• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What beer did you drink today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dieu du Ciel, Pêché Mortel

I have a question, did you (do you) enjoy the Peche Mortel? I had it as part of our recent stout tasting and it was awful. Tasted like a musty ashtray, in fact it was the only drain pour of the night.

Actually it is one of the best imperial stout in the world.

Now, what bottle did you guys have? One of the Sheldom brothers import or the news one, since they are openly bottling now.
In bottle, I would rank the PM a 8.5 out of 10, the alcohol flavors come out more prominent than in tap, then on tap I would give it a 9999999999999 out of 10 where flavours of dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa and vanilla comes tickles your palate.

Now yes I do enjoy it in bottle, now maybe its a bottle who did not travel or age well.

But I assure you this beer is a beer you must try ON TAP.

I hope you are right and it was just a bad bottle. The one I had was bottled in 2006, I got it from a Canadian brother over on BeerAdvocate. I heard it is making it into national distro soon so I will just try it again then as I had to trade some damn good beer to get the first one.

BTW - Look what it was up against that night.. LINKY

Night before last had a Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, WOW!

Last night I had Delirium Tremens and St Peter's Cream Stout
The Tremens was awesome...the Cream Stout was ok, nothing to brag about.

As I sit and type this out, I am drinking a Stones Smoked Porter, this is also very good. Smoke Flavor is just right not over powering! Have another that I will put away for aging, can't wait to see how it evolves.

Has anyone had AleSmith Grande Cru or Drake's Imperial Stout? What is your Opinion?

Last night drank some great beer courtesy of the host of the party I went to.
Westy 8
Westy 12
A lot of cider
A bunch of barley wines
A few wheat wines

I smoked a 1964 PAN Principe and gave my buddy a 1926 35 Maddie which he enjoyed!

-Rob

Last night drank some great beer courtesy of the host of the party I went to.
Westy 8
Westy 12
A lot of cider
A bunch of barley wines
A few wheat wines

I smoked a 1964 PAN Principe and gave my buddy a 1926 35 Maddie which he enjoyed!

-Rob

Damn Rob, rub it in why don't cha! :laugh:

I had another Pêché Mortel last night, and I don't know but the magic for me in bottle seems to be gone. On tap I would kill for a glass, but in bottle it is good but it is not the greatness I have when I go to the pub.

Westy 8 and 12, two beers I waited years to try and was so dissapointed, very good, excellent beer but I just hate the "aura" surrounding these beers.

Denver: nice list

I had another Pêché Mortel last night, and I don't know but the magic for me in bottle seems to be gone. On tap I would kill for a glass, but in bottle it is good but it is not the greatness I have when I go to the pub.

Westy 8 and 12, two beers I waited years to try and was so dissapointed, very good, excellent beer but I just hate the "aura" surrounding these beers.

I agree with you totally regarding the Westy.
Good solid beers, but not nearly as good as the hype.

Jonas - get your ass to NY and I will introduce you to my beer friend!

-Rob

Sorry, but you guys are both wrong. :sign:

ps. I'm and admitted quad whore, and I realize I could just have bought into the hype, but IMO, the Westy 12 is maybe the best beer I've ever had.

Picked up a six pack of Michelob Porter because I didn't have time to go into Charlotte where the "real" beer is.....yuck. Guess I've gotten spoiled on the good stuff.

Jonas - get your ass to NY and I will introduce you to my beer friend!

-Rob

That would be awesome, soon man, soon!

Sorry, but you guys are both wrong. :sign:

ps. I'm and admitted quad whore, and I realize I could just have bought into the hype, but IMO, the Westy 12 is maybe the best beer I've ever had.

I have to agree with Justin, the Westy 12 was everything I expected and more. I don't buy into hype but Dark Lord and Westy 12 both deserve all the accolades they get IMO. :thumbs:

Personally with all the beers I had in my life, westy 8 and 12 and in my top, but not the top beer. There was something that didnt not get me, maybe one day at the pub next to the abbey, I will say "bloody *** **** **** **** *** that *****" and will put it as my first best beer. But we all know taste is a personal matter, some people consider Coors light as a masterpiece of brewing lol

Denver:

I had to add about the Peche Mortel, the bottle you got was one of the 50 or so cases that was exported to the US, all the 22oz bottles were bottled and capped by HAND!!!!!!!! So maybe the aging period wasnt perfect as it was supposed to be because of the hand cap, now they brew industrial since november, we'll see

But their "Corne Du Diable" who is supposed to be an APA, is a great session ale, I think it goes more to the 2IPA than an APA.

Had the Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock, this was a really good beer. Lots of flavor with a balance of bitter and sweetness. Only picked up 2 for around $2 each, should have picked up more ... but now BevMo is all out, DANG IT!

Had a Unibroue Edicion 2005 last night. What a fantastic beer! Great balance and very smooth, with a huge plum finish. This had everything that I love about a good BSDA.

Right now I'm on my 3rd Rochefort 10 of the night...only dissapointing thought is it's all downhill from here. I can't believe some of you were underwhemed by Westvleteren...that's as perfect as a beer can get, imho.

Had a 2007 Alaskan Smoked Porter tonight. Wanted to wait for the right moment for this beer because I won't be able to get ahold of it and I certainly wasn't disappointed. This was a wonderful Porter and I'm here to tell you, for a first time drinker of this, the smoke taste was almost overwhelming the first 2-3 sips, but became absolutely delicious after that. I fired up a Padron '26 #2 maddie to smoke while enjoying this treat and they actually paired well. I don't think either had a chance of overpowering the other. Thanks a bunch Justin it was thoroughly enjoyed!

Had a 2007 Alaskan Smoked Porter tonight. Wanted to wait for the right moment for this beer because I won't be able to get ahold of it and I certainly wasn't disappointed. This was a wonderful Porter and I'm here to tell you, for a first time drinker of this, the smoke taste was almost overwhelming the first 2-3 sips, but became absolutely delicious after that. I fired up a Padron '26 #2 maddie to smoke while enjoying this treat and they actually paired well. I don't think either had a chance of overpowering the other. Thanks a bunch Justin it was thoroughly enjoyed!

Glad you enjoyed it Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back