• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Jerked some chicken on the grill and zucchini with fresh from the garden heirloom tomatoes. Delicious.

Last Tuesday we had more apocalyptic rain storms (and minor flooding for a change :rolleyes: ) that lasted over half the day...my neighbors house got hit by lightning, the high winds blew most folks outdoor furniture into the lagoons & bay, lost power for quite some time, and almost all the low lying roads & highways were flooded and closed from the tremendous amount of rain that fell in such a short period of time...and it got chilly after the storm too.

I have one remedy for that...SOUP.

Had some kielbasi in the fridge...some onion, celery, baby carrots, minced garlic, nuked some frozen chicken broth from the freezer, added in a can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with green chiles, and diced up two whole potatoes....and threw in some fresh parsley at the end along with some fresh ground pepper. Broke out a sleeve of Ritz crackers and I had a bone warming bowl of spicy soup that chased that wet chill away. It took all of 15 minutes to prepare and it cooked as I changed out of my damp clothes and had a few scotches...

Soup_zpsbcfb6e4a.jpg

Looking for great mashed potatoes? Try this recipe on for size. The best potatoes are still classic russet potatoes giving a great flavor and full-bodied feel. Take a full bulb of garlic, cut off the top, coat with olive oil and roast in the oven at 325F for 30 minutes. Take out and let it cool. Peel and cut potatoes and add to salted boiling water with one diced onion. After potatoes are fork tender, remove, strain and return to the pot. Take roasted garlic and remove from cloves directly into the pot. Add 1 full stick of butter for 5lbs of potatoes and 2 cups of cream. Add 1 tablespoon of chicken bouillon and mash well. Enjoy!

CigarInspector said:
Looking for great mashed potatoes? Try this recipe on for size. The best potatoes are still classic russet potatoes giving a great flavor and full-bodied feel. Take a full bulb of garlic, cut off the top, coat with olive oil and roast in the oven at 325F for 30 minutes. Take out and let it cool. Peel and cut potatoes and add to salted boiling water with one diced onion. After potatoes are fork tender, remove, strain and return to the pot. Take roasted garlic and remove from cloves directly into the pot. Add 1 full stick of butter for 5lbs of potatoes and 2 cups of cream. Add 1 tablespoon of chicken bouillon and mash well. Enjoy!

Oh man...I just bought a sleeve of garlic ta-boot! :D

Baked Pork Tenderloin with tomato glaze. Take a thick cut of pork tenderloin chops, cut them in half, then dry rub with season salt and paprika. Take fresh red and yellow grape tomatoes and cut into quarters, dice garlic and onions and sauté with butter. Add equal amounts of ketchup, tamarind sauce and Cattle Boys BBQ sauce. Lay pork tenderloin in oven safe container, add sauce on top and bake until ready. A zingy and flavorful sauce.

Marinating two 1 1/2" thick porterhouse pork chops in a concoction of

Apple cider (1c)
Honey (4tbs)
Soy sauce (2 Tbs)
Dark sesame oil (4Tbs)
Sage (dried, 1tsp...fresh, 3Tbs)
Zest of half a lemon with the juice
Ginger (ground, 1tsp...fresh, two 3" long strips)
Two cloves of smashed garlic
Two stalks of chopped green onion

Stir all that together and throw the chops in a baggie, cover them with the marinade, and put in the fridge for 3-4 hours. When done, put the marinade in a pan and reduce it by a 1/3 and whisk in 4 tablespoons of butter at the end to make the sauce. Grill the chops over high heat for about 4-5 minutes per side, cover with the sauce and there you have it.

Also making some homemade mac & cheese w/tri-color macaroni, topped with some buttered (and hickory smoked salt) panko bread crumbs. Add in some baked apples stuffed with crumbled ginger snaps and covered with creamed butter that contains brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. The kitchen smells great!

I'll see if I can snap some pics before we devour this meal  :laugh:

Chop_zps9c28eb10.jpg

Tri-color macaroni? Turn in your Sons Of Italy card.

Doc

Just took a pork butt out of the smoker.  24 hours at 225 degrees.  Damn it's good.

AVB's Eastern North Carolina Style Pork Sauce.

1 cup Apple cider vinegar
1 cup White vinegar
1 Tbs Cayenne pepper
1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbs Onion powder
1 tsp Hot sauce (I use a basic red pepper sauce like Tabasco or Pete's unless I want it hotter)
3 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 Tbs Dark Brown sugar.

Put everything in a bowl, nuke it for 45-60 seconds to warm it up so everything dissolves better. Stir and serve or store in fridge.. 

Can be used hot or cold but hot is better IMO.

Homemade chicken pot pies to die for!

Crust (can also use two Pillsbury refrigerated ones to save time):

6 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon fine salt
3 teaspoon granulated sugar
24 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (3 sticks), cut into small pieces
12 to 15 tablespoons ice water

Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and stir briefly until the mixture is aerated. Using a pastry blender or a sturdy fork, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until its in pea-size pieces that are slightly yellow in color, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Drizzle in 10 tablespoons of the ice water and mix just until the dough comes together. (Add the last tablespoons of ice water if necessary, but dont overwork the dough or itll become tough.)
Shape the dough into four even sized flat disk, cover them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Filling:

3 boneless chicken breast cubed into bite size pieces.
Celery bunch
7 large carrots
1 medium to large onion.
1 tin of peas
1/4 - 1/2 Tsp celery seed
Salt & Pepper to taste
All purpose Flour
3/4 cup of milk.
8 Tablespoons of butter (one stick)
2 cups of chicken broth

Peel the carrots and the cut into slices
Remove the first outer layer of large celery and set aside. Cut the remaining celery heart and leaves into slices.
Peel and chop the onion.
In a large pan add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 3/4 stick of butter over medium heat.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, celery seed, and salt/pepper. Cook until nice and tender stirring gently and frequently.

While the vegetables are sautéing cool the chicken cubes in the remaining butter until done. Drain off the liquid and add to the vegetables. Add the remaining chicken broth, milk, and drained tin of peas. Bring to a simmer.
Using a sifter add flour gradually to bring the chicken broth and milk to a desired thickness. You can add more milk if needed to ensure plenty of sauce. Taste as you go to see if more salt, or pepper is needed.

Once done, fill two 9 inch pie pans with chilled pie crust already lined at bottoms. Immediately top with ready remaining crust making a tight seal around the edges. Cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Brush with egg wash and quickly ( to prevent soggy crust) place in a preheated 425 degree oven for 35 minutes.

Devil Doc said:
Tri-color macaroni? Turn in your Sons Of Italy card.

Doc

Come on Hank, I had a pound left over from the Summer when I make macaroni salad...you know how we're taught, it's a sin to waste food!

Yea? Well Macaroni salad is Midigon food. Not to mention being an infamnia.

Doc

Devil Doc said:

Doc
and Basil is for the uncouth......

Doc
And New Jersey Italians who also call sauce gravy. I remember the first time someone called my mother's sauce gravy. We had to restrain her.

Doc

Devil Doc said:

Doc
And New Jersey Italians who also call sauce gravy. I remember the first time someone called my mother's sauce gravy. We had to restrain her.

Doc

LMAO!