• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Looks delicious! What wood did you use at what temp? Mine always are way darker when I smoke em.
I agree when I smoke a turkey the skin is black......too ugly to ever try and eat. I would have trouble keeping that skin away from my carnivores.....I mean family.

Oh by the way I made stock out of the Thanksgiving carcasses.....soup in a day or two.

Looks delicious! What wood did you use at what temp? Mine always are way darker when I smoke em.

I agree when I smoke a turkey the skin is black......too ugly to ever try and eat. I would have trouble keeping that skin away from my carnivores.....I mean family.

Oh by the way I made stock out of the Thanksgiving carcasses.....soup in a day or two.

I smoked with pecan chunks and kept it at 250 degrees. Figured 30 minutes a pound (8ish hr smoke), but it was done in 6 hrs. I also brined it for 24 hrs, rubbed the outside with EVOO and put a spice rub on. Here it is cut up. Successful and I'll be doing one for Christmas as well;

20191201_175948.jpg

Nice and juicy, from the brine.

I smoked with pecan chunks and kept it at 250 degrees. Figured 30 minutes a pound (8ish hr smoke), but it was done in 6 hrs. I also brined it for 24 hrs, rubbed the outside with EVOO and put a spice rub on. Here it is cut up. Successful and I'll be doing one for Christmas as well;

View attachment 28793

Good looking turkey dude!

View attachment 28793

Propane smoker, right?

Well, it looks amazing. I usually smoke my turkeys hotter and I have a charcoal smoker, maybe that is the difference.

I had an offset charcoal/wood smoker for years and I never attempted a turkey. It was way too hard for me, to keep the damn thing at a consistent temperature. If you can keep it between 250-300, with a brine before, I bet you'll have a good one as well.

Do you use a water pan as well?

I had an offset charcoal/wood smoker for years and I never attempted a turkey. It was way too hard for me, to keep the damn thing at a consistent temperature. If you can keep it between 250-300, with a brine before, I bet you'll have a good one as well.

Do you use a water pan as well?
No water pan. I have a UDS I made from a 55 gallon barrel. Holds temps rock steady. My smoked turkeys have always been fantastic, just noticeably darker than yours so was curious to the cause. The black skin actually tastes fantastic surprisingly, almost like a bark.

Not a Nice Person - it all looks delicious! Do you share recipes? Q-Ball

I don't really HAVE recipes. I just cook! 😂

Seriously, I haven't measured anything in decades for most of what I cook. It's all by eye, by taste, and by putting the love in the food. If I'm doing something like Tom Kha Gai or Pho or Chicken Cordon Bleu, I'll sorta follow the recipe, but I go "off script" at the drop of a spatula.

But the scalloped potatoes are surprisingly easy: white potatoes, heavy cream, Gruyere cheese, S & P to taste. Slice thin, layer like a lasagna, bake. Takes about 2 hours or so, last 30 minutes uncovered to brown the top. And once you've had them .....

8c6c436b5c3f469bc611c3a2076ad739.jpg

~Boar

I don't really HAVE recipes. I just cook! 😂

Seriously, I haven't measured anything in decades for most of what I cook. It's all by eye, by taste, and by putting the love in the food. If I'm doing something like Tom Kha Gai or Pho or Chicken Cordon Bleu, I'll sorta follow the recipe, but I go "off script" at the drop of a spatula.

But the scalloped potatoes are surprisingly easy: white potatoes, heavy cream, Gruyere cheese, S & P to taste. Slice thin, layer like a lasagna, bake. Takes about 2 hours or so, last 30 minutes uncovered to brown the top. And once you've had them .....

8c6c436b5c3f469bc611c3a2076ad739.jpg

~Boar
I'm very much the same way. I rarely follow a recipe unless I'm doing something elaborate that I've never tried before. Usually I just use my gut. Just about every time I cook something for the GF and I, she'll ask me if i should look up a recipe and i just roll my eyes.

One time I told her I was going to make some chicken fajitas and she asked me to find a recipe. I nearly threw a pan at her. I don't need no stinking recipe to cook up some fajitas, dammit.

Fresh figs cut in half, some of the seeds removed and cavity filled with Gorgonzola then wrapped in a half piece of prosciutto and baked for 20 minutes on 400. Also drizzled with a mixture of reduced balsamic and honey.
BC755A97-F398-454B-9F4E-BFD568DA67FC.jpeg

Fresh figs cut in half, some of the seeds removed and cavity filled with Gorgonzola then wrapped in a half piece of prosciutto and baked for 20 minutes on 400. Also drizzled with a mixture of reduced balsamic and honey.
View attachment 28879
Holy hell that sounds amazing! Thanks for the recipe, but where did you find fresh figs this time of year?
Reminds me, I need to wrap my trees before it gets too cold.
Can’t wait to try this one next year.

Holy hell that sounds amazing! Thanks for the recipe, but where did you find fresh figs this time of year?
Reminds me, I need to wrap my trees before it gets too cold.
Can’t wait to try this one next year.
Every day item in most grocery stores.......next time I’m going to half with goat cheese.

Every day item in most grocery stores.......next time I’m going to half with goat cheese.

you can’t find them here anywhere. Only way to get them is online or to grow them yourself.