• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What music are you listening to currently?

The Grace Potter version above put a bug in my ear and I thought I would binge listen to all the Neil Young versions of Cortez The Killer I had. Doing that only solidified my opinion that Neil Young while not a technically great guitarist knows the one thing a really great guitar player has to have - knowing what not to play. These versions span 42 years, with and without backing bands, electric and acoustic and every one is a gem in it's own way.
So with a 10 year old Don Carlos and 4 fingers of Laphroaig 18 this is how I spent 2.5 hours of my weekend with Cortez
(Album or live show - year)
Zuma - 1975
Hammersmith Odeon London 3/31/76
Live Rust (not the same as the Cow palace below) 10/78
Cow Palace 10/22/78
Birmingham UK 6/2/87
Weld (Ragged Glory Tour) 3/91
Live in Salzberg w/Pearl Jam 8/18/95
Paramount Oakland CA 3/20/99
Mountain View CA 10/31/99
Rock in Rio 1/20/01
Rock Platz 5/18/2002
Farm Aid 9/18/17

I have a few others but once I was done the scotch and cigar I wasn't ready for round 2

Every time I see Satriani play it makes me want to give up playing myself! I don't understand how someone's fingers can move like that?

Every time I see Satriani play it makes me want to give up playing myself! I don't understand how someone's fingers can move like that?
And he's in his 60's to boot!

Had some plumbing problems so for the first time in ages I listed to the radio for about 8 hours straight.

A bootleg for decades (supposedly one of the top 100 boots ever) this came out as an official release in 2003. Surprisingly good recording and I recommend it for any fan.
GUEST_735a038b-9417-47e3-99ff-d2aa0d51362f

Way back in 1962 Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys (with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards along with Dick Taylor) were recruited by a guy looking to start a band. His name was Brian Jones and they decided to call the band The Rolling Stones. Dick Taylor was a guitar player but the band already had enough of those so he was recruited to play bass. After six months Dick was accepted into Art School in London and quit the band. Shortly after arriving in school he got the bug again and formed The Pretty Things. Never popular in the US (probably because they were fairly mediocre IMO) they had 3 top 20 hits in the UK and did well in Germany and Australia. For this their first album think of every cliche guitar sound of the early 60's and stuff it into a 12 song 30 minute record. Interesting but not something you could listen to very often. This might be only the second time I've played it in 20 years.

Get_the_picture_cover.jpg

Last edited:
Foir me this is possibly the least interesting of the Bootleg Series so far. Mostly out-takes that don't really show any progress from rehearsal to actual recording. As a collector you sometime run into this so even if not great you have to have it.

5dc5c5ce345f9.image.jpg

Foir me this is possibly the least interesting of the Bootleg Series so far. Mostly out-takes that don't really show any progress from rehearsal to actual recording. As a collector you sometime run into this so even if not great you have to have it.

5dc5c5ce345f9.image.jpg
c
Ain't that the truth. I'm not fond of any of Dylan's outwardly Christian albums, like "Slow Train Coming", but I have to own them.

Doc

And now for something completely different

4eee5cb4-26e7-46a2-83b9-0cae78971ba4_1.0b1f2baa2c307056005766aadde366d0.jpeg

While not music it is all about the music. As someone who spent way too much time and money in the Tower on Sunset. I'd hang out there for hours waiting until 9pm to take a walk the 7 blocks down to Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco where 9:30 was way too early but the bartender had been a Marine so we got along. This is a great DVD if you lived through the era.

large_large_5jyu2mzakhvhgqdo8uko2ob0mco.jpg

I'd been to the one in Sherman Oaks a few times, though a few doors down was Moby Disc which was primarily a second-hand music shop which is where I typically went circa the 90's.

Also old enough to remember Music+.

53 years ago the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival started on this date. While the performers are now legendary that wasn't really the case in 1967. This was The Who's first major concert in the US, Janis Joplin's major concert debut, The largest concert for The Animals who had already toured the US 3 times by then. The largest concert up to that point for The Jefferson Airplane and The Grateful Dead and it was the show that allowed 2 black artists to explode into white American music. The indomitable Otis Redding and of course, Jimi Hendrix. What few people there realized is that both Redding and Hendrix had played hundreds of shows in the US either on the "chitlin circuit" as in the case of Otis or as a backing player for the likes of the Isley Brothers, Little Richard, Curtis Knight and others for Jimi.

Available on DVD or Blu-ray with newly mixed stereo and multichannel. I'm partial to the Stereo mix myself. Shown is the Criterion Collection.
51U9EOXmhaL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:
Vladimir Horowitz, Live at the Vienna Opera House 1987. The man is 83 and plays as in his 50's. The complexity, dexterity, intonations, feelings are superb. The pieces chosen with the audience taken into consideration. The finger-work is dazzling, blinding at points, and yet where required, ppp. Just a pleasure to listen to.