• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Lamb sliders with mint, Rosemary and garlic; topped with grilled beet root, red onions and Gorgonzola cheese served on Nan with a mixed green salad.

gallery_11575_1361_73671.jpg

Nihon_Ni said:
I stopped at Whole Foods in Richmond on my way home from the airport yesterday. The take included scallops, beef heart, ground lamb, organic beets, brown eggs, bulgar wheat, sea salt, and dry rubbed bacon.

The first creation was seared scallops with celery root and carrot puree, and bacon wrapped roasted asparagus. There's room for improvement, but it was a pretty good start.

gallery_11575_1361_24934.jpg

What are your plans for the beef heart?  Also, great looking scallops. :thumbs:

MoeCizlak said:
I stopped at Whole Foods in Richmond on my way home from the airport yesterday. The take included scallops, beef heart, ground lamb, organic beets, brown eggs, bulgar wheat, sea salt, and dry rubbed bacon.

The first creation was seared scallops with celery root and carrot puree, and bacon wrapped roasted asparagus. There's room for improvement, but it was a pretty good start.

What are your plans for the beef heart?  Also, great looking scallops. :thumbs:

I think I'm going to sear it then braise it in wine to make a stew.  It's cold and rainy today and stew seems like it will hit the spot.

I think the scallops could have cooked a bit longer.  When I took them out of the pan they looked perfect, but by the time I let them rest the crust got soggy because there were pretty rare in the middle.  I cooked them for 90 seconds on each side, but I think they could have used most of another minute.

It's nothing fancy, but I whipped up a 10lb batch of granola!

photo_zpseea35c2d.jpg

It's nothing fancy, but I whipped up a 10lb batch of granola!
photo_zpseea35c2d.jpg

Granola?...wait, you really made GRANOLA? Please tell me you put 4lbs of bacon in it.

We post good food to eat and you take a picture (an crappy one too) of granola...will you stop already CJ, you're an embarrassment to this thread! :laugh:

And just like that, your out of my will Gary! :laugh:

Peanut butter caramel apple crumble top pie. I have a picture, but it's a crappy picture as Gary says from my iPhone.

Come on CJ... You know you didn't post that pic cause you feared Paul's Pizza Rolls would put it to shame!!  :laugh:

gallery_7344_1674_185802.jpg

Honey and herb marinated pork chop, stuffed w/ goat cheese, caramelized vegetables and kale. Served over mashed potatoes and finished w/ steamed kale and a traditional beurre blanc.

Sorry for the iphone photo.

The beef heart stew turned out great but it didn't photograph well.  The wife enjoyed it but told me later that she was drawing the line at any kind of kidney or liver.  Too bad!  I thought we got over our squeamish eatery when we lived in Japan and learned to eat things like, raw horse, whale & goat, squid ink, fermented soy beans, pig ear salad, seaweed, etc.  I guess I'll have to work on her a bit more!

The Whole Foods bounty ended with a pot of beet green and bulgar wheat soup with soft poached eggs.  I found this recipe in Fine Cooking magazine last year and it's a big hit in my house.

gallery_11575_1361_7864.jpg

That looks awesome.  I've been looking for beef heart and tongue around here.  Been wanting to try tongue tacos and looking for a heart recipe.  Thanks.

MoeCizlak said:
That looks awesome.  I've been looking for beef heart and tongue around here.  Been wanting to try tongue tacos and looking for a heart recipe.  Thanks.
How fancy do you want to get? It's been years since I've had beef heart, but deer heart isn't all that different and we have that a few times a year. I put it in a nice hearty stew in a dutch oven and serve it with mashed taters or egg noodles. It also goes in with my chili grind and sometimes I use it in meatloaf. This is all the same stuff we used to do with beef heart growing up.

Tongue is something I've never made, but I ate it a lot growing up. It was always boiled with some spices and seasoning, peeled, then boiled a little more, then sliced thin and eaten on sandwiches. Sometimes we would fry the slices the same way as fried bologna sandwiches (lots of onions and a nice thick slice of tomater).

It sure isn't haute cuisine, but GD it tastes good.

I'm surprised you're having trouble finding heart and tongue. When did the Iowegians start turning up their noses at good, hearty (no pun intended), Midwestern fare? Next you'll tell me you can't find pork brains...

Do deer have cloven hooves?

Yeah, I can't believe I'm having a hard time with the heart and tongue either.

But they don't chew cud either, do they?  I'm going to have to look up camels for clarification.

Farm raised deer can be kosher. I don't think deer taken while hunting can be kosher, though.

This camera has got to go.  :angry:

Grilled Rib Eye with bacon fried sweet corn and bacon smother baked beans.

100_2966_zps59d30165.jpg