• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats in your glass right now? 2013

Way to pop that cherry TP.  I for one am a huge fan of both scotch and bourbon, but then again...I'm pretty much a fan of anything with alcohol in it, so I might not be the best example in this situation.  

Enjoyed a 1990 Aberlour 21yo yesterday, compliments of Rob300c.  Fantastic single malt.  Very aromatic, but smooth.  Green apple on the front and honey on the back.  It was truly exceptional.  I'll be hunting down a bottle of that soon.  Thanks Rob.

Tall Paul said:

Popped my scotch cherry last night. It was very enjoyable but also very strong and aromatic. Just with the glass sitting on the table the wife shocked how strong it smelled. Over time I see this getting more and more enjoyable.

Paul

I've been working on my taste for Scotch for about a year now and I'm still not quite there.  It certainly is distinctive in its aroma and taste, and while I don't dislike it, it just doesn't appeal to me like bourbon.

I'm working on it though.

I'm going to give bourbon a shot as well. I'm just not use to drinking booze strait unless its in a shot glass....   :laugh:

Like Doc said a few months back, it's rare to find a person that likes both bourbon & scotch. 

That's why I wonder if I'll like bourbon better.

Any recommendations for something decent in a small bottle would be great!

Knob Creek. A bourbon with training wheels.

Smooth, clean finish and doesn't have that dry 'mouth feel' as some other bourbons. I find the higher proof smooths out the flavor a bit and takes away from the heat.  :thumbs:

PS: It goes nicely with a cigar too!

Tall Paul said:

Popped my scotch cherry last night. It was very enjoyable but also very strong and aromatic. Just with the glass sitting on the table the wife shocked how strong it smelled. Over time I see this getting more and more enjoyable.

Paul

I've been working on my taste for Scotch for about a year now and I'm still not quite there.  It certainly is distinctive in its aroma and taste, and while I don't dislike it, it just doesn't appeal to me like bourbon.

I'm working on it though.

I'm going to give bourbon a shot as well. I'm just not use to drinking booze strait unless its in a shot glass....   :laugh:

Like Doc said a few months back, it's rare to find a person that likes both bourbon & scotch. 

That's why I wonder if I'll like bourbon better.

Any recommendations for something decent in a small bottle would be great!

Give Four Roses Small Batch or Hirsch Small Batch Reserve a try. They aren't too hard to find, reasonably priced and pretty good starter bourbons.

Nice selections proposed. On the scotch side there is Bowmore who makes small bottles and it should give a very different profile than the Glenlivet.
Or if you are lucky you might find a Bruichladich tasters pack. They were around a couple of years ago but are nowhere to be found in my neck of the woods.

Edit: I rewrote half the post as I wrote it half assed.

Paul it's nice that you have crossed over to the dark side. Your welcomed to try whatever you want over my place. Besides it gives me an excuse to smoke.  :laugh:

Light this! said:
Paul it's nice that you have crossed over to the dark side. Your welcomed to try whatever you want over my place. Besides it gives me an excuse to smoke.  :laugh:

Thursday or Friday looks like its going to warm up a bit or we can always meet at twins for a smoke after work! Spring needs to get here soon I want to play some domino's and smoke some cigars.  :thumbs:

Scotch labeled aged with other woods or double wood. In my noob opinion. Glenmorangie, dalmore, or glenlevit. I enjoy glenlevit 12, chivas 12, and dalmore cigar malt (pricey). Jim beam, makers mark, and knob creek are my experiences with bourbon. So far I like both. Usually an ice cube or a few drops of water change the experience.

C

Funny I am not a fan of heavy wood in my scotch. I say try some Paul and you'll figure fast enough if you are a peat / smoke guy or a wood finish kind of guy (wich should open the door wider for Bourbon)

Paul, try a quality Rye. The NHSLC has a good selection from pricey to reasonable. Whistlepig, Templeton, Knob Creek, and Bulliet.  My favorite is Templeton. Whistlepig is a bit pricey. Besides, it's the whiskey that won the West.

Doc 

Hank I will stop in by the end of the week and see what they have. Thanks brother!

Tall Paul said:
Hank I will stop in by the end of the week and see what they have. Thanks brother!
Come to KC.  We'll get you scotch educated.  And Rye.  And beer.  And....well, you can see where this headed.

thechenman said:
Way to pop that cherry TP.  I for one am a huge fan of both scotch and bourbon, but then again...I'm pretty much a fan of anything with alcohol in it, so I might not be the best example in this situation.  

Enjoyed a 1990 Aberlour 21yo yesterday, compliments of Rob300c.  Fantastic single malt.  Very aromatic, but smooth.  Green apple on the front and honey on the back.  It was truly exceptional.  I'll be hunting down a bottle of that soon.  Thanks Rob.

You are welcome Dave!
That scotch reminded me how much I used to enjoy scotch!

I have been on a huge bourbon and rye kick lately.
Can't go wrong with Templeton it blows the doors off Whistlepig for the $$$.

Right now I am working on a 2nd stiff Handy Sazerac Rye.
Damn fine juice.

-Rob

I had a couple tastes of Pappy Van Winkle 23.  Way too much wood.

Then to switch it up I had some Glenmorangie Artein.  That is a very refined dram.

khari said:

Then to switch it up I had some Glenmorangie Artein.  That is a very refined dram.
I'll gladly take the remaining bourbon left in the bottle of PVW 23!!!  PM for my addy!  :love:

Floyd T.

3 Horses Holland Lager Beer .its give a haven touch in  mind. awesome taste .

3 Horses Holland Lager Beer .its give a haven touch in mind. awesome taste .

This is a thread for spirits, not beer

Stop posting. Post an intro, then read for about 6 months before posting again.

This will give you time to fix your horrible translation and learn how to participate constructively in this community.

SKYDIVNEKD said:

I'll gladly take the remaining bourbon left in the bottle of PVW 23!!!  PM for my addy!  :love:

Floyd T.

Very kind of you to offer to take it off my hands, Floyd!  I'll keep it though.  :laugh: