• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Adventures In Home Inspection (Some May Be NSFW)

So I’m walking around this attic trying to get some good pictures of a damaged roof truss from a roof leak that must have been going on for quite some time. When all of a sudden I feel something below me that just didn’t feel right. “Did the ceiling just fuggin collapse below me?” I look down and can still see insulation…. “WTF?” So I get down to see this peeking out from the bedroom door. It was the longest walk ever to go downstairs to get the homeowner.
4EE0E1DC-2AE6-48BA-8590-A253023E221D.jpeg

I find the wife and take her upstairs to show her. Obviously she’s upset. “I don’t understand! I didn’t fall through or step on the drywall.. It’s as if just stepping on the insulation and compressing the insulation caused the ceiling to fail.”

“Charles! I told you Jose did a shitty job fixing the ceiling!” she yells downstairs. Turns out they let that leak go ages before they got the roof replaced. If you don’t know, when drywall gets wet over a period of time, the gypsum gets crumbly, and their handyman just tried to repair what was there over cutting out and replacing the damaged section. They were pretty cool about it and didn’t try to play the hold me responsible card. I even offered to pay for the damage, but they wouldn’t hear it. Some people still do the right thing! 😎
Whew! I was freaking out prior to that.

BFA2E8F4-8C66-405C-B5FE-A3AB126F5F4E.jpeg1B1EAFED-33CE-4848-8EC3-17F7C3435FFB.jpeg

So I’m walking around this attic trying to get some good pictures of a damaged roof truss from a roof leak that must have been going on for quite some time. When all of a sudden I feel something below me that just didn’t feel right. “Did the ceiling just fuggin collapse below me?” I look down and can still see insulation…. “WTF?” So I get down to see this peeking out from the bedroom door. It was the longest walk ever to go downstairs to get the homeowner.
View attachment 54406

I find the wife and take her upstairs to show her. Obviously she’s upset. “I don’t understand! I didn’t fall through or step on the drywall.. It’s as if just stepping on the insulation and compressing the insulation caused the ceiling to fail.”

“Charles! I told you Jose did a shitty job fixing the ceiling!” she yells downstairs. Turns out they let that leak go ages before they got the roof replaced. If you don’t know, when drywall gets wet over a period of time, the gypsum gets crumbly, and their handyman just tried to repair what was there over cutting out and replacing the damaged section. They were pretty cool about it and didn’t try to play the hold me responsible card. I even offered to pay for the damage, but they wouldn’t hear it. Some people still do the right thing! 😎

View attachment 54407View attachment 54408
Nice to know there are still some honest people out there!

View attachment 54406

View attachment 54407View attachment 54408

Time to cut back on all those NEIPAs.

I work at a title/escrow company. It's unreal what we see on the appraisals and inspections. In this market, buyers are willing to put a contract on an outhouse - and it probably has seven competing offers!😆
It’s the same here! Really wearing me out too. People are doing nothing to get their homes ready for market and getting way more money. I just assumed that was only my way due to our close proximity to DC with all its Federal Government and military.

It’s the same here! Really wearing me out too. People are doing nothing to get their homes ready for market and getting way more money. I just assumed that was only my way due to our close proximity to DC with all its Federal Government and military.
I thinks all over the U.S. not like a few years ago with all the HGTV addicts demanding new roofs and closing costs paid, etc. now buyers are offering their first born only to find out three competing offers have offered up the same😂

I thinks all over the U.S. not like a few years ago with all the HGTV addicts demanding new roofs and closing costs paid, etc. now buyers are offering their first born only to find out three competing offers have offered up the same😂
About 6 years ago when looking for our current place, it was like this. Took as awhile to find something we liked, usually a flip of some sort in a nice area, and we would come in bidding full asking price, and then get bested by offers over asking price. Some of them were ridiculous. One of the last places looked nice but the yard was tiny, a mess, a 1 car garage that in our mind we planned to rip down and build a 2 car, and needed a complete driveway. They were asking more than similar homes in the area, and probably 10k over our limit, but we went for it. I don’t think we got more than 20 min away when we got a call it was shot down by a higher offer (a blessing in disguise probably).

I literally started to look at home that weren’t even listed yet, some I found online on my own, some the realtor found…sometimes I just looked for houses that had a dumpster out front and looked online for when it was sold last, just to see if it was being flipped.

When I found the house we are in, it was a partial flip and the sign wasn’t even up yet before I had the realtor contact them. We literally saw it hours before it went on the market officially because I was persistent and we took time off work to do so in the middle of the day. Made an offer 5k over asking, which was also well over similar comps in the area, about 5 min after we left. We got a call as it was going on the market that night that they wanted to wait for “other offers”, but they liked the offer. Later that night they accepted.

And we still need some partial driveway work and I have a bathroom upstairs to redo but all in all it’s been a very nice place. Getting contractors to even look at the bathroom is like your peeling off their fingernails just to try and give them money…so I’ll probably do it myself this year.

Yeah, finding people that want to work is also a major issue. Contractors are just as bombarded now as ever here.