• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What food will you finally try in 2022?

One of my favorites. Growing up my mother had a jar in the refrigerator all the time and she just kept adding to it. Dad loved them and it was great snack food for three growing boys!

Same recipe with the eggs or without.

Eggs - Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Beets and Eggs

Ingredients

12 hardboiled eggs

2 (15 ounce) cans beets, liquid reserved

1 cup onion, thinly sliced, boil with liquid

1 cup white sugar

1 1/2 cup white vinegar

optional

1 thinly sliced onion into the hot liquid

Directions

Hard boil the eggs

Place spices, beets, onion, and peeled eggs in a non-reactive glass or plastic container. Set aside.

In a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup reserved beet juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

Pour hot liquid over beets and eggs. Cover, and refrigerate 48 hours before using.
That was a treat for me growing up in western Pa. I can't eat raw onions but they add a great flavor. The key for us was adding the hot liquid because when mom made them cold it took too long for them to pickle, and we got whacked if we got caught eating them before they were ready.

Try adding a few jalapenos to it.

I also made them with pepperoncinis instead of beets, went over well.

One of my favorites. Growing up my mother had a jar in the refrigerator all the time and she just kept adding to it. Dad loved them and it was great snack food for three growing boys!

Same recipe with the eggs or without.

Eggs - Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Beets and Eggs

Ingredients

12 hardboiled eggs

2 (15 ounce) cans beets, liquid reserved

1 cup onion, thinly sliced, boil with liquid

1 cup white sugar

1 1/2 cup white vinegar

optional

1 thinly sliced onion into the hot liquid

Directions

Hard boil the eggs

Place spices, beets, onion, and peeled eggs in a non-reactive glass or plastic container. Set aside.

In a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup reserved beet juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

Pour hot liquid over beets and eggs. Cover, and refrigerate 48 hours before using.
Thank you for sharing... I'm going to try this.

That was a treat for me growing up in western Pa. I can't eat raw onions but they add a great flavor. The key for us was adding the hot liquid because when mom made them cold it took too long for them to pickle, and we got whacked if we got caught eating them before they were ready.

Try adding a few jalapenos to it.

I also made them with pepperoncinis instead of beets, went over well.
Jeff do you mean Peppercinni's instead of Jalapeno?

I agree ... but the health benefits are tremendous. That's why I'm trying to eat them. Not a fan myself.

Agreed. I think there are better ways to get the benefits of beets, then eating beets!

I agree, by themselves. Have you tried them pickled?

I have not. I’ve watched my FIL eat enough beets at a buffet, to kill a cow. Kind of turned me off, LOL. Like I said above, I need to find an alternative to eating them, but at the same time, getting the benefits from them.

Agreed. I think there are better ways to get the benefits of beets, then eating beets!

I have not. I’ve watched my FIL eat enough beets at a buffet, to kill a cow. Kind of turned me off, LOL. Like I said above, I need to find an alternative to eating them, but at the same time, getting the benefits from them.
They make eggs taste pretty darn good and when they are pickled with eggs, I love to eat the beets as well. If I just eat beets raw, they taste like dirt.

We had jars and jars of pickled beets growing up from my mom's garden. I always had to eat them, no way in hell I will now that I have a choice.
Just imagine if you had posted this back during the great newbie war of 2007? You would have gotten a bomb filled with pickled beets!

Have you tried cutting them up into bite size pieces, drizzle them with EVOO and S&P and bake at 350 until tender. Just before serving spread some crumbled blue cheese on top. Goes with anything but fish!

Ummm, no. I might try them, with some other cheese. Not a blue cheese fan either!

Next time you visit, I am going to "try to" teach you how to enjoy red wine. It's a must with certain dishes and, as Julia says, while cooking.
A nice steak cooked medium rare paired with a nice red. That was the "aha" moment for me many years back. Being instructed by my buddy to eat a bite of steak, and then a sip of wine and concentrate on what I was tasting. That's when it all started to click.

A nice steak cooked medium rare paired with a nice red. That was the "aha" moment for me many years back. Being instructed by my buddy to eat a bite of steak, and then a sip of wine and concentrate on what I was tasting. That's when it all started to click.
I always hated dry red wine. Then I met a lady who was a connoisseur of sorts and I soon began to love Cabernet.