• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Xikar hygro accuracy VS. Wal-Mart hygro. accuracy

Goldie

I just bought the two pack of Xikar digital hygros from Rod. I got them and wanted to salt test them for accuracy, and calibration so I can know the exact RH in my new humi. So I take the cheapo hygro. along with the Xikar, and place them in a ziploc baggy with the salt solution. The next morning the cheapo hygro was reading 75%, and the Xikar was indicating 72%.

Here is the question, which one should I believe as being more accurate. I want to think the Xikar is the most accurate, but the cheapo hygro was indicating 75% as it was supposed to. I guess it really isn't that big of a deal, we are only talking a few percent, but I guess I am just being particular. What do you guys think?

If you did the test right, the cheapo is correct. If you were just going to go off the Xikar one, why bother testing at all?

Well you would think the cheapo is more accurate, but my experience has told me that bagging them isn't quite enough. A single bag is somewhat permeable, and subject to fluctuations if it is disturbed. When I salt test, I get a clear piece of good tupperware, tape all hygros facing outward so I can read them from the outside, set the shotglass of slurry in the center, double ziplok the entire thing, and let it sit 12-24 hours.

If the cheapo still reads 75, it's accurate....albeit an anomoly IMO, but accurate.

Yeah the Xikars are adjustable, but I need to get it right at 75% in order to calibrate.

That is a good question as to why I decided to salt test both since I was just going to run the Xikar, I guess I was just wondering for personal knowledge.

My experience:

Digital Wally World Hygro: +9% above the actual rH.

Not-A-Wally-World Hygro: -2% below actual rH.

Xikar hygro for the win! :thumbs:

Go get a Boveda Calibration Kit. Leave it in the bag for 3 days and then adjust it. The bags are calibrated to 75.5%

Actually...with the Bovida calibration kit, it only takes 24 hours. If the Xikar hygro read 72% instead of the expected 75%...you just adjust it 3 clicks clockwise so that it reads 75%. After making the adjustment, you can recheck it using the salt test again. I've got two Hygroset II's which I believe are the exact same hygrometer as the Xikar, except that they both came with Bovida calibration kits. I've only had mine a couple of weeks, but I couldn't imagine using anything else. :thumbs:

I have one from wal-mart ??? . I think it works pretty nice tho, it stores the high and lows on both temp and the humidity .

I just salt tested my wal-mart hygro meter and it was spot on.

As they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. It's entirely possible that a wal-mart "cheapo" could read spot on. That's great luck.

BR

Actually...with the Bovida calibration kit, it only takes 24 hours. If the Xikar hygro read 72% instead of the expected 75%...you just adjust it 3 clicks clockwise so that it reads 75%. After making the adjustment, you can recheck it using the salt test again. I've got two Hygroset II's which I believe are the exact same hygrometer as the Xikar, except that they both came with Bovida calibration kits. I've only had mine a couple of weeks, but I couldn't imagine using anything else. :thumbs:

With the Xikar don't you just press down the green diamond in the middle and that resets the hygros reading to 75%? ???

I'm with smokintexas, just press the button while it's still in the ziplock to calibrate the Xikar. At least that's what I do with mine and it seems to work just fine.

I've had cheap ones that were dead on and more expensive ones that weren't - and vice versa. You're spinning the wheel with them If you're really stuck on accuracy, get an adjustable.

With the Xikar don't you just press down the green diamond in the middle and that resets the hygros reading to 75%? ???

Yes.

You guys with the cheapo Springfield Precision must be real lucky because mine are about 15%RH off. The xikar is the way to go, the only other that's close is the little havana dead on within 1%.

I put my Western Caliber III in the calibration kit about 12 hours ago and it's reading 74%; it still has 12-24 more hours to go in the bag.

I've had cheap ones that were dead on and more expensive ones that weren't - and vice versa. You're spinning the wheel with them If you're really stuck on accuracy, get an adjustable.

Yep, it's a crap shoot with anything except lab quality equipment.....even then they need to be calibrated.

I put my WallyWorld one into a salt-test last night so tonight I'll see how it's sitting. This morning it was sitting at 71%...

I guess I lucked up cause I got in indoor/outdoor hygro from Wally-world in my coolerdor, and it's spot on 65% (with 65% beads). Salt tested perfect.