• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Perhaps my favorite batch of mole I've made. All I added to the paste was peanut butter, chocolate chips, and beef broth. It has everything I want. Sweetness balanced with a little bitter. Spiciness without being too much. Deep, dark, savory and a perfect consistency.

302nimb.jpg
What’s in the Mole sauce?

In general? At it's basis a mole sauce is a chile sauce and along with different roasted chilies, it can contain numerous components. It's a notoriously labor intensive sauce to make which is why I've never made one from scratch, but used pastes to start and then add what I feel like. Perhaps the most well known version incorporates chocolate in it which gives the sauce a sweetness that is balanced by the bitter, earthy and savory aspects of the sauce. And of course the chilies bring some heat to the equation. Not all mole sauces have chocolate in them, though. But they all start with chilies.

In general? At it's basis a mole sauce is a chile sauce and along with different roasted chilies, it can contain numerous components. It's a notoriously labor intensive sauce to make which is why I've never made one from scratch, but used pastes to start and then add what I feel like. Perhaps the most well known version incorporates chocolate in it which gives the sauce a sweetness that is balanced by the bitter, earthy and savory aspects of the sauce. And of course the chilies bring some heat to the equation. Not all mole sauces have chocolate in them, though. But they all start with chilies.
Sorry, I should have asked my question differently.........What did you put the Mole sauce on? I'm not a huge chocolate fan but my wife is and we both loves us some heat so I've always wanted to give it a shot. Haven't done much research yet but when I make my mind up to do it I'll source the heck out of it.

Sorry, I should have asked my question differently.........What did you put the Mole sauce on? I'm not a huge chocolate fan but my wife is and we both loves us some heat so I've always wanted to give it a shot. Haven't done much research yet but when I make my mind up to do it I'll source the heck out of it.
I just grilled up some chicken, cut it up, and mixed it into the sauce. You can do the same with pork or beef (or pour it over enchiladas, or anything else for that matter).

The most readily available brand I see around here is Dona Maria. It comes in jars in a thick paste or in ready to use cartons. It's good stuff but I prefer the paste in jars as it has more flavor and heat to it (you'll need to mix in maybe 4 cups of broth to dissolve the very thick paste).

I think this is the brand I used last time: (https://www.amazon.com/Mole-Negro-O...ocphy=9031199&hvtargid=pla-624030831087&psc=1)

If it is the same brand I'm thinking of, this is my favorite thus far. What you add to the paste is up to you. Neither have a pronounced chocolate flavor, so it's not like you're going to be tasting Hershey's syrup or anything like that. There's also a green version called Pipian which incorporates pumpkin seeds however it's a very different flavor profile than mole negro or rojo.

Find Doña Maria Sauce in glass jar with metal lid. Open with bottle opener/can opener. Add a little broth, add grated mexican chocolate or peanut butter, some people do both or have a preference for one or the other. Buy a rotisserie chicken, cut up, simmer in sauce for a bit. Done. Chicken mole. Or you could:

Find Doña Maria Sauce in glass jar with metal lid. Open with bottle opener/can opener. Add a little broth, add grated mexican chocolate or peanut butter, some people do both or have a preference for one or the other. Buy a rotisserie chicken, cut up, simmer in sauce for a bit. Done. Chicken mole. Or you could:
The wife has made various Rick Bayless recipe and although they are all great she stopped because they all have about 10,000 ingredients! I guess Mole is my next adventure. Thanks!

A friend planted Blueberry bushes about 5 years ago and he finally got a bumper crop and passed some off to me so I made a cobbler type dish we usually do with apples. Very tasty!
Edit to say.....sorry I couldn’t get the photos in the right order but I’m sure you get the idea.

Attachments

• A90AD3CA-C683-4380-BC85-51B5FBE9D511.jpeg
    A90AD3CA-C683-4380-BC85-51B5FBE9D511.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 23BD37CF-FA35-48BA-AA35-D1D5153CA685.jpeg
    23BD37CF-FA35-48BA-AA35-D1D5153CA685.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 6
  • B04390DD-629F-4FAF-8231-D4FEB9494BB4.jpeg
    B04390DD-629F-4FAF-8231-D4FEB9494BB4.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 5
Simple dinner on the grill tonight -- I went to the local grocery store in search of something for dinner, and found ripe peaches and decided to work a dish around that. Grilled pork tenderloin, grilled peaches, sauteed zucchini noodles, all on a bed of spinach.

The wife and I have been on a clean eating plan for the last 40 days. Lean meat, veggies, and fruit. We've both cooked some very tasty dishes on this routine, and I feel better than I have in years.
Amy really looks great these days!

Made more Italian sausage this past week with a couple of friends. This one recipe I think we have down. Takes us about 2 hours to cut, spice and mix. We let it sit refrigerated for a day and then separate the poundage for the hot, grind the sweet, add the remaining spices for the hot, grind that and then stuff it all in about 3 hours. 70 pounds total, 30 hot and 40 sweet. 2A6A188F-23BF-4DA3-8482-D4C345CDEBCA.jpeg2E2E5146-DC1E-4428-80DB-BCAE74ACF4CD.jpegFF5C62E1-872B-4A48-9753-B9F565AC6140.jpeg1DB9A945-10E0-40EE-8224-0316085A156D.jpeg2987E76A-DD54-4308-BFBB-F4A94AAB728A.jpeg

Last edited:
The wife and I have been on a clean eating plan for the last 40 days. Lean meat, veggies, and fruit. We've both cooked some very tasty dishes on this routine, and I feel better than I have in years.
Can you point me towards any resource for clean eating?