• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What you got cooking tonight?

Boar's Frito Pie of the Gods tonight!

This is a simple Texas recipe I got from my mom and then souped up quite a bit:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Tsp. Mongolian Fire Oil
1 medium to large Texas Sweet onion, diced
1 lb. ground something---I like 90/10 ground sirloin, but every once in awhile, ground brisket shows up here. That stuff makes GREAT chili!

Saute the diced onions in the oil until clear, then crumble and brown the meat in the onions. I actually make this stuff in a wok, which works great.

Spice list:

Chili powder. Do not MEASURE! Add, mixing in, until meat is good and red. Then add about half again as much MORE. More chili powder doesn't make chili hotter, it just makes it better.

Add to taste: salt, fresh ground black pepper, paprika, cumin, cayenne. Those last three DO make it hotter. Especially the second day, after it's set a spell!

Also add: Trappey's Red Devil, Tabasco Jalapeno, and about a capful of Liquid Smoke.

1 can Rotel, Original or Chili Fixins
1 can Diced Chipotle Tomatos
1 can chili, no beans. I like Stagg's Steakhouse or Wolf Hot. This adds masa for thickening and also means you won't have to simmer it all day to get that slow-cooked taste.

Taste, adjust, simmer for an hour or two. Serve over Fritos corn chips with grated mild cheddar cheese on top. Cornbread, pickled jalapenos, and Shiner Bock on the side!

At least there's no beans. Fritos are a nice touch.
laugh.gif
And MILD cheddar. God how do you survive on (and I use the term loosely) such food.

Doc.

I ain't taking it to phookin' Terlingua, Doc.

Frito Pie is NOT serious chili, for cryin' out loud. But it's one of Texas' national dishes, and mighty darn tasty.

Mild cheddar melts better; English and New York style aged cheddars are too sharp and the flavors don't combine as well. Like a good Philly cheese steak, the whole is more than the sum of its parts. ;)

~Boar

See, there ya go. The best cheddar comes from Vermont. Cabot, Vt. to be exact.

Doc.

Homemade meatballs tonight mixed with ground veal and beef among some other ingredients in a tomato sauce doctored up, paired with some red zin. Yum yum!

Doc.

Yes! Love that stuff!

One aspect I love is how great it tastes when melted, or added to something like a loaded baked potato soup. The low fat varieties are also untouchable.

edit for spelling.

A pair of New York strips and drunk chicken on the grill. Smoking a Boli PC and drinking Amber Bock.

Doc.

Yes! Love that stuff!

One aspect I love is how great it tastes when melted, or added to something like a loaded baked potato soup. The low fat varieties are also untouchable.

edit for spelling.

You ain't going to believe this, but I had a flatlander ask me once why we took the yellow color out.
ohmy.gif

Doc.

Doc.

Yes! Love that stuff!

edit for spelling.

You ain't going to believe this, but I had a flatlander ask me once why we took the yellow color out.
ohmy.gif

Doc.

:laugh: ROTF!

I love Cabot, but I really love proper English Cheddar......Extra Sharp!

Man I feel like such a 2nd rate cheese eater now.... Now off to make a black and bleu burger with the Pt. Reyes Bleu I just picked up in erm... Pt. Reyes. Also why DO you take the yellow out of your Cabot and why do you mush all the slices together in a block?

Bump to get this thread going again...

Back in February the commissary actually stocked real beef short ribs as opposed to the thin-cut flanken style. I'm thawing a package that I'll cook up in a homemade barbecue sauce-- my mother's recipe-- and serve them on some egg noodles.

Thanks to our resident Italian cook giving me his recipe, we had and awesome dinner of Chicken Cacciatore over angel hair pasta last night.

Wasn't a scrap left with the children whining because they wanted more.

Talk about hitting the spot! :love:

Soaking a whole chicken in a lemon brine this afternoon. Then I plan on coating it in some herbes de provence with olive oil and garlic before it goes on the grill.

Soaking a whole chicken in a lemon brine this afternoon. Then I plan on coating it in some herbes de provence with olive oil and garlic before it goes on the grill.

Sounds like a French venereal disease.
laugh.gif

Doc.

Thanks to our resident Italian cook giving me his recipe, we had and awesome dinner of Chicken Cacciatore over angel hair pasta last night.

Wasn't a scrap left with the children whining because they wanted more.

Talk about hitting the spot! :love:

Now that is a Recipe my family didn't really have. They used to just simmmer chicken pieces in Tomato Sauce. I'm wondering if a true Cacciatore ( I think it means "Hunter's Chicken") would be more rustic? I would like to get that recipe if it is ok?

Here you go, Monk.

You'll need:

X-tra virgin Olive oil

2 cloves of garlic

Large red bell pepper, cut into pieces

Fresh crimini mushrooms

Pkg of dried porcini mushrooms, re-hydrated

1 can San Marinzano tomatoes, crushed

1 chicken cut into pieces.

1/2 cup dry white wine.

Salt and pepper to taste

Basil and oregano, if you must.

Large heavy bottomed non-reactive pot

Cover the bottom of the pot with the oil. Heat til almost smoking. Brown chicken pieces. Remove. Turn down the heat and add a little more oil if necessary. Brown the garlic then the red pepper. Don't burn the garlic. You can add a little white wine to deglaze the pan at this point. Add the chicken, tomatoes and the mushrooms. Simmer until done. About an hour and a half or so. Add the basil just before it's done. Too much heat ruins it. Serve the sauce on angel hair pasta or anything that suits you.

Hope it works out for you. BTW, this recipe works really well with rabbit.

Doc.

Basil and oregano, if you must.

Doc.

Only those unsavory Southern Italians use Basil or Oregano. :laugh:

My family is Southern Italian (Corato and Bari). That is just a fairy tale, started by the Northern Italians :whistling:

Thanks a lot Doc, for the recipe. Gonna try it this week. Seems like the basil or oregano would kill the mushrooms flavor, so not gonna even consider it.

Brined Roast Rack of Pork with Apple Chutney and Sour Mash Sauce for the old man tomorrow with some garlic roasted green beans.