• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you think of Rocky Patel?

King

I smoked a 1992 robusto RP and thought it was okay.
A little spicy. I would give it an 88.
I heard they rated high. What are other thoughts on Rocky Patel?

I met him once at a promo. He's a personable guy.

I like his smokes for the most part too. :D

I don't think much of the Indian Tabac line but I like the vintage line Rocky Patels.

The aged lines are pretty good but I find that The Punch rare corojo in that Summatra wrapper do even better for me in a Price /flavor ratio.

I had the vintage 1990 this past weekend. The wrapper was one of the best looking things that I've ever seen. The draw was absolutely outstanding, good to the 'nub as I've heard someone quote a rating. The taste was a very "aged" one. Personally, I thought the spicyness of the CAO Italia when you smoke it for the first couple of minutes was greater than the Patel. This would definitely be a smoke that I would buy. I probably will when the wife let's me out of the doghouse. :D :)

I like the patel's very much, smoothest cigar Ive ever smoked! Iam a big fan of Indian Tabac...

Rocky has been to my store twicw now, very nice guy! His brother was just in my store last week, he's also a very nice guy.

I would rate the patel's a 90 IMHO.

They did get a 91 rating awhile ago though.

-matt

Is he the guy that runs the 7-11 or the Thunderbird Motel?

Robbmt said:
The aged lines are pretty good but I find that The Punch rare corojo in that Summatra wrapper do even better for me in a Price /flavor ratio.
Yeah I agree, I'd have to say the Patel's are pretty good, but not great.

A local cigar shop bought up a bunch of unbanded/unboxed '90 Rocky Patel cigars and has been selling them for $4 a stick. I am not sure if they were seconds or what, but none of them have been plugged *yet* I have been smoking a lot of those and it is a value @ that price.

I can't get excited about spending $8 for one though as you are in the LAND of big Bucanero, AF DC, and VSG; also very near PAM Pricipe's price. If Mr Patel could get these cigars down closer to $5 they would be worth it. If you haven't tried the NATURAL Cameroon legend line they are very good and seem to be on special about everywhere lately. I have run into BOGO offers and sales that put these sticks down to the $3.50 - $4 (Magnum/Big Toro Size) instead of the $7 they used to run. These are very complex and unique. The Cameroon Legend Maduro are just NASTY IMO. I like all other RPs in Maduro though, wierd, huh? :lookup:

Matt

smokers only said:
I like the patel's very much, smoothest cigar Ive ever smoked! -matt
Better than those ISOMs that wandered home with me and found their way to your store?

Matt gifted a 90 and a 92 to me. Both were really nice, and I thought the 90 was noticably smoother to me. Good flavor aroma and draw. Haven't really tried many other Patel cigars though....

I just picked up a 90 Vintage...going to smoke it on the weekend..I'll let you know. I bought it based on a review I read in CAficianado.

I'm not a fan of Indian Tabac but I do enjoy the Rocky Patels. I think the 10 year are better than the 12 year but that could just be in my head. I would say that they are good medium full bodied cigars with some unique flavors.

I wouldn't call them great either, based on comparisons to other sticks in the same price range.

Had a sampler of both a while back, and the '90's are definitely a better smoke. But all the comments about price are right on.

IN Octobers Cigar Aficionado the 1992 Torpedo was rated at 90, the 1990 Robusto was rated at 92. I had a 1990 Torpedo this last weekend, the draw , and burn were fantastic , tons of smoke, not sure on the flavor yet , but my tast buds have been out of wack lately .

At about $8.00 a stick not to bad.:D
RP_90_4.jpg

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke! As for me... RP's are not my cup of tea.

Aloha,

Wade

The favorable comments here, all falling short of real enthusiasm, are right on, IMO. Smoked my first one this week, 90 robusto, and had exactly the same experience. Good draw, even burn, not too spicy at the end. And something about the secondary flavors that was exotic and unique.

So they are, seemingly, very consistant. That is always a good thing.

Well I been smoking RPs for awhile now and I like'm :p I,ve had the 90's & the 92's. Infact I picked up a 90 Robusto last night at a new Smoke shop in town, when did they start comming in glass tubes?

Smoked a 1992 robusto and it seemed spicy
Then smoked a bigger ring guage 1992 and it was great!
Should not they both smoke similar.

I met Rocky at a local shop a few months back....very cool guy. Smoked a 1992 with him and the conversation was very interesting. As for the smokes....on and off...IMHO.

I've had only the 1992.
It didn't really do it for me. :( I'm pretty sure I tossed it and reached for an aged black and mild. :p

Cheers,
Dixie