• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you look for in a humidor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
God's honest truth...what I look for in a humidor is usually cigars. :laugh:

I was pretty sure someone else would beat me to this...

First and foremost, ability to maintain humidity. I don't want to have to tend to the humidor daily for maintenance, only to remove a smoke :) Enough space to hold everything I have and a little more, and if it looks pretty that's a plus.

I was recently contacted by a fellow BOTL in Colorado who said he had a cheap humi and found that it would loose its RH due to the cedar being too thin. He said it goes right through it. I think this is something that should always be taken into consideration. The thicker the cedar the better. IMHO 3/4 should be used where ever possible. It's like a sponge holding water v/s a wet paper towel.
There use to be a veneer called sandply4 that was the ultimate veneer due to it having a foil lining between 2 pieces of paper and the wood on the top. It would have been the ultimate humi veneer but they have long since gone out of business.

My two end tables (one Aristocrate / one overseas) appear to be working the same. Both have the same device(habitat monitor) and I seem to fill them around the same time. Both are full.

I'm not sure if 1/4 vs 3/4 really maks a difference. The outer shell is usually mdx(?) board with a veneer or a nce solid wood outer.

The guy may want to try reseasoning and check the seals.

Good linky.

Is this the veneer you speak of? Interesting stuff.

Yes it sure is. I was informed about 10 years ago that they went out of business. That's great that you found them. Thank you very, very much for the link. I use to build speakers with their veneer. It's the best stuff around. I wonder if my supplier just said that so I would keep buying from him? :whistling:

My two end tables (one Aristocrate / one overseas) appear to be working the same. Both have the same device(habitat monitor) and I seem to fill them around the same time. Both are full.

I'm not sure if 1/4 vs 3/4 really maks a difference. The outer shell is usually mdx(?) board with a veneer or a nce solid wood outer.

The guy may want to try reseasoning and check the seals.

Good linky.

He said it was due to the dry climate there. I'll mention that to him though. I'll have him do the light inside the humi and lights off outside thing to check for leaks.

I'm really glad SP4 veneer is still available. Thanks again. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I don't think this is going in a good direction.

If you guys think he is running a business on your site and it isn't OK... how about you talk to the site admins? Don't you think they would step in and put a stop to him supposedly pimping his wares for a profit if they had a problem with it?

I'm sorry, maybe I missed a thread where you were all deputized as watchdogs that were meant to berate anyone you deemed to be on the wrong side of the law that you make up.

If you have a problem with what he is doing, be up front about it. Start a thread about your problem instead of hijacking one of his. Invite the people that have the keys to the kingdom to weigh in, instead of trying to goad him into saying something that will get him kicked off the site.

Talk it out like ADULTS instead of playing these internet mind games.

edit: and it is freaking sad that this brings out the most action I have seen in this place in the entire time I have been here. Use your energy constructively.

Bill said that he was going to give you a pass, however I am going to point out something you may not know. CP is a self moderated site with no admins only ht one and only owner/admin Rod, Rob, Bob, hell something like that. I have had my a$ handed to me before for stepping into a discussion I shouldn't have and I stepped back. i am not scolding you or trying ride your a$ about this but I am trying to help you out here, don't get involved in this any further or I will bet you will have a few people riding your a$ soon.

Sam

Except that the discussion seemed to take a turn from jabs and nonconstructive comments, to well thought out discussion after my post (whether it was me or the return of rod, they certainly didn't hurt.), so maybe my comments were better said than left unsaid. The "just stay out of it, you're new and don't know anything about it" thing is kinda bunk. We've got everything from teenagers to old men here, so how about we give everyone respect and listen to what everyone has to say with an unbiased ear.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and that doesn't make my views less reasonable, quite the opposite actually.

P.S. I missed the Astros game, but I saw the box score and was pleasantly surprised until I looked at the division standings... but alas, its early in the season.

Who are you? ???

That was my thought exactly when posting what I did to try to constructively let him know how to keep his nose clean here. I really didn't think I told him to "stay out" exactly but to consider this a self moderated site for which it is, nothing else. Yes I do totally agree that respect is number one here, that is why it is such a great site and I posted what I dd.

Bill, I totally agree with Rod here maybe you should post your amazing work in the retailers form, just to avoid this kind trouble in the future. What you do is great and as we can all see it is from the heart.

This thread was just about getting some new ideas to do better by my BOTL, thats all. There were no pics to begin with. That's OK though. No more humidors in the humidor section :thumbs: . I'll have something in the retail section soon. I just finished one tonight. See you there. :thumbs:

Yeah I thought we went over the precedent regarding the retailer section in some other thread almost a week ago.

As a shipmate once said to me while looking down at a steaming pile of creamed chip beef on toast, "If it ain't pretty, I ain't eatin' it. This right here, is pretty."

This solid piece of wisdom has come to mean many things to me over the years.

Now, you have the right to belong to and participate on any board you want to. You DON'T have the right not to be held accountable. If you participate on certain sites you are supporting profiteers and scumbags regardless of whether your friends participate there. Your friends are guilty too. You have the right to say what you want (within reason) here at CP. You DON'T have the right not to be held accountable for what you say.

Lastly, I wish newbler types would shut up more often.

NA

Sam, I would like to politely refer you to my previous posts. I said I wrapped it up over there. Did you not read that?

Sam, I would like to politely refer you to my previous posts. I said I wrapped it up over there. Did you not read that?

This stopped being about you some time ago.

THIS is the point we've been trying to make. Neal just makes it more eloquently.

Sorry to thread jack.
Does it really matter what other site someone is a member of? Does it cause you or you family harm? If you dislike that site so much how would someone know that someone is a contributing member there? I figure if I have nothing nice to say it would be easier to just not say anything at all. Maybe your just the type that likes to cause a fuss.
Thread jack off.

If you guys think he is running a business on your site and it isn't OK... how about you talk to the site admins? Don't you think they would step in and put a stop to him supposedly pimping his wares for a profit if they had a problem with it?

I'm sorry, maybe I missed a thread where you were all deputized as watchdogs that were meant to berate anyone you deemed to be on the wrong side of the law that you make up.

If you have a problem with what he is doing, be up front about it. Start a thread about your problem instead of hijacking one of his. Invite the people that have the keys to the kingdom to weigh in, instead of trying to goad him into saying something that will get him kicked off the site.

edit: and it is freaking sad that this brings out the most action I have seen in this place in the entire time I have been here. Use your energy constructively.
These are the comments I was addressing in my last post.

NA

Sorry to thread jack.
Does it really matter what other site someone is a member of? Does it cause you or you family harm? If you dislike that site so much how would someone know that someone is a contributing member there? I figure if I have nothing nice to say it would be easier to just not say anything at all. Maybe your just the type that likes to cause a fuss.
Thread jack off.

NA

I still don't know who they are. ???

Sorry to thread jack.
Thread jack off.

NA

Yeah, the guys with mousketeer hats on all look alike.

NA

Sorry to thread jack.
Thread jack off.

NA

NA

Thanks for bringing back another great memory!!! Damn near sprayed my Fresca all over my computer screen.

When I was a young lad in high school, the school's freshman were required to wear Mouseketeer hats. There were swift and stern consequences from the upper classmen if they did not comply. The newbs were forced to keep them on at all times until the homecoming bonfire. Then, and ONLY then, were they allowed to take them off and dispose of 'em.

'course - nowadays - we couldn't even THINK about imposing such a demeaning thing - else we raise the ire of the ACLU... :sign:

Sorry to thread jack.
Thread jack off.

NA

NA

Thanks for bringing back another great memory!!! Damn near sprayed my Fresca all over my computer screen.

When I was a young lad in high school, the school's freshman were required to wear Mouseketeer hats. There were swift and stern consequences from the upper classmen if they did not comply. The newbs were forced to keep them on at all times until the homecoming bonfire. Then, and ONLY then, were they allowed to take them off and dispose of 'em.

'course - nowadays - we couldn't even THINK about imposing such a demeaning thing - else we raise the ire of the ACLU... :sign:
It seems Mr. space doesn't like me bumping this thread and showing off his error in judgement. He pm'd me that he'd prefer to discuss this in private since he doesn't see anything wrong with his post. Okay, this is just between me and Mr. space so don't nobody else read it, mmmmkay.
Dear Mr. space,
If what you have to say can't stand the light of day then don't say it. If you are one of those who post at that other forum... stay there. This is a forum for adults. We don't delete posts, we don't have moderators, we are accountable for what we say, disputes are handled in public and anyone can comment on any thread... that doesn't mean they should.

Welcome to CP, you're welcome to leave too.

NA

Status
Not open for further replies.