• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What music are you listening to currently?

Going back even further then the above all the way to 1968 - The Band Music From Big Pink 50th Anniversry blu-ray. Robbie Robertson told Bob Clearmountain the engineer in charge of the new mix that the original version couldn't be touched up because it was like a home made painting and you would see where the corrections were made. That may be true but it doesn't mean that the painting can't be cleaned up. This new remix with the help of perhaps the best Mastering Engineer ever - Bob Ludwig has a depth and clarity that couldn't even be imagined in 1968. The bass rumbles, little drum fills become noticeable and the vocals shine like never before. One of the best remastering jobs I have ever heard.

The only complaint has nothing to dowith the music but with the choice of bonus songs. The 2000 double CD remaster has a few songs not on the Blu-ray. It isn't like there wasn't enough room and I don't think 3 more songs would put them over budget.

510sg2%2BiT5L.jpg

I got my car washed yesterday and pulled up in the queue behind a nice convertible red caddy. Didn't think much of it. Walked around to the front of the car wash to wait and passed by some other dude. Sat down and maybe 15 minutes later I hear the other patrons ask about the caddy. The owner, the guy I had passed said he got it maybe a year ago. When he got up to get his car I looked at him and he looked familiar. Looked up DJ Lethal on Instagram and sure enough it was the same dude. Scrolled through his posts and saw a pic of the same caddy. He drove away before I could say whats up. So in honor, I'm listening to some HoP.

I got my car washed yesterday and pulled up in the queue behind a nice convertible red caddy. Didn't think much of it. Walked around to the front of the car wash to wait and passed by some other dude. Sat down and maybe 15 minutes later I hear the other patrons ask about the caddy. The owner, the guy I had passed said he got it maybe a year ago. When he got up to get his car I looked at him and he looked familiar. Looked up DJ Lethal on Instagram and sure enough it was the same dude. Scrolled through his posts and saw a pic of the same caddy. He drove away before I could say whats up. So in honor, I'm listening to some HoP.

While I know who DJ Lethal is I wou;dn't have a clue what he looked like so good for you!

The name seemed familiar and I was going to dig around the collection to see if I had any of her work. I found what I think is her first album "Young Girl Blues" from '92. Not exactly sure why she fell off my radar but after re-listening to that first album I'm going to guess it was because the production was so bad with too much echo and reverb in some songs it made it a chore to listen to. Or 28 years ago something else turned me off. What I heard from the new album you posted is much better.

Here's another from the depths. Doc probably has this one or if not he should. I got this because Jethro Tull was pretty much the backing band and it was produced by Ian Anderson. Not as Tull like as I thought it would be but not bad.

Woman_in_the_wings_cover.jpg

By the time this album was released in 1971 Ry Cooder had already played with Captain Beefheart, lost a spot at the Monterey Pop festival, done session work with the Rolling stones, worked with Randy Newman and Van Dyke Parks - all by the age of 24. 50 years later there are few in the business who have done as much as Ry. From film scores to writing, producing, session work, collaboration and being on the cutting edge of technology Ry has done it all.

However it is his love of hidden American music that made me pull out "Into The Purple Valley" today. I just got that itch for what I call (for lack of a better term) down home music. Not really Americana, not country or Appilachia but something that makes you think of all of those and Ry Cooder is about the only one out there who can do that.

PurpleValleyCooder.jpg

Last edited:
50 years ago today (It was last Friday for the UK) the best solo Beatle album was release George Harrison's "ALL THINGS MUST PASS" A triple album of a decades worth of songwriting frustration finally let out. George was always allowed a song or two on the Beatle albums but he had so many more that were ignored or pushed aside for the more radio (and girl) friendly Lennon & McCartney tunes.

1970 saw the release of the sminal Plastic Ono Band by Lennon and McCartney by McCartney and Beaucoup Of Blues by Ringo but none could compete with the sheer depth and breadth of All Things Must Pass. I'm waiting for the complete Blu-ray special edition which I had hoped would come out for the anniversary but nothing yet. There was a 24/96 remastered download that came out for the 40th Anni that is the best you can get at the moment.

713RlMv2vHL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished watching the MoPop Founders Award show for Alice in Chains. Some really great covers. Two that blew me away was Dallas Green covering "Rain When I Die" at the 1:07:10 mark, and then the following song, Liv Warfield covering "Put You Down" at the 1:12:47 mark. If you're an AIC fan, definitely give it a listen.

Just finished watching the MoPop Founders Award show for Alice in Chains. Some really great covers. Two that blew me away was Dallas Green covering "Rain When I Die" at the 1:07:10 mark, and then the following song, Liv Warfield covering "Put You Down" at the 1:12:47 mark. If you're an AIC fan, definitely give it a listen.

I'll definitely check yours out. People were raving about the Metallica one so I checked it out. Meh

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Can’t understand a damn thing he is singing about but good music is good music

Saw City & Color a couple years back at a small venue in Dallas, it was a great show... Dallas Green is a great talent!!!

While listening to a Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra plat list in YouTube music, I came across Skabidean, a ska band singing in the local Basque. Nice tunes. Also listening to Disorden Publico.