• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When Will Cuba Invest in Cigars?

Went to public school in a state with an underfunded public education system in the south. You can not produce much if the school underfunded.
Gotcha! I was wondering if English wasn't your first language. A grammar Nazi in my opinion is someone who gets bent out of shape because someone doesn't put a comma in the right place, or uses words like they're/their/there in the wrong tense.

I have to admit that it's pretty hard to decipher what you are trying to say sometimes. I have to read, and re-read it to grasp what you're trying to convey.

So glad that this wasn’t my thread. A Good initial post.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as this forum doesn't get too many discussions about CC in general. I had a second part to this topic after getting everyone's initial thoughts about how cavalier Cuba is in the handling of their tobacco.

I was then going to ask everyone's opinion on the ups & downs and inconsistency in the staple blends in their time of smoking Cuban cigars. I really wanted you newer smoker's opinions of how you rated them in relation to the non-Cuban cigars you smoke. When you've been born into the new age of CC and don't know of or have experienced smoking a CC prior to...say, 1997...I wanted your honest opinions. How do they stack up to the rest of the market? Do you REALLY enjoy them?...or do you get swayed by the fact that they're the forbidden fruit and say they're good, when in fact, you may not enjoy them as much as you let on.

It's a bit different for those of us who have been smoking them for a good many years and especially prior to the seed change. When Bill (CigSid) sends me a cigar pre-1997...those familiar flavors come back to me in an instant of what I was used to for 25+ years of smoking them exclusively. As I smoke it, I have thoughts of wishing all of you could have experienced what I took for granted for all that time. Then, when I approach the end, sadness sets in that the experience is almost over. It's crazy...like a roller coaster of emotions as I smoke the cigar. Go figure.

But, that where I was headed with this whole thing.

So, as they say....

Never Mind.jpg

I have smoked a CC here and there and with the exception of Siglo XI, and can pass on them. Burn, construction, sick, always seems to be some sort of issue.

The Siglo is kinda of a unicorn for me. The great one I had was the most amazing smoke of my life, but damn, all the bad or just OK ones to get to one that hits on all 8

Is it worth it?

T

I have only been into the CC heavy for less than 2 years.
Have to say, I love them, and only smoke an NC maybe once a month now.

Still love a good Illusione or Tatuaje, but not much NC else really does if for me anymore.

I got seriously into cigars a little over 2.5 years ago, NC only. Then 2 years ago I purchased my first CC after dabbling, thanks to some awesome members here, and I have never looked back. Now when I smoke some of the left over NC stock I purchased from before, I can tell a big difference. What resonates with my palate is definitely CC. I no longer buy NC's. Not to say I dislike all NC, I have so much stock now I have no reason to buy more NC. I have never tried anything very old and would be afraid to at this point. If I found out I loved them, I'd be screwed financially.

I got seriously into cigars a little over 2.5 years ago, NC only. Then 2 years ago I purchased my first CC after dabbling, thanks to some awesome members here, and I have never looked back. Now when I smoke some of the left over NC stock I purchased from before, I can tell a big difference. What resonates with my palate is definitely CC. I no longer buy NC's. Not to say I dislike all NC, I have so much stock now I have no reason to buy more NC. I have never tried anything very old and would be afraid to at this point. If I found out I loved them, I'd be screwed financially.

I'm in the same boat. I've only had stuff from the early 00's at the oldest.

I'm perfectly happy with the current flavors present in CC's.

I much prefer the baking spice flavors of the CC to the cooking spice flavors of the NC.

*Edited errors, now that I'm sober*

Last edited:
My opinion might not be credible only because of my limited cc experience. I have had only two cc’s that have left me wanting more. One was a Connie A and the other was a Monti Edmundo. I’ve had in total more enjoyable smokes from the nc realm than the cc; I’m sure that is mainly because the amount of nc I have available. My thought on the cc’s I have had resembles MXs’ thoughts above. It does seem that cc’s need more rest before they are ready. It is probably worth it but I don’t know if I have the patience to wait on them. I can get a lot of enjoyment out of a My Father, Tat or a Caldwell.

I smoked my first cigar on a trip to the beach with my little Brother in July of 2007. I'm sure it was horrible since it came out of the counter top humidor at the hotel's poolside bar. Of course I thought it was great hanging out on the beach, drinking beer and smoking a cigar with my Brother.

I smoked my first CC on one of those same beach trips with my Brother either the next year or the year after. I know they were genuine since I reached out to the King and he hooked me up. :) Thanks again Greg! I don't really recall much about the flavor profile other than they were Cuban! :D

I dabbled for a few more years before getting more serious. Because of all the knowledge passed around here I've smoked many great NC from Arturo Fuente to Zino. But like many here I started smoking more CC until now they are probably 90% of what I smoke. When they are good (and they mostly are) the flavor profile is very different from any NC. For some reason over the past few years I will occasionally get what I can only describe as a floral profile that I find very pleasing.

Sorry for rambling and I hope I at least partially answered the questions in the OP.

I much prefer the baking spice flavors of the NC to the cooking spice flavors of the NC.
I imagine you meant baking spices in CC and that's an interesting way to describe the differences. I've never heard that before.

I'm right there along with @Scap and @George Scott in terms of my ratio of NC to CC lately. I've got a healthy stock of the old reliables, Fuente Opus/Anejo and Padron, but I've touched them maybe five times this year. I can definitely say that once I lit up that first RASS from @Backslide a few years back I knew which direction my future dollars were headed. I figure it may be a good thing I wasn't into cigars pre-97. There is no missing what I've never had in regards to the seed change .

Yep, agree with the above. Switched over to cc’s about 6 months after starting the hobby and hanging around here. I legitimately like them more and rarely if ever reach for a NC. In an effort to be unbiased and fair, I actually worked out a deal with a member here to trade them a few boxes of my favorite cc’s for their favorite boutique brands. All in all I bet we traded 30 cigars? Some excellent showings in the boutiques, but despite the efforts, I didn’t make a single box purchase. NC’s are a change of pace smoke for me, and even then only AF, Illusione, and Warped really get me.

I imagine you meant baking spices in CC and that's an interesting way to describe the differences. I've never heard that before.

I'm right there along with @Scap and @George Scott in terms of my ratio of NC to CC lately. I've got a healthy stock of the old reliables, Fuente Opus/Anejo and Padron, but I've touched them maybe five times this year. I can definitely say that once I lit up that first RASS from @Backslide a few years back I knew which direction my future dollars were headed. I figure it may be a good thing I wasn't into cigars pre-97. There is no missing what I've never had in regards to the seed change .

You're correct, I was deep into the rum I was drinking with that Encantos last night.

I actually think it is funny that people seem to question the wisdom of the Cuban Govermennt not investing more in their Cigar industry. We American's sometimes IMHO need to keep out noses, influence, military out of were it does not belong. We have enough of our own problem at home to fix.

Recently Warren Buffet who is a smart guy, know how to make money, bought a group of automotive dealerships. The experts at the L.A. Times who write Business News for the Times question Buffet wisdom in a story about Buffet's decision to buy the car dealerships, because of many current trends in the auto buying industry. Why did Buffet do it, what does Buffet know?

I wonder if the Times expert writers have any actually business experience, or just a business degree, and were that by a PHd a lot of degrees, but real no business experience.

As I understand it the Cuban cigar industry is owned by the Goverment of Cuba. Just maybe they are like the local small business man who someone keep tell to franchise, but he isw happy the way thing are with his little business the way is is running.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Cuban Cigars are like the very first Datsun "240 Z" cars, people are standing in line to buy them.

I actually think it is funny that people seem to question the wisdom of the Cuban Govermennt not investing more in their Cigar industry. We American's sometimes IMHO need to keep out noses, influence, military out of were it does not belong. We have enough of our own problem at home to fix.

Recently Warren Buffet who is a smart guy, know how to make money, bought a group of automotive dealerships. The experts at the L.A. Times who write Business News for the Times question Buffet wisdom in a story about Buffet's decision to buy the car dealerships, because of many current trends in the auto buying industry. Why did Buffet do it, what does Buffet know?

I wonder if the Times expert writers have any actually business experience, or just a business degree, and were that by a PHd a lot of degrees, but real no business experience.

As I understand it the Cuban cigar industry is owned by the Goverment of Cuba. Just maybe they are like the local small business man who someone keep tell to franchise, but he isw happy the way thing are with his little business the way is is running.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Cuban Cigars are like the very first Datsun "240 Z" cars, people are standing in line to buy them.
OMG, I've bit my tongue long enough. Would you just shut the fuck up!?