follow suit soon. I also like to serve my stouts in a snifter as it really traps the aromas in until you bring it up to your mouth and nose.

But it's all about if you enjoy it or not. You'll get a lot more flavor from serving it at the correct temperatures.

Are you close enough to Connecticut to get access to Hillstead Farm beers? They have some good ones coming out of there.

Thanks for all the info. As you can tell I am a rookie at this craft brew game. I have always been a booze guy till the last year or so and have been drinking Coors light which to me is great ICE COLD. So naturally I put everything in the beer fridge which is set to run off of liquid temp at 34F. I put most of my glasses in there as well to keep them cold. I will look on the bottles for the recommended temps and try some warmer. As for CT yes I am close and I will take a look into there line.

+1 on the temp recommendation. For my tastes, I'll even go all the way up to room temperature, especially for stouts and barleywines. I think you'll be surprised how more robust the beer tastes when it has a chance to warm up a bit.

+1 on the temp recommendation. For my tastes, I'll even go all the way up to room temperature, especially for stouts and barleywines. I think you'll be surprised how more robust the beer tastes when it has a chance to warm up a bit.

So do you still store them cold? Like in a fridge.

No, store them in a cellar or basement. Never in a fridge long term.

No, store them in a cellar or basement. Never in a fridge long term.

Long Term doesn't exsist for beer in my house...lol

If I'm expecting to drink it fairly soon (within a month or so), I'll stick them in the fridge. If I'm planning to age it, it goes in the cellar (and by cellar I mean closet).

I don't think long term storage in a fridge will hurt the beer, but I don't think it will allow it to age, especially if it's bottle-conditioned.

Paul what sort of drinking vessels do you have? Try and explore different shapes and sizes as they (just like proper temp) can promote a much more enjoyable experience.

I love my New Belgium "Snifter Style" glass! Has a little nucleation point on the bottom of the glass that creates a nice whirlwind of bubbles.

0c7e1a8b.jpg

I have mainly the glass that you have seen in most pictures that Dave gave me in the Beer PIF. I did have a Sam Adams Perfect pint glass but it broke. :angry:

Inless its a coors light I drink out of that glass. or a regular beer glass coors light just flows right out of there pint cans...LOL

gallery_13257_1558_615429.jpg

Yes that is a bowl of cheese I'm eatting... :laugh:

I have the same table and chairs out by my fire pit... :thumbs:

Paul what sort of drinking vessels do you have? Try and explore different shapes and sizes as they (just like proper temp) can promote a much more enjoyable experience.

I love my New Belgium "Snifter Style" glass! Has a little nucleation point on the bottom of the glass that creates a nice whirlwind of bubbles.

That NB glass is one of my favorites. I have a bunch of glasses that I can't find anymore and try not to drink out of them too much. I already broke one rare glass, one Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass, and a NB glass. That NB glass is near perfect for almost any drink. If it was only a little bigger.

And TP, just hit up your local World Market and pick out a bunch of cheap glasses (made of glass) in the glasses section. Brandy snifters, pils glasses, wine glasses, etc. Drink the same beer all week long out of a different shape each day and see if you get different results. Of course have the beer warm-ish - depending on the style.

I have mainly the glass that you have seen in most pictures that Dave gave me in the Beer PIF. I did have a Sam Adams Perfect pint glass but it broke. :angry:

Inless its a coors light I drink out of that glass. or a regular beer glass coors light just flows right out of there pint cans...LOL

gallery_13257_1558_615429.jpg

Damn TP...if I knew you didn't have other glasses I would have sent you something a bit more unique. I picked a Brooklyn Pint Glass as they tend to be sturdier and ship better.

Damn TP...if I knew you didn't have other glasses I would have sent you something a bit more unique. I picked a Brooklyn Pint Glass as they tend to be sturdier and ship better.

No I'm good! My bosses wife works for a wine and liquer place here in the stat and the have tones of glasses the rep "Riedel" I think. Its a black box with read writing on it. I will hit here up.

Whay shapes would you guys recommend?

gallery_2_1574_13875.jpg

One of my favorites!

Paul - Definitely drink your beer warmer. I generally pour mine into a glass and let it sit for about 5 minutes before drinking. If you want to really explore how beer opens up when it's not ice cold, then go grab a Wells Banana Bread ale. Chill it down as you normally would a Coors, then pour it into your glass. Immediately take a few sips and see what flavors pop out. I bet it will taste just like beer with a very subtle hint of banana. Now, let the glass of beer sit for at least 15 min, and come back and take another sip. Tell me what you taste now! It will taste like your drinking a freshly baked loaf of banana bread. You'll taste the walnuts, bread, bananas, cinnamon, spices, etc all in that glass of beer.

This is an excellent experiment at how drinking beer at the temperature it should be drunk at opens up all of the unique flavors. The banana bread beer will do a great job at showing you what you're missing in the other beers if you continue to drink them cold. :)

I used to dislike hoppy beers, as I just didn't like the bitter taste. Now I can't find a beer that is hoppy enough! Hop Wallop is the best I've found.

I think I'm going to head out to Total Wine (they should call it Total Beer) one evening this week for some more beer. My stock is running low, and I'm out of banana bread beer.

Had a Mikkeller Hop Burn High, MIkkeller Monks Brew (Barrel Aged Raspberry Edition), and a Stillwater/Emellise Holland Oats (best name ever) yesterday evening.

gallery_2_1574_13875.jpg

One of my favorites!

Paul - Definitely drink your beer warmer. I generally pour mine into a glass and let it sit for about 5 minutes before drinking. If you want to really explore how beer opens up when it's not ice cold, then go grab a Wells Banana Bread ale. Chill it down as you normally would a Coors, then pour it into your glass. Immediately take a few sips and see what flavors pop out. I bet it will taste just like beer with a very subtle hint of banana. Now, let the glass of beer sit for at least 15 min, and come back and take another sip. Tell me what you taste now! It will taste like your drinking a freshly baked loaf of banana bread. You'll taste the walnuts, bread, bananas, cinnamon, spices, etc all in that glass of beer.

This is an excellent experiment at how drinking beer at the temperature it should be drunk at opens up all of the unique flavors. The banana bread beer will do a great job at showing you what you're missing in the other beers if you continue to drink them cold. :)

I used to dislike hoppy beers, as I just didn't like the bitter taste. Now I can't find a beer that is hoppy enough! Hop Wallop is the best I've found.

I think I'm going to head out to Total Wine (they should call it Total Beer) one evening this week for some more beer. My stock is running low, and I'm out of banana bread beer.

Rod I acctually have a Banana Bread Beer in the fridge currently so its at 34F I will do this experiment when I get home from work tonight and report my findings here...

Stay Tuned :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.