• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you guys use to maintain inventory

I've tried but for an inventory to be of any value, you have to maintain it. Just not worth the headache, to me. Last thing I want to do when it's time for a smoke is a bunch of paperwork. No thanks.....

It is actually a lot easier on a mobile device synced with a computer. Aps like cigar geeks, and others mentioned here make it nice. The initial work sucked, but then with a soon about to be i'm his teens, I didn't have a choice.

I've looked at cigar boss and others, even downloaded cb, but never used it.

Four years at CP and I only have two working humidors, so I don't really need anything to manage inventory. Maybe it's from the volume I smoke, or I'm blessed with a good cigar memory, but it's as easy for me to look in a humi as it is to look in my phone or computer.

I know for me, one of the nicest things about keeping an inventory is being able to track where I got a particular cigar. I just smoked a cigar Beyond the Band gave to me almost two years ago. Fantastic!

^this^
And I might add that it is much easier to know when you area running out of something that might be HTF. So you can start your search accordingly.

Keeping an inventory was useful when I did lots of trades and passes. Now I do very little of that, and it's so-o-o much more relaxing.

I also tried to inventory my smokes, after several hours I gave up. What a PITA. I used the Stogie Rate program. Its a pretty decent program, but VERY time consuming.

I know for me, one of the nicest things about keeping an inventory is being able to track where I got a particular cigar. I just smoked a cigar Beyond the Band gave to me almost two years ago. Fantastic!
I label all gifted cigars using Bob R's labels with that kind of info. Also, I jot the 'humi date' on the bottom of new incoming boxes.

I label all gifted cigars using Bob R's labels with that kind of info. Also, I jot the 'humi date' on the bottom of new incoming boxes.

This is what I do as well except I stick a label on every stick going into the humidor not just the ones gifted to me. I'll put info on there regarding the make up of the cigar (i.e., country of origin, wrapper type, etc.), the MSRP, where I got it, and when I got it. So much easier than trying to keep an inventory.

About the only thing I use is an old boot camp maxim. "Smoke 'em if you've got e'm".

I do however, keep a box of all my receipts underneath my Koolador. In the kooladore, I have a small box on top that I use to keep my smoking notes. Essentially, after smoking a new cigar, I write a numeric grade on the back of the band, and a one or two word description/impression of the smoke. I then throw the band into the small box, which I have nickmaned band-in-a-box. :laugh: ;)

I do the same as this! I use a jar instead of a box.

I'm a database nerd ...LOL Thought about creating a cigar database, then decided just to use an excel (openoffice) spreadsheet instead.

My first sheet is cigar inventory. Qty. , price per stick, notes and date of purchase.
cigar01.png

The rest of the sheets are by year (i.e. 2012, 2011, 2010)
These sheets record Qty smoked and a small personal review and total cost.
cigar02.png

If you smoke alot ... Just don't let the wife see the total amount spent !!! ;)

I've used excel for four years now. Once I got a cabinet I had to in order to keep everything straight. After I smoke a cigar, I cut and paste in the "Smoked" worksheet, add whether it was good or not, basic notes and what I paired it with. It's a great system that doesn't take much time at all.

Edit for lousy spelling.

I've used excel for four years now. Once I got a cabinent I had to in order to keep everything straight. After I smoke a cigar, I cut and paste in the "Smoked" worksheet, add whether it was good or not, basic notes and what I paired it with. It's a great system that doesn't take much time at all.

Very good idea for the Smoked follow up! (added to my new spread sheet inspired by this thread)

I like a quote I heard a long time ago that I live by ever since.<br /><br />"I would rather have a short pencil than a long memory."  It holds true with managing my cigars and pat experiences with ones I am not to familiar with.
Edited to correct the stupid auto correct.

I"m the same as BBS, labels for individual gifted smokes. I write on the boxes the month, year & price and stack them in the humi.

I keep an inventory of what I buy. Then I smoke what I have. And then I buy some more and put them on the inventory sheets. I never remove any, that way I have one hell of a lot more on the inventory sheets the what I really have. Makes my ego feel good. Really?????? Ya.

Cigars by their nature are supposed to be relaxing. Keeping a strict inventory contradicts that IMHO.

Jason

Cigars by their nature are supposed to be relaxing. Keeping a strict inventory contradicts that IMHO.

Jason

I agree to a point. If you have the kind of personality that enjoys the tracking and organization then it is still relaxing. Just depends on the person. My thing is top shelf fen shui. I like to keep my "prized" smokes on my top rack and in order by size, rarity, or nation of origin. I only do this on my glass top humi.