• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who wants to raise tobacco?

MrMaduro, I am new here and haven't established myself yet, but I am interested in some seeds as well. Is there a way I can reimburse you for the cost of the shipping and seeds, send my end first essentially, and you could send me some seeds? I am moving into my first house this month, and would love to try my hand at something like this. Thanks either way, and I look forward to hearing of more of your exploits growing that wonderful plant!

Brian,
I got my seeds in the mail this morning. I look forward to watching them grow. I have been growing some beans in my kitchen window for practice. This should be fun. Thanks again.

Seeds arrived today! I got to pick out a much better spot for growing this year. What's the best thing to keep those daggum aphids off the plants?? They covered mine last year.

Got mine too! Thank you sir. But what about those of us in places where there is no last frost? Lol (Southern SC)
Chris

Got mine too! Thank you sir. But what about those of us in places where there is no last frost? Lol (Southern SC)
Chris

I'm getting ready to start mine, using one of those trays from Wallyworld where all you do is put the seeds in, wet it, and put the top on. I'll keep mine indoors and by the time they start sprouting good, the frosty weather should be gone. I started way late last year, gonna try to stay ahead of it this time.

Chris

Chris,
Since you don't have frost I guess your running behind.LOL!!! Get a seed starter tray, these are available at most home and garden centers. If you get the ones with individual compartments try to put only 2-4 seeds in each compartment, this will save you some time in the future. As you noticed the seeds are very tiny, the easiest way I've found to do this is fold a business card length wise, or any type of rigid paper. Then place some seeds in the crease, using a knife scrape a few seeds on to each section of the tray. This really makes it go pretty quick, plus it doesn't take to long later when it's time to thin them down to only one plant per section. After sowing your seeds moisten the soil be very careful not to wash off the seeds, also DO NOT cover the seeds with any soil, they need light to germinate. Then after they are 6-8 inches tall transplant them to where they will live the rest of their lives. If you have any questions let me know.

Greg,
This is where you might have an advantage over the others. Hopefully you still have some of your leaves from last years crop, even the moldy leaves will work for this. Grind up some of the cured leaves into a fine powder, add 1 tablespoon of this powder, 1 tablespoon of finely ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon dish washing detergent. Add these to 1 gallon of water. Then using a spray bottle or garden sprayer, spray your plants once a week, or after each rain, once you start to see these little critters. Then you should not have any more bugs.

Chris

Chris,
Since you don't have frost I guess your running behind.LOL!!! Get a seed starter tray, these are available at most home and garden centers. If you get the ones with individual compartments try to put only 2-4 seeds in each compartment, this will save you some time in the future. As you noticed the seeds are very tiny, the easiest way I've found to do this is fold a business card length wise, or any type of rigid paper. Then place some seeds in the crease, using a knife scrape a few seeds on to each section of the tray. This really makes it go pretty quick, plus it doesn't take to long later when it's time to thin them down to only one plant per section. After sowing your seeds moisten the soil be very careful not to wash off the seeds, also DO NOT cover the seeds with any soil, they need light to germinate. Then after they are 6-8 inches tall transplant them to where they will live the rest of their lives. If you have any questions let me know.

Greg,
This is where you might have an advantage over the others. Hopefully you still have some of your leaves from last years crop, even the moldy leaves will work for this. Grind up some of the cured leaves into a fine powder, add 1 tablespoon of this powder, 1 tablespoon of finely ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon dish washing detergent. Add these to 1 gallon of water. Then using a spray bottle or garden sprayer, spray your plants once a week, or after each rain, once you start to see these little critters. Then you should not have any more bugs.

Great info!

MrMaduro, did you get my PM sir? :thumbs:

Chris

Chris,

Greg,

Ah man, I have none left. I actually just threw away a ton of the leftover moldy leaves too. Ah well. So what else works? I have some sevin dust! :D Bet that would smoke good huh?

Greg,
Actually Sevin dust would be the only commercially produced pesticide that would be acceptable. It cannot be any type of systemic pesticide, these would be absorbed into the leaves. Later on I'll have some of the tobacco dust available, for anyone that needs some.

Received mine this morning. Will be joining the rest in research and then getting started. Thanks a lot!

Later this evening I'll start a new thread that covers everything about raising your own tobacco. I'll cover everything from sowing the seeds to curing your own tobacco. Later I'll go in to the fermentation process, right now I'm still trying to learn that as well. Maybe Rod could pin that thread so everyone can reference it easily.